PDA

View Full Version : Info needed on Shop Fox W1674 shaper

Ed Bamba
07-25-2006, 8:19 PM
I acquired a Grizzly G1035 shaper recently and need a fence assembly for it. I was wondering if anyone here has the Shop Fox shaper and can provide some measurements with regards to the fence mounting holes on the table. The Shop Fox fence looks like it is a better design than the Grizz. The two seem to be the same except for the motor and table size. I realize that I can probably drill new mounting holes on the Grzz , but I'd like to know prior to ordering if it may be a direct bolt-on.

If you're wondering, the Grizz fence assembly is around $75 from Grizz, and the Shop Fox fence MSRP is $187.50. Local SF dealer can order the fence and sell it to me at the SF price, plus tax. Not sure if shipping charges will be added though. Grizzly quoted me $255 for the SF fence assembly http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yelloweek.gif

Hope someone here can provide the needed info. Thanks in advance.

Take care,
Ed

Richard Wolf
07-25-2006, 9:22 PM
I have the Shop Fox shaper, I will get you the measurements tomorrow.

Richard

Ed Bamba
07-25-2006, 9:42 PM

Richard

Thanks Richard. BTW, how do you like the stock fence? Do you think it's worth the asking price? Looking forward to your input.
Take care,
Ed

Chris Barton
07-25-2006, 10:18 PM
SHop Fox is made by Griz... That's their retail end machine.

Ed Bamba
07-28-2006, 7:28 PM

Richard

Just bumping this up for you since we were down for so long.

Thanks and take care,
Ed

Richard Wolf
07-28-2006, 8:01 PM
Okay Ed, first I have the 3hp Shop Fox, so I assume it's the same fence system you are looking at. I wish I could CAD this, but I can't, so try to follow.
There are 3 bolts that holds the fence to the table. The left side has 2 bolts which are 1 1/4" from the back edge and 3" from the back edge of the table. Moving to the right 5 5/8" is a single bolt that is 2 3/16" for the back edge of the table.

The Shop Fox fence in the Grizzly catolog doesn't show that the fence faces now come with polyethylene faces.
My concerns with the fence are;
1)You must make sure the two fence halves are on the same plane when locking, it's not a given.
2)Dust collection sucks.
3)The lock handles on all fence locks are plastic.

I use a 1hp feeder on the horizontal to run railing and it puts alot of force on the fence which must be locked hard.

The up side is I have used shaper and fence alot and it has served me well. I wish I had a larger one, but don't we all.

If I can help with anything else, let me know.

Richard

Steve Clardy
07-28-2006, 8:31 PM
I have a friend with a 3hp griz shaper, and the chip collection was bad, the fence halves would not align without some serious shimming.

I purchased a new powermatic shaper, with an excellent fence, good chip collection.

He inquired at the tool dealer where I purchased my powermatic for the cost of the fence assembly.
He ended up with a general fence assembly, which is almost identical to my powermatic.
I think he paid close to 200.00 for it, but its excellent.
He had to redrill the bolt holes to fit it on.

Ed Bamba
07-28-2006, 10:04 PM
Richard, I appreciate your quick response and for taking the time to measure your table. The fence mounting locations of your machine is quite a bit differnet than the mounting holes on my machine. This has to be expected since your table is larger than than my Grizz. I shot an email off to Woodstock Int. requesting mounting hole measurements for their 2hp model.

You mentioned that DC doesn't work well. Could it be that the duct size isn't correctly matched to the size or hp of the machine? I'll have to assume that the 2hp model has the same 3" intergrated dust port since the Grizz model has a detachable DC port that is also 3".

Steve, thanks for your reply. Drilling the table on my machine is an option should I decide to go with a fence from another brand. I do have tap and die set just in case I decide to go that route.

Anyone have ideas on a shop-made fence? That would certainly be a viable option too if one can be made better than a ready-made variety.

Take care,
Ed

Chris Livingston
09-14-2006, 8:55 PM
I have the Shop Fox 3HP shaper and I hate the fence. I'm constantly fighting with it to get the faces parallel and they are a pain to adjust. If you've come up with something shop-made in the last couple months or an aftermarket one let me know.

Thanks,

Chris Livingston