PDA

View Full Version : Washington DC?

Jake Helmboldt
07-28-2006, 9:55 PM
I'll be in DC for the next five days; is there anything wood-related that is worth seeing? Any museums happen to have any wood-related exhibits?

What about stores or studios of woodworkers that do anything worth oggling?

thanks, Jake

Forrest Price
07-28-2006, 10:00 PM
Ummm...Smithsonian would be an EXCELLENT place to start!! Went to DC 3 yrs ago, can hardly wait to go back. So much to see, so little time!

Mike Henderson
07-28-2006, 10:09 PM
The State Department has a great collection of American furniture. I don't know what you have to do to get a tour, however. Maybe check their web site.

The collection is documented in the book, "Treasures of State: Fine and Decorative Arts in the Diplomatic Reception Rooms of the U.S. Department of State."

Mike

Mark Pruitt
07-28-2006, 10:13 PM
Ditto the Smithsonian. It is so vast there is bound to be something that you would find worthy of your time.
Mark

Bill Simmeth
07-28-2006, 10:55 PM
You may also like the National Building Museum... http://www.nbm.org It is obviously geared more toward construction, but they have a major exhibit on F.L. Wright and a general skew toward design. I found it very interesting.

Carl Hill
07-28-2006, 11:52 PM
Hey Jake, It's a little drive, but don't miss Colonial Williamsburg. Well worth the time.

Have fun,
Carl

Calvin Hobbs
07-29-2006, 1:10 AM
Of course my ideas are based on our 18th century American culture, That said...

Gunston Hall, home of George Mason. A neighbor of George Washington, a little South down the Potomac.

Just the thought of all the handwork on its ornate interiors is mind-boggling.

A bit of furniture there also.

Also, Mount Vernon, Kenmore(fredericksburg), Hampton, Homewood (baltimore). Paca House, Hammond-Harwood House(Annapolis), Old town Alexandria.

No shortage of things to see in and around DC.

Cal