PDA

View Full Version : Plane contest winners & results

Lee Schierer
07-25-2006, 12:01 PM
The plane contest created a lot of interest at the picnic and seemed to work quite well. The hard maple proved to be a good challenge with some grain reversal that proved a bit tricky to get a continuous length shaving. The challenge was to produce the longest and thinnest shaving from the contest board. Points were awarded for each parameter and the lowest point total won. The board was hard maple, 72" wide and 1-1/4 thick. We planed off almost 3/4" of width during the course of the contest, 1 to 2 thousandths of an inch at a time. Shavings were all measured with the same set of micrometers to the nearest .0001"

We did find that shavings would "shrink" from the full length when they started getting thinner. Shavings that were really thick were almost the same length as the contestpiece. We tried to flatten and stretch shavings as best we could to give credit for length. If the judges broke a shaving they would measure the pieces and come up with a total length. Many shavings were not full width of the plane iron that made them. We treated those the same as full width shavings. Everyone was working off the same piece of wood and were given ample time to make a shaving. Alan Turner actually made the thinnest submitted shaving (average of .00061) of the day but could not get it to go full length. Several others also made really thin shavings as well, but the contest was for combined thinness and length so contestants had to compromise in their setup to get the best of both factors.

There were 17 contestants in all and unbelievably we ended up with a tie for first so we had to have a plane off. We did alter the rules slightly as the two tied contestants had allowed other people to use their planes and the "winning" settings had been altered. We had Ellis flatten the board and then we allowed each of the tied contestants some time to produce a shaving they wanted to enter as the tie breaker.

Prize winners were:
1st Rob Tarr - Lie Nielsen #4 Bronze donated by Woodcraft
2nd Warren Mickley - Router Plane donated by Lee Valley & Veritas
3rd Moses Yoder - Iron Low Angle Block Plane 102I donated by Lie-Nielsen Toolworks, Inc.
4th Mike Hambelton - Coffin Smoothing Plane donated by Knight Toolworks
5th place Joanne Adler - Marking knife & awl set donated by Dave Anderson, Chester Toolworks.

The complete results are tabulated in the photo below:

Thanks to all the donors for the prizes and to all the participants for making the contest a challenge and a lot of fun. I can't speak for everyone, but I know that I learned a lot about adjusting and using a handplane from the other participants. There was a lot of teaching going on as well.

Be sure to thank the prize donors as you do business with them. Hopefully we can have other contests in the future. How about a hand saw contest to saw off a length of 2 X 6 the fastest?

Doug Shepard
07-25-2006, 12:47 PM
It would have interesting to note what make/model the drivers were using, but it's some impressive numbers. I'm sure the operators deserve some of the credit too.:)

Alan Turner
07-25-2006, 12:57 PM
Lee,
Thanks again for the contest creation and supervision. I can say that it was only through careful beer avoidance that I was the thinnest. Genetics accounts largely for the shortness. (:

BTW, my weapon was a LN 4C, standard pitch frog.

Lee Schierer
07-25-2006, 1:03 PM
It would have interesting to note what make/model the drivers were using, but it's some impressive numbers. I'm sure the operators deserve some of the credit too.:)

I used a Stanley #3 that is about 50 years old. I saw some of the experts get much better shavings from my plane than I could so operator skill/experience definitely has something to do with it, though novices could also get better results from the high end machines. In the end the sharpening, adjusting and operator skill had to combine to win.

Andy Hoyt
07-25-2006, 1:41 PM
Congrats and well done to all competitors.

But..........

Lee - Tyler: A simple name change is an insufficient amount of obfuscation to elude the abyss.:D

Robert Mickley
07-25-2006, 1:59 PM
I can't even begin to visulize shaving that thin. AMAZING!!!!!

On A side note there was aMickley there? wonder if he is related

Bill Grumbine
07-25-2006, 2:55 PM
I can't even begin to visulize shaving that thin. AMAZING!!!!!

On A side note there was aMickley there? wonder if he is related

I asked him, and he knew of a local Robert Mickley, but wasn't sure about one all the way out in OH. I would suspect that if you went back far enough there would be some sort of relation. All the Grumbines are related back to Leonhart who came here in 1754, and of course we all go back to Noah. :D

Bill

Bill Grumbine
07-25-2006, 2:59 PM

I used a Lee Valley bevel up smoother for my shaving. What I found interesting was that I asked Robert Tarr for some pointers, and using his plane, set up for the way he produced a 0.008 shaving, the best I could still do was 0.0011. A couple of people suggested that I might need a lighter touch. I thought I was using a light touch. ;)

Bill

Steve Clardy
07-25-2006, 7:22 PM
Sounds fun!! Wish I could have attended, but it's too far to travel.

Jim Becker
07-26-2006, 1:10 AM
Mr. Tarr was gloating big-time on Sunday when I was IM-ing with him...as far as I'm concerned, he gets to buy the beverages on our next business trip together!! LOL And I'm really happy to see my other local woodworking neighbor Joanne scored well in the contest. (Maybe she should reconsider that nice 12" jointer she recently scored...given her hand-plane acuity) It's nice knowing I have several folks in the area to learn some Neander skills from. Congrats to all!

Bruce Shiverdecker
07-26-2006, 2:41 AM
Definitely sounds like a good time was had by all. Congratulations to all winners and participants. I don't even know which end to use on one of those things!

Bruce

Tyler Howell
07-26-2006, 11:19 AM
Thanks Lee,
Was a good time.