PDA

View Full Version : 220V Table saw off of a generator?

Mark Rios
07-28-2006, 6:47 PM
I've only got conflicting answers over at another forum in the last couple of days so I need the expertise and tremendous knowledge base that the Creek has to offer.

I have two issues that I need answers to before I will FINALLY get a new 1023SL. Here's one of them:

Will I be able to run a 220v 1023sl off of a generator? Will a 6500 watt be big enough? Do I need a 7500 watt generator? I won't buy the 110v model so that's not an option.

I don't need to use a generator most of the time but I do need to be able to just in case. I've got access to a 220v source that is approximately 20" away from my trailer right now so I can run one of my 16 gauge cords.......just teasin'......I can run an 8 or 10 gauge cord from the saw to the outlet. I've got a welder extension cord from one of our old shops.

Thanks very much for your advice and expertise.

Don Baer
07-28-2006, 6:57 PM
The grizz web site doesn't give the FLA rating for the motor they use. Assuming 15 amps at 220V and 1.5 Overload factor that 4950 watts so the 6500 watt generator should be fine. You might hear it slow down a little on start up of the saw but thats nowmal when starting a load across the line.

Mike Cutler
07-28-2006, 9:28 PM
Yes it will work. We use generators that size for portable aircompressors, and security lighting all the time.

One tip.

Pay Attention to the Grounding of the machine.

One more tip.

Pay Attention To The Grounding Of The Machine.;)