PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding power tool batteries

Harold Piper
07-25-2006, 10:02 PM
What are some good sources for supplies (cells, tabs) for rebuilding batteries for power tool?

Bruce Wrenn
07-25-2006, 10:56 PM
Have Jason over at Battery Rebuilders do them. Very cost effective.

Dave Falkenstein
07-25-2006, 11:18 PM
Have Jason over at Battery Rebuilders do them. Very cost effective.

Here's the web site:

http://www.batteryrebuilders.com/

Randy Meijer
07-25-2006, 11:42 PM
Check out the yellow pages. Most larger cities have one or more businesses that will rebuild your battery packs. I just had the pack done on my girlfriend's electric-start lawnmower.....took 6-2V sealed lead/acid D-cells. Saved about 20 bucks over buying a new pack from Sears.

Place was called "Batteries Plus."

Dave Fifield
07-26-2006, 5:24 AM
I had my old B&D Firestorm cordless drill 13.2V batteries rebuilt by Jason and co. at www.batteryrebuilders.com (http://www.batteryrebuilders.com) just recently. I couldn't be happier with the result. They were fast, courteous, and inexpensive. My drill is like new again. I'd recommend them any day.

Dave F.

Dick Strauss
07-28-2006, 6:57 PM
Harold,
Keep in mind that BatteryRebuilders may be more expensive than buying new (they were in my case). On the other hand, they might rebuild the battery pack with better batteries (unknown for my case).

I haven't decided which route to go but just making a general comment.

Dick

Jason Roehl
07-28-2006, 8:01 PM
Another thing to consider is that rebuilding them yourself will likely shorten their life. I'm guessing you would be soldering the tabs on the batteries? Heat is deadly to batteries. A good battery rebuilder has the tools to do it cold--with a spot welder, which will let the batteries enjoy a much more fruitful life on this earth. I just got my two P-C 14.4V batteries done at the local Batteries Plus for about $40 each. The guy told me that was cheaper than he could sell me just the cells for. Plus, I didn't have to waste my time monkeying with them.

Jason Abel
07-28-2006, 9:01 PM
Harold has already contacted/dealt with me in the past but I assume he is looking to get them a little cheaper. I sincerely appreciate all the referrals you guys have been giving me. As I stated in other posts there are many variables to consider when selecting a battery other than the cost and type. Harold, I'll email you with more detail.

Jason