PDA

View Full Version : bedroom set completed

Cary Falk
07-25-2006, 9:40 PM
I don't post here much. I enjoy reading and looking at other member's projects. I add my input when I think it would be helpful. I started this project 5 months ago. We were trying to match a wood slat sleigh bed we purchased unfinished and finished 8 years ago. We have been getting by with a hodge podge of mismatched furnature since then. This upgrades the drawer space also. :D I work out of a 3 car garage which the cars have to go in at night. :mad: This is not fine furnature building by any means. The design is not that creative like some of the projects other members come up with. It was something that my wife saw on an online furnature store and liked. If the wife ain't happy, aint nobody happy.:) The stain is Minwax gloden oak. I finished it with 5 coats of high gloss wipe-on poly followed by 2 coats of semi-gloss wipe-on poly. The only drawback with making your own solid furnature is that it weighs a ton. I had to get a neighbor to help me move it upstairs. Somewhere between 400-600 hrs in it. Now onto detaioing some dusty and neglected cars. Thanks for looking. (first time posting pictures so I hope they upload)

Ben Roman
07-25-2006, 9:43 PM
Good Job and Welcome to the Creek!

Ben

Ben Grunow
07-25-2006, 9:46 PM
Nicely done! Looks like a great set to be enjoyed for a lifetime. You will remember building those every day of your life. Looks well though out with the shelf for the VCR and drawers below for tapes etc.. Looks like fine furniture to me.

Bruce Page
07-25-2006, 11:12 PM
Wow Cary, that’s a room full of furniture! It looks like first class work to me. Beautifully done!

Corey Hallagan
07-25-2006, 11:35 PM
Welcome to SMC! THat is some very fine work and a great set of funiture! Congrats!

Corey

john whittaker
07-25-2006, 11:51 PM
Cary, that looks just fine and I can tell there is a whole bunch of work in all that "fine furniture". I bet the wife is happy now. Thanks for sharing your work with us.

And your pictures posted nicely.

Vaughn McMillan
07-26-2006, 5:11 AM
Cary, I disagree. It's obviously furniture, and it looks pretty darned fine to me. ;) Thanks for posting the pics, and don't be a hesitant to chime in around here whenever you want. :)

- Vaughn

Bob Childress
07-26-2006, 6:31 AM
Great looking suite, Cary. We are in the same situation at my house and now I'm inspired to "get with it.":) Would appreciate more construction details sometime. Joinery, drawer construction, etc.

Some fine workmanship there.:D

Roy Wall
07-26-2006, 9:50 AM
Cary-

Lets see:

5 matching furniture pieces (nothing small either)
34 drawers
2 pullouts
Mirror

I think they are excellent and you have mucho skill!

PS - I would now use this as leverage to talk about the "new shop" - so those cars can have their own space:cool:

Great job and good to have you on SMC!

Cary Falk
07-26-2006, 10:00 AM
Bob,
The face frames are constructed using pocket hole screws. The drawers are dovetailed with false fronts(I guess that is what it is called when the fronts are attached separately). For drawer slides I used Blum side mount low profile metal slides. We like how smooth they slide. I have a website with progress pictures through the process if you are interested. It is crude but gets the job done.

Kyle Stiefel
07-26-2006, 10:55 AM
Cary,

Great work and the wife is happy, you are doing well. I am familiar with your neck of the woods growing up in Vancouver, the aroma of the paper mill, wish I could go down for the Washougal MX.

Don Baer
07-26-2006, 11:32 AM
Cary,
Well done.

Carl Eyman
07-26-2006, 11:58 AM
Everyone should be happy for a long time to come with that accomplishment. Good work.

Steve Clardy
07-28-2006, 5:52 PM
Very nice!