PDA

View Full Version : New Use for A Dust Collector

John Stankus
07-25-2006, 6:01 PM
Just in the process of moving to a new house. My wife noticed the dryer was taking a long time. So I went to clean out the piping (usually a 10-15 minute job at the old house). and could get the dryer vent brush through the turns in the piping. The dryer brush was too flexible and the snake I had too stiff. I finally (after several hours) realized my dust collector had the same size piping as the dryer vent piping. Hooked up the dust collector and used it to pull a thin piece of rope through the pipe, and used the rope to pull the dryer vent brush through. Worked pretty well, and the dust collector pulled a bunch of lint out.

John

glenn bradley
07-25-2006, 6:06 PM
Redd Green would be proud and so am I. Very clever.

Jesse Cloud
07-25-2006, 6:10 PM
Maybe wifey would go for a dust collector upgrade if I explained what it was really for..... what would it take, about 5 HP to get that lint?:p

Brad Townsend
07-25-2006, 6:25 PM
Redd Green would be proud and so am I. Very clever. I didn't read any mention of duct tape in that post...:D

John Stankus
07-25-2006, 6:34 PM
Actually I was in dire need of Duct tape to reseal the dryer vent ducts I separated. It's in a box....somewhere...

John

Matt Meiser
07-25-2006, 6:47 PM
Hope you have a 5HP cyclone with .1 micron dust filters. I hear dryer lint is deadly. :rolleyes: :D

Good thinking. I've heard of using a shop vac to pull a string thought conduit but would have ripped all the ductwork apart before I thought of this.

E W Wilkinson
07-25-2006, 9:33 PM
I just use my leaf blower on the highest speed and blow the lint out through the exhaust tube.:)

Chris Barton
07-25-2006, 10:19 PM
EW beat me to the punch! Dooh!

Mike Wilkins
07-26-2006, 9:24 AM
Be careful. Dryer vent pipe (the metal kind) is a thin-wall tubing. It may collapse under the pressure of a dust collector vacuum.
Never mind if it is a flexy plastic material.

Allen Bookout
07-26-2006, 9:52 AM
Good use for a dust collector but my question is: Why do you need to use a brush after removing the lint with the dust collector?

Tyler Howell
07-26-2006, 11:02 AM
Used mine to clean my HVAC ducts before a new furnace install.
Used compressed air and a flex chimney brush to. Worked pretty good.;)