View Full Version : Info on this Antique (Infill?) Plane Needed

Kevin Blunt
07-25-2006, 9:25 PM
Can anybody give me any information on this plane? I think it's called an infill plane. Lately, I've noticed on eBay while searching for other planes, that there has been a few of this style, and they're selling for in the range of $1000. There's currently one on eBay selling for around $1300. My father picked this one up at an auction sale a few years back for $12 and it has sat on his peg board for a few years until we realized what a gem it may be. Long story short, the blade reads 'J. Tyzack and Sons', 'Warranted' and 'Cast Steel'. Upon closer examination, I noticed that the chip breaker seems to say 'Robert Sorby, Sheffield' (it doesn't actually read 'Robert', it actually reads 'Robt' and the 't' is smaller than the other letters and has an underscore mark under it. I am assuming this is Robert. Essentially, the chip breaker reads 'Rob+ Sorby, Sheffield'.

I realize this may be of interest to some of you folks, and I really don't know much about it, but would appreciate absolutely any information whatsoever.

Here are six photos of the plane:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y73/mizzerbrown/100_1839.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y73/mizzerbrown/100_1840.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y73/mizzerbrown/100_1841.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y73/mizzerbrown/100_1842.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y73/mizzerbrown/100_1843.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y73/mizzerbrown/100_1844.jpg

Deirdre Saoirse Moen
07-25-2006, 9:39 PM
Not an expert on them, but it is indeedy an infill plane (characteristic that defines that is that the wood of the body fills the space between the metal sides).

How much it's worth depends on the value of the maker, which is more likely to be the person on the chipbreaker rather than the one on the blade (it's not uncommon to see someone else's blade in an infill, though I'm not sure if they shipped that way or wound up that way). In this case, I'm really not sure, because Robt. Sorby made blades for other infill makers.

This page seems to have more about Tyzack planes. (http://www.handplane.com/archives/64)

Kevin Blunt
07-25-2006, 9:47 PM
Hi there Deirdre,

Thanks for your reply. Are you stalking me or something!:) Anyway, Thanks for all your work today. Check out your private email. there is something there from me in the next few minutes.

Kevin

Chris Barton
07-25-2006, 9:50 PM
Kevin,

While I am no plane expert I predict many will confirm that your infill plane (correctly identified by Deirdre) is quite a find. Modern infills commonly go for greater than $2K and aged specimens such as this... who knows? Robert Sorby is well known to turners of today as they make what is considered to be some of the best woodturning tools around. I suspect, as Kevin stated, that Sorby supplied the steel blade for the company. For many years Sheffield, England was known as the source for high quality carbon steel. It's a beauty. And... dare I say it, a fun tool post. I hope you use and enjoy this tool!

Deirdre Saoirse Moen
07-25-2006, 10:02 PM
Nah, Kevin, just taking an extended break from the heat. It's still 90 in the house. :( Plus, I like gawking at infills.

Kevin Blunt
07-25-2006, 10:16 PM
Chris, thanks for your info. I must say that I am too scared to use it. But just to clarify one thing. The Sorby marking is on the chipbreaker, not the iron. Unless I am missing something here, According to Deirdre it is possible that the plane was made by Sorby and the iron supplied by Tyzack. Could this be true?

Kevin

Chris Barton
07-25-2006, 10:23 PM
Quite honestly I don't know. Sorby is known for their high quality cutting steel. Perhaps one of the more knowledable members can address that question.

Roger Bell
07-25-2006, 10:49 PM
From all the infills I have seen, this appears to me to be an infill that is not factory made, but craftsman made. It is hard to explain why I think this, but it is just the overall appearance in terms of the coherency of design............but if I must be specific, the front screwed-down bun and the screws in the sides exhibit a simpler form of construction than typically found on factory patterns. Naturally, I could be wrong........happens all the time. Craftsman-made infills are out there a-plenty and, depending upon the skill of the craftsman, may well equal those of the factory makers in terms of what is really important to the users like us. Check the sites of a few English tool dealers and you will see craftsman made infills there. You might even forward your photos to one or two of these dealers and solicit their opinions. Google these dealers (Tony Murland, Andy Stephens, Hans Brunner, Peter Trinder)...among others...no affiliation except acquaintance. These men have considerable expertise.

It is also the case that most of these craftsman-made planes usually have factory made irons and chipbreakers salvaged from other planes, since these parts were widely available. Generally, these go for substantially less than the more sought after and "collectible" patterns by the likes of Spiers of Ayr, Norris, Matthieson, Preston....but not always. Again, it depends on the quality of the construction and aesthetic factors. I have a couple of these panel-sized craftsman planes that I got in $200-300 price range that may be worth a bit more now but probably not substantially more.

Deirdre Saoirse Moen
07-25-2006, 11:17 PM
I don't know enough about the various infill makers' styles to know who the maker is. It IS possible that neither the blade nor the chipbreaker is original to the plane since both of those are removeable parts. It is more common generally to see a replaced blade than a replaced chipbreaker.

Alice Frampton
07-26-2006, 3:32 AM
From all the infills I have seen, this appears to me to be an infill that is not factory made, but craftsman made.

I agree - with the caveat that I know just enough about infills to be dangerous! For a start the rear handle, that is the handle bit not the rear stuffing, seems to be made of three pieces? Can't see a known maker doing that. And just the overall look, the noticeable screwheads and so forth, just says craftsman made to me. The iron and cap iron doesn't mean anything at all, I'm afraid. Could well be a good user, but probably not particularly valuable.

Oh, and a word of caution about Tyzacks; Deirdre's link is to S Tyzack info - J Tyzack is a different fellow. Probably Joseph (turn of the century to beginning of WW1 approximately), but my info on any J Tyzacks is pitifully small. The Tyzack family involvement in British toolmaking is huge, rambling and confusing so you need to keep you wits about you!

Cheers, Alf

Deirdre Saoirse Moen
07-26-2006, 4:17 AM
Thanks for the correction, Alf. I should have looked more closely -- I do know that these businesses run in families. I also noticed the three-piece back, but never having seen an infill on the hoof, wasn't sure what to make of it.

Jake Helmboldt
07-28-2006, 6:56 PM
and no, I'm not imitating Schultz. But regardless of its origins I'd say it is worth significantly more than the $12 score price. Question is, is it A LOT more valuable?

Either way, you have a nice plane for a stupidly cheap price. And if it isn't worth a mint, hopefully it will make a really sweet user. I'd like to get one just for the novelty and supposedly nice action of an infill (I've never actually used one).

JH

C.R. Miller
07-29-2006, 2:50 PM
Its a very nice plane Kevin but, as someone has already mentioned, it is a "user made" or "craftsman made" infill. Some indicators as to how to tell are the aforementioned 3-piece rear tote, the casting, the screwed high front bun (knob), the "set" of the screw on the lever cap, the wood used (which, from here, appears to be mahogany or walnut), the shape of the infill and the screwed sides. While many known makers also used castings and screwed sides this one definitely looks user made. Its also hard to tell from here but the bed angle looks a little sharp. Most infills were bedded at 47.5 degrees.

If you were looking at what sort of value it would bring I would say anywhere from between $160 to $450 USD. I wouldn't worry about not using it Kevin as its most likely a very good plane. Just don't drop it and break the casting.

Wiktor Kuc
07-31-2006, 11:54 AM
Kevin,

Not much info on the plane, but somemore info on J. Tyzak. It is true that "The Tyzack family involvement in British toolmaking is huge, rambling and confusing so you need to keep you wits about you!" . The history of this family is very long and tracking all members that made tools of various kind is not a simple matter.

I have done a bit of research on J. Tyzack. The blade you have was made by Joseph Tyzak. The logo on the blade is his “Legs of Man” trademark and was registered in 1847.

I have all my reseach material posted on my website. Here is the link:
http://www.wkfinetools.com/hUK/jTyzack/index.asp

Wiktor