PDA

View Full Version : saw set question

Bob Hallowell
07-25-2006, 10:24 PM
I picked up a new set at the flee market the other day. I am new to sharpening and setting my saws. Mike W. Has hleped me along before. My question is, is the set I have been using (lright) had the number it for the teeth. I know this is just rough but the new one (left) doesn't have anything at all written on it. It just feels so much smoother and easier to use. I was wondering if anyone else had one like it and used it and had a way to figure were to set it with out alot of trail and error?

Thanks,
Bob

Mike Wenzloff
07-25-2006, 11:06 PM
Hi Bob,

Without looking it up, I don't recognize the maker. Here's a resource I use for sets:
http://members.mybizz.net/~con12a/

I suspect it may well be in there.

I'm afraid setting a saw is a bit of trial and error. At least if one desires minimal set. On that model, the anvil rises and lowers via the bottom screw on the front. Lower it down all the way, position it and squeeze firm, but not hard. Look at the amount of set. If need be, use a dial caliper to see how many thousandths it pushed the tooth.

Adjust the anvil as necessary. Make sure to squeeze roughly the same pressure on all the teeth. Test cut and stone the side it pulls to--if it pulls at all.

If you find the info from the reference, I can help a little more...Gotta go back to the salt mine...Mike

Bob Hallowell
07-25-2006, 11:19 PM
I Took the tape off and it appears by the link you gave me to be a stanley 42, not the 42x but the plain 42.

Bob

Danny Buie
07-31-2006, 8:21 PM
Bob,
Check the link below for the original diections for a Stanley 42X which is very similar to the 42. It does not have a Secret Decoder Ring for the markings but it does tell you how to determine the correct set. They recommend about 1/100 ". The is some good info on saw care in general and for files.

http://www.vintagesaws.com/cgi-bin/frameset.cgi?left=sawcare&right=/sets/sets.html

Hope this helps
Danny Buie
Baton Rouge

Alan DuBoff
08-01-2006, 12:10 AM
Bob,
Check the link below for the original diections for a Stanley 42X which is very similar to the 42.Ouch...$140 for a 42X, so much for inexpensive old tools...:rolleyes:

Pete's site does have a lot of good info.

Bob Hallowell
08-01-2006, 8:12 AM
It doesn't look like I did to bad then. I picked it up for $2 I had some worked ro clean it though. Whats the difference between the 42 and the 42x?
Thanks for the link and the help guys!

Bob

Don Orr
08-01-2006, 9:36 AM
Bob, the 42x has 2 "plungers" that move against the saw as you do the setting. One, the larger, seats against the blade to hold it secure while the second, smaller part pushes only on the tooth you are setting. VintageSaws says the 42x is the best saw set ever made. I also thought their prices were high since you can often find them on the auction sites for MUCH less. For example I just saw a mint 42x in the original box go for $36 and change. I was not home to bid and missed it:( . Decent users can go for $25 or less.

Good luck!

(Pardon the signature Line- I usually hang out on the spinny side of town!)

Alan DuBoff
08-01-2006, 2:13 PM
Whats the difference between the 42 and the 42x?I saw one response, but after reading it wasn't exactly clear, so maybe I can muddy the water even more! :D

The 42X has a plunger and an anvil, the anvil is adjustable up and down so the angled face can move to adjust for the size tooth one is setting. This simple adjustment makes it possible for a single set to be used on a wide variety of teeth. Previous, there were models for small teeth and models for large teeth, but the 42X can handle most teeth, although some folks tend to file the plunger for very small teeth.

For a vintage saw set, the 42X is the best choice.

The adjustment on the 42 doesn't allow the anvil to be adjusted vertically as the 42X.

Some info here on a WoodCentral thread (http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/handtools.pl?noframes;read=92448)

I personally would reccomend a Somax saw set, you can get them new and they're pretty good, although requires one for larger teeth and one for smaller teeth. Joel sells the pair for just over $20 at Tools for Working Wood, or about $12-$13 each. Get the one for the size teeth you're looking to set. The blue model is for finer teeth and the gold is for larger teeth.