PDA

View Full Version : Help picking out spray equip

john whittaker
07-25-2006, 4:18 PM
I've got several project stacked up waiting for me to pull the trigger on purchasing my first spray gun.

My guitar is as far as it will go...next step is finishing. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=39748

I have several end tables built that require a finish and a dinette I'm re-finishing that will require some metal painting as well as wood finishing.

I've got an IR 2 HP twin stack compressor rated at 5.4 CFM @ 40psi.
Have narrowed my pick down to either the Wagner HVLP conversion gun, a DeVilbiss Finishline III kit which comes with either a "woodworking tip or an assortment of nozzle sizes depending on which kit you buy.

I know my compressor should be a little larger but both of these manufacturers say their gun will work within my capacity spraying thinner woodworking finishes.

Is there a measurable difference in these two guns (quality and/or performance) or is this a win/win situation where I would squeal with delight regardless of my choice? (no audio files allowed)

Please help me pull this trigger. My finger is getting tired.

tod evans
07-25-2006, 4:24 PM
john, devilbiss has been in the paint gun business for quite a while, when somebody says wagner to me i have this mental picture of the wal-mart "paint-pro" or whatever it was called in the 70`s, you know the plastic contraption that would spray water fine but would only spit paint? some folks here like their wagner stuff but i can`t get past that initial impression thing.......02 tod

Howard Acheson
07-25-2006, 5:18 PM
You might want to go to Jeff Jewitt's site at:

www.homesteadfinishing.com

He has a specific forum topic on spray equipment and you will get some excellent info and advice there.

tod evans
07-25-2006, 5:45 PM
john, here`s another good place to read;
http://www.spraygunworld.com/

.02 tod

Matt Meiser
07-25-2006, 6:30 PM
I bought the Wagner gun based on Jim Becker's review and have been very happy with it. I was able to get it spraying very nicely right out of the box. I also have the Porter Cable HVLP gun which I got first. I had trouble learning to adjust it mostly because I'd never used an HVLP gun before. I've used the PC for my lathe and trailer restorations lately and have started to really like it as well. Based on that, I just bought an import HVLP touch up gun that looks like the PC that I plan to use for small projects and spraying stain. Another inexpensive gun I've read good things about is the Harbor Freight HVLP (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=43430) gun which can be had cheap on sale, especially if you can find a 20% off coupon. I could only find one for 10% here (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/emails/30/Retaila/30_Retaila.html).

I do have a larger compressor than yours which might make a difference in performance, but Steve Clardy has posted before that he uses the PC guns with a portable compressor on a regular basis with good results.

john whittaker
07-25-2006, 11:44 PM
Thanks Tod Howard & Matt... I never have bought or used spray equip of this type so I've already read all I could find regarding this subject including all your suggestions here. This site and your advice have been a very big help. At least I now know a little of what to look for and what to expect. I guess what I'm asking is if there is a quality difference in product or performance between the two.

As Tod pointed out...the Wagner congers up images of what I used years ago to paint fences and stain decks. I don't have a good quality image for the Wagner name but others here have had good results with their conversion gun so it may be a totally different animal. Here's what I am looking at.

Wagner is a siphon feed system while the Finishline III is gravity feed.
Both are about the same price.
Both can be used with my compressor. (bigger is better for higher viscosity)
Both (I think) have other tip sizes available.

Does anyone know if there is a quality difference or performance difference between the two guns?
Is there a difference or advantage using siphon or gravity feed guns?

I'm probably splitting hairs and either gun would work just fine....I'll just have to jump in, start spraying and learn from my mista...errr experience.

John Hemenway
07-25-2006, 11:51 PM
I too have the Wagner. It's not at all like the low end airless Wagner! I really like it. Have only sprayed Target USL. I'm using a PC pancake compressor so I'm sure you have enough compressor.

tod evans
07-26-2006, 7:34 AM
john, i`m not qualified to speak about the two guns you mention as i own neither. but i`ll comment on the gravity-vs-siphon, i use my gravity guns far more than my pressure pot and have gotten totally away from siphon guns over 12yrs ago. i find the gravity guns to be more balanced and easier for me to control, less finicky about viscosity and easier to clean. the only times i use my pot gun are when i need to spray upside down or hose on lots of material. neither a siphon or gravity gun does well upside down and most have 1qt containers......02 tod

john whittaker
07-30-2006, 2:16 PM
Wanted to thank you folks for your input. Ended up buying a Devilbiss SRI mini gun instead of the two I was considering. (Wagner conversion and FinishlineIII.

Nothing against the two I didn't buy because either would have done the job I needed but the SRI mini had a few features that were important to me.

The SRI had better quality stainless steel on all internal wetted parts. I was not able to determine the exact specs for wetted parts for the other two guns because they were not published.
The SRI was a mini which fall well within the CFM capacity of my small compressor.
The SRI mini has a spray adjustment from a very small fan to 8" or 9". This is big enough for my hobby needs.
The SRI is made in the USAI have several projects awaiting finishing so I'll post my opinion on how well the SRI mini works for me in a few weeks.

Mark Rios
07-30-2006, 2:41 PM
Terrific John, Congrats on the new sprayer. Can I ask where you got it and what it cost?

Wanted to thank you folks for your input. Ended up buying a Devilbiss SRI mini gun instead of the two I was considering. (Wagner conversion and FinishlineIII.

Nothing against the two I didn't buy because either would have done the job I needed but the SRI mini had a few features that were important to me.

The SRI had better quality stainless steel on all internal wetted parts. I was not able to determine the exact specs for wetted parts for the other two guns because they were not published.
The SRI was a mini which fall well within the CFM capacity of my small compressor.
The SRI mini has a spray adjustment from a very small fan to 8" or 9". This is big enough for my hobby needs.
The SRI is made in the USAI have several projects awaiting finishing so I'll post my opinion on how well the SRI mini works for me in a few weeks.

john whittaker
07-30-2006, 7:28 PM
Mark, see post #4 above for the link to where I bought it.

I paid about $250.00 which included a few extras (another tip & needle size, a larger cup, and some small in-line air filters.

Not a cheap gun... but built with quality materials appropriate for very long life. I'll know more when I've used it for 30-years....I'll post a 30 year review.:D

tod evans
07-31-2006, 7:58 AM
nice score john! that gun should serve you well for a long time....02 tod

Ben Grunow
07-31-2006, 9:18 PM
Too bad you won't be able to "hose on" a lot of paint as Tod describes. LOL, for some reason that struck me as very funny. Indescriminate, undirected, mass application of paint, how un SMC.... Good stuff Tod.

Robert Mickley
08-01-2006, 11:56 AM
Well I just quite literaly walked in the door with a new DeVilbiss finish line 3. I'll let you know my opinion later today or tomorrow depending on how far I get this afternoon.

I've had a couple of the HF guns and discovered you have to thin lacquers too much to get them to spary. Which results in it getting dry to fast and on something big thats bad.
The other problem I had was having them start leaking after they have been cleaned 5 or 6 times.

I paid a little more than if I had bought on line $137 with tax but I hate waiting and besides if I have trouble the paint shop is only 15 minutes away

Ok I had to try it, sprayed HC Cambel high build lacquer right out of the can. Man is that nice. no guessing abuout thinning, just poor and go.