View Full Version : Magnolia Bowl

Glenn Hodges
09-26-2003, 9:06 AM
Fellow Sawmiller Ken Wright was kind enough to put me onto some big
magnolia wood which came from a plantation in Thomasville, GA, and he
also helped me cut and load it--what a buddy. The first bowl I turned
from the logs is pictured here. It is 18 inches wide and 7and 1/4 inches
high. The wood is very wormy, hope people are not turned off by all the
worm holes. I have filled all the worm holes with glue before finishing the bowl with tung oil and buffing it with the Beal System. What do you all think about the wormy effect on the bowl? A special thanks to Ken, and thanks for looking.

Ken Salisbury
09-26-2003, 9:56 AM
LOOKS GREAT !! !! !!

mike malone
09-26-2003, 10:51 AM
[QUOTE=Glenn Hodges]Fellow Sawmiller Ken Wright was kind enough to put me onto some big
magnolia wood which came from a plantation in Thomasville, GA, and he
also helped me cut and load it--what a buddy. The first bowl I turned
from the logs is pictured here. ....

Glenn...awesome!! LOML has been asking for such a large bowl for some time now. Apparently great for making bread (the kind you eat). You did a grand job on a major piece of wood. Great design/shape to to it!!
regards
mike

Jim Becker
09-26-2003, 12:04 PM
Very nice! (And big...and attractive...and...)

Don't worry about those worm holes. In actuality, features like that are often prized by both turners and their customers. Particularly wormy material creates some pretty outstanding effects; I've seen some that were almost like honeycombs all over. Obviously, those are not meant to be so much functional art as they are more decorative in nature.

Ted Shrader
09-26-2003, 12:36 PM
Glenn -

Looks great! Looking forward to more examples. The worm holes in this case enhance, not detract from the wood's beauty..

Ted

Tom Sweeney
09-26-2003, 1:09 PM
Glenn,
I like it a lot. I actually prefer wood with a lot of character. Worm holes, spalting, interesting coloration or figure, etc. Certain woods look better without these types of "defects" but this one is a winner.

Kevin Gerstenecker
09-26-2003, 1:18 PM
Very nice Bowl Glenn! I am with Tom, I too like the "different" wood for turning. Is is a nice surprise to see what "jumps out" of it after it is turned. (I can't believe I am siding with Tom, but stranger things have happened!) :D Very nice work, thanks for sharing the photo! :)

Glenn Hodges
09-26-2003, 3:23 PM
Thanks for all your kind comments. I feel better about all the time
I spent making the bowl. Sometimes magnolia is kind of bland,
I guess the wormy wood makes it something different. This
thing would hold a big chunk of dough if you were to use it to
make bread. Thanks again to all of you, and especially to Ken Wright.

Mike Mastin
09-26-2003, 4:02 PM
..... "if a turned bowl won't hold soup, it's art". :-)

Todd Burch
09-26-2003, 5:54 PM
That bowl is HUGE!!! TOOO COOL!! My wife would LOVE it if I made something like that for her. I have a lathe you know... I have two dust collectors: an Onieda Cyclone and a Delta 12x36 1948 model lathe! It's not for lack of turning tools (4 sets, maybe), it's just a time thing. I even have an old outrigger (is that the right term?) stand.

Anyone wanna come over and motivate me?

And, I've never seen tung oil on Magnolia. That is GORGEOUS!

Glenn - you did good! And Ken - you get 1 attaboy!

Todd.