PDA

View Full Version : One thing just leads to another;

Kenneth George
07-28-2006, 8:08 PM
Hello everyone, I have posted in the past in the Turning section and in the Neanderthal section and now I thought I would post my latest finished project in this section trying to get to know everyone.

Well to talk about this particular project I think you have to know what the intention was. I have a Leigh Dovetail Jig the D1600 model and as you may or may not know that is a pretty expensive jig. In my small shop I found myself moving the jig from one place or another depending on what area I was working in. So last week I decided to make a shelf for it so I could place it on the wall out of the way. I cut a piece of Baltic Birch to serve as the shelf but decided I really don’t like looking at the edge of plywood so I created a molding from some Wenge that I had and covered the edge. Then I got to thinking that I would like a drawer or two underneath it so I could put all the stuff that goes with the jig in the same spot. After that I thought well, it would be nice to have a place to put the book and the little setup cheat sheets I have made so I raised the shelf off of the drawer carcass with turned Ebony columns.

So this is how my simple little shelf ended up turning out. It is made from Baltic Birch, Wenge, Poplar, Walnut and Ebony. All the wood used was scrap falloffs from other projects. The design ended up being rather contemporary I think and was defiantly a “Design on the Fly” kind of project. The main carcass is mitered and joined with biscuits then edged in 1/8” Wenge.

http://www.theturnersshop.com/images/Shelf/DSCF1990.jpg

The top is Baltic Birch surrounded with a custom molding made from Wenge. It is mitered and joined to the top with splines. I am going to attach some clear rubber dots to the top to protect it and also keep the jig from sliding around due to the slickness of the finish.

http://www.theturnersshop.com/images/Shelf/DSCF1983.jpg

The design is kind of based on the dovetail look so the columns are turned bow ties of Ebony. The drawers are joined with through dovetails and the knobs were turned with the dovetail tail look in mind out of Ebony.

http://www.theturnersshop.com/images/Shelf/DSCF1986.jpg

My wife is kind of having fun with me on this one. She says that I will now have to redo all the cabinets in my shop as they will look terrible to me now! She says I am a bit “Out of control”.

Thanks for having a look at a project gone wild!

Ken

Ken Fitzgerald
07-28-2006, 8:11 PM
Ken.........Fantastic work! Come on over to my shop....bring you jig and have a ball!

Don Baer
07-28-2006, 8:12 PM
My wife is kind of having fun with me on this one. She says that I will now have to redo all the cabinets in my shop as they will look terrible to me now! She says I am a bit “Out of control”.

Thanks for having a look at a project gone wild!

Ken

WOW Ken that is gorgous. She might be right about redoing the cabinates though.:rolleyes:

Lee DeRaud
07-28-2006, 8:19 PM
Let me get this straight: this is a tool-storage cabinet? For the shop?!?

My kitchen cabinets don't look that good.

This is Lee in Anaheim....looking down....shaking his head...
(Hey, somebody has to...)

Steve Clardy
07-28-2006, 8:24 PM
Looks great!!

Bryan Somers
07-28-2006, 8:26 PM
What a fly by the seat of your pants design. That is a beautiful piece.

Do I understand correctly, thats for your shop?:confused:

Jim Becker
07-28-2006, 8:59 PM
That's a really interesting and unique design! Great job!

Corey Hallagan
07-28-2006, 10:40 PM
LOL... that is quite an elegant fixture storage shelf! Very nice indeed! So when do you start on the cabinets?

Corey

John Miliunas
07-28-2006, 10:47 PM
Ahhhh, Ken, your wife is right!!! (And I don't even know what the rest of your shop looks like!!:D ) That's gorgeous! I can't wait to see what a project for your home looks like!!! :D :cool:

Dick Strauss
07-28-2006, 11:03 PM
Ken,
Let me help you with your wife. You need to put it in the right perspective for her. You could always send that beauty my way so that she doesn't have anything so nice to compare with your shop. Let me know if this sounds good to you and I'll send my address. I'll even pay for shipping...just trying to help you out of course!

Seriously though...that is too nice to hold tools. Maybe it should be holding jewels instead of tools!

Very nice work,
Dick