PDA

View Full Version : My Pecan turned into an egg......

Barry Stratton
07-26-2006, 3:33 AM
Pecan moves a "tad" based on my very unscientific sample of one.

Remember that little thin bowl I finished turned a few weeks back........ pulled it off the shelf and noticed it went egg on me.:eek: Cracked as well. I just pulled my NE attempt out of the DNA bath and wrapped `er up to sit a while and dry.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
07-26-2006, 6:26 AM
I had one do that last night on the lathe (on the new stand :D).

I bathed the roughed bowl in DNA for 48+ hours, and then did the outside brown paper thing, then left it for a good month. It cracked and moved to beat heck. I finished turned it, and left it on the lathe for sanding today, it moved so much, I gave up, no point.

I guess poop happens :D

Ken Fitzgerald
07-26-2006, 8:12 AM
Barry.........sorry to hear that! I've got an NE of pecan I'm finishing with danish oil as we speak! I was hoping it WOULD distort ....I never thought about cracking..........Oops! Sorry to see you little bowl cracked!

Corey Hallagan
07-26-2006, 8:53 AM
Shoot! Sorry to hear about the problems Barry!

corey

Tom Jones III
07-26-2006, 9:19 AM
I've got a piece of pecan that I rough turned to 1/2" thick for a 7" diameter bowl. It warped 3/4" but did not crack. I guess I was lucky but it is going to be hard to turn!

Tom Sherman
07-26-2006, 10:58 AM
Barry that's the pitts, but it does happen.

Bernie Weishapl
07-28-2006, 6:53 PM
Sorry to hear about the problems Barry. Sometimes they were meant for the firewood pile. I just had a Elm wood platter split right down the middle clear across.