PDA

View Full Version : New Type of Sawmill coming???

Dennis Peacock
07-25-2006, 10:27 AM
Just read about this sawmill that appears to be primarily aimed at woodworkers who need/want a small sawmill. I've been talking to Peterson Sawmills (Aaron) over the last several weeks about the Peterson line of sawmills and now it appears that they have come out with a smaller sawmill. It's called "Skillmill" and can be seen here. (http://www.skillmill.com/index.htm) I'm not a salesman....just someone who's been researching sawmills for a few years so I can get a sawmill for my own use one day.

This one appears to use a standard 10" TS blade, 110V power, 1.5HP Electric motor and will also hold the Alaskan Chainsaw setup for slabbing type work. I'm trying to find out the price at this time. I know that they will be showing these off at some of the woodworking shows starting around October time frame. I don't know about you, but I thought this was pretty cool thing, especially since they carried the whole sawmill with a "mini-van"..!!!!

Again, I'm NOT affiliated with Peterson, just someone who's been researching sawmills.

Jim Dailey
07-25-2006, 11:05 AM
Hi Dennis,

Thanks for the link. Very interesting little mill. I looks very flexiable all though limited in capacity due to the small 10" blade. If it swings around completely for a double cut as easy as the larger Peterson mills, than it has a lot to offer. Plus the chain saw slabber is a real bonus.

I was interested in the Peterson mills myself but the deal breaker at the time was the plummeting value of the US dollar to the New Zealand dollar. Thus I looked for used equipment already in this county. I end up with a large Lucas mill setup with a Kohler engine thru the sawmill exchange (I believe it is www.sawmillexchange.com ) for about half of what the Peterson would have cost me. If you are patient, there are good buy available.

Thanks again, jim

Frank Fusco
07-25-2006, 12:13 PM
Neat, but the 10" blade is very limiting. Even in the demo video it doesn't look up to the task.

Ian Abraham
07-25-2006, 7:27 PM
I've had a good look at the mini-me swingmill here in NZ.

It does work very well, although it's limited in it's cut size and log size (I'm used to an 8" cut Peterson). The double cut (8") is no problem as the blade has 2 riving knives, meaning you can cut with either side (travelling in opposite directions of course) You can also cut one large board from each log by flipping the partly sawn log over and cutting from the other side, leaving a full width slab.
Dont expect it to do everything a full size Peterson or Lucas mill will do, but as a cheap portable sawmill for the hobby woodworker it's definately an option. A lot easier to use than a chainsaw mill or pushing logs thru a workshop bandsaw. :rolleyes:

Cheers

Ian

Steve Clardy
07-25-2006, 7:34 PM
Guess I'm spoiled after having a woodmizer for over ten years. [Since sold it]

Anything less I guess I don't consider a sawmill;) :)

Layla Robinson
07-25-2006, 8:03 PM
Hi there, :)

I am the Project Manager of the Skillmill, and am also a friend of Jake, the designer, I would like to address some concerns in regard to his new mill.

Basically, the purchase of a sawmill depends on your needs, there are, of course, different size motors, motor types and blade sizes. The 10" blade is not a drawback.

Accessible logs are getting smaller and smaller, i.e. in America, Europe and Australia. Why have a 24" blade to cut 8" stock out of a 12" log for example? The Skillmill will still cut 8" boards out of a log this size.

Why push around a huge blade and huge motor to get something that is achievable on this, a much smaller scale?

The double cutting principle is as easy as cutting 4x dimensions out of the log. There is no removal of guards, no turning the head around... just straight off the log.

Some advantages of the Skillmill over a larger machine are:
half the kerf of a larger machine, the smaller blade will not kick the log around, resaw with ease, and visual safety (blade no larger than a handsaw).

The electric benefits:
smooth cut, quiet, simple and efficient.

Other advantages:
angular adjustments give a whole new spectrum of possibilities.

For those who wish to use a mill for full-time commercial purposes cutting large logs, spending from $10,000+ is justifyable. However, for those who wish to cut wood part-time for their own use, or to compliment a business or hobby, that kind of money is a high price to pay.

Enter The Skillmill: available in the US from the beginning of October, at a cost of around $3900 (+ sales tax if applicable). I will be bringing some mills over to do a US Roadshow, covering at least 4 woodworking shows on the east cost, with plans of another couple on the west. (I'm excited!! :cool: ) The price is truely phenomenal for what you are getting. It is incomparable to anything on the market.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post, any questions, let me know. :D

Frank Fusco: I was wondering if you could let me know how the website video footage made the mill look like it wasn't up to the task? It could be something to do with the clip itself, so we will need to remedy it. The people who are actually operating the mill in most of those clips, are visitors to our exhibit site at the largest Ag. show in our country. They are people with no experience and who had never run a sawmill in their life, or even thought they could. It was great fun actually, to see ladies in their 80s having a go, with ease. I assure you, I can push it through a log easily, with manicured fingernails and all! hehe

Dennis Peacock: The Skillmill is a 230v, 3hp electric motor (Dennis, I am assuming you got this info from the website? We will clarify the specs accordingly, thank you for bringing this to my attention). The US is 60HZ.

Jim Andrew
07-29-2006, 11:20 PM
Dennis, I looked at swing mills, think Peterson is the best of those, as it is
the only one that will swing around and cut a slab from both sides of the log, but I wound up buying a slightly used Cook mill, built in Alabama. There are good small mills built in Arkansas, MR Sawmill for example, that
can be powered by electric motors, and at low cost. Swing mills cut a
little faster, but you are limited to the width of slab. What I read about
Cook mills is that they cut about the straightest of the bandsaw mills.
A neighbor of mine has a LT 30, and I just got tired of wavy boards, and
decided to get my own. Jim

Mark Rios
07-30-2006, 1:10 AM
I'd bet $55.68 that Stu could make one for half the price or less, while drinking sake at the same time.:D :D :D

I was going to tease more about the saw and what some have said so far and other stuff that I know nothing about but then I noticed that the rep was a woman, from New Zealand and probably totally hot so I'll just let this one go.

:D :D :D

Steve Clardy
07-30-2006, 11:52 AM
Dennis, I looked at swing mills, think Peterson is the best of those, as it is
the only one that will swing around and cut a slab from both sides of the log, but I wound up buying a slightly used Cook mill, built in Alabama. There are good small mills built in Arkansas, MR Sawmill for example, that
can be powered by electric motors, and at low cost. Swing mills cut a
little faster, but you are limited to the width of slab. What I read about
Cook mills is that they cut about the straightest of the bandsaw mills.
A neighbor of mine has a LT 30, and I just got tired of wavy boards, and
decided to get my own. Jim

Does your neighbor do it part time, full time?

How long has he had the mill? How old is it?

Sounds like he hasn't learned the mill yet if he's getting wavy boards.

Layla Robinson
07-30-2006, 4:08 PM
I'd bet $55.68 that Stu could make one for half the price or less, while drinking sake at the same time.:D :D :D

I was going to tease more about the saw and what some have said so far and other stuff that I know nothing about but then I noticed that the rep was a woman, from New Zealand and probably totally hot so I'll just let this one go.

:D :D :D

The Skillmill is certainly a baby compared to our commercial type mills, but from the feedback we have had from previous enquiries, it is what some people wanted. An extremely portable, affordable option. So we made it. :D ... and I can proudly say, that all our purchasers to date are very happy with their mills. :)

Hey Mark, we will be in San Mateo at a Woodworking show from 27-29 October as part of our US Roadshow. I see it's not far from where you are in Modesto, so you can come and see the mill for yourself. I'll even enter you in our Roadshow competition draw to win one. :cool:

Frank Fusco
07-30-2006, 4:57 PM
Hi there, :)

I am the Project Manager of the Skillmill, and am also a friend of Jake, the designer, I would like to address some concerns in regard to his new mill.

Basically, the purchase of a sawmill depends on your needs, there are, of course, different size motors, motor types and blade sizes. The 10" blade is not a drawback.

Accessible logs are getting smaller and smaller, i.e. in America, Europe and Australia. Why have a 24" blade to cut 8" stock out of a 12" log for example? The Skillmill will still cut 8" boards out of a log this size.

Why push around a huge blade and huge motor to get something that is achievable on this, a much smaller scale?

The double cutting principle is as easy as cutting 4x dimensions out of the log. There is no removal of guards, no turning the head around... just straight off the log.

Some advantages of the Skillmill over a larger machine are:
half the kerf of a larger machine, the smaller blade will not kick the log around, resaw with ease, and visual safety (blade no larger than a handsaw).

The electric benefits:
smooth cut, quiet, simple and efficient.

Other advantages:
angular adjustments give a whole new spectrum of possibilities.

For those who wish to use a mill for full-time commercial purposes cutting large logs, spending from $10,000+ is justifyable. However, for those who wish to cut wood part-time for their own use, or to compliment a business or hobby, that kind of money is a high price to pay.

Enter The Skillmill: available in the US from the beginning of October, at a cost of around $3900 (+ sales tax if applicable). I will be bringing some mills over to do a US Roadshow, covering at least 4 woodworking shows on the east cost, with plans of another couple on the west. (I'm excited!! :cool: ) The price is truely phenomenal for what you are getting. It is incomparable to anything on the market.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post, any questions, let me know. :D

Frank Fusco: I was wondering if you could let me know how the website video footage made the mill look like it wasn't up to the task? It could be something to do with the clip itself, so we will need to remedy it. The people who are actually operating the mill in most of those clips, are visitors to our exhibit site at the largest Ag. show in our country. They are people with no experience and who had never run a sawmill in their life, or even thought they could. It was great fun actually, to see ladies in their 80s having a go, with ease. I assure you, I can push it through a log easily, with manicured fingernails and all! hehe

Dennis Peacock: The Skillmill is a 230v, 3hp electric motor (Dennis, I am assuming you got this info from the website? We will clarify the specs accordingly, thank you for bringing this to my attention). The US is 60HZ.

It was able to only take off a tiny slab on initial cut, not enough to make a flat for many logs. Turning and cutting twice to make one cut seems self defeating and excess work. Personally, I would prefer to trailer my logs to a mill and pay for the job. Mills don't charge much and it would take a long time to exceed the expense of the mini-mill. Sorry, that IMHO.

Layla Robinson
07-30-2006, 5:26 PM
It was able to only take off a tiny slab on initial cut, not enough to make a flat for many logs. Turning and cutting twice to make one cut seems self defeating and excess work. Personally, I would prefer to trailer my logs to a mill and pay for the job. Mills don't charge much and it would take a long time to exceed the expense of the mini-mill. Sorry, that IMHO.

No apology necessary, sawmilling isn't for everyone. Most of our clients are very passionate sawmillers, and taking their logs to a commercial mill to be prepared, is something they would never do.
Thanks for your feedback though Frank. :) Much appreciated.

Mark Rios
07-30-2006, 5:53 PM
The Skillmill is certainly a baby compared to our commercial type mills, but from the feedback we have had from previous enquiries, it is what some people wanted. An extremely portable, affordable option. So we made it. :D ... and I can proudly say, that all our purchasers to date are very happy with their mills. :)

Hey Mark, we will be in San Mateo at a Woodworking show from 27-29 October as part of our US Roadshow. I see it's not far from where you are in Modesto, so you can come and see the mill for yourself. I'll even enter you in our Roadshow competition draw to win one. :cool:

MS. Robinson, Please accept my apologies for any misunderstanding you may have inferred in my post.

A member here, Stu Ablett from Tokyo (he's Canadian but it's a long story), has in the past given us a couple of wonderful tutorials on some quasi-inventions that he has made through ingenious adaptations and improvisation. For example he cleared a whole lot full of trees AND milled the wood using only his modified chanisaws and a minivan. Many,many trees. Big, big trees. And he has it all stickered and drying wAAAAAAy up on the roof of his 7 story home in downtown Tokyo. He even has a dungeon where he does his woodworking. He's a pretty handy guy in coming up with different and/or odd ways of getting something done. (And he sells liquor for his normal job....go figure?!) My comment was a tongue-in-cheek inside joke, if you will, directed to those that have read his tutorials and in NO WAY directed toward you or your equipment.

Regarding my second paragraph, I've been in construction for many, many years but I'm only a fair novice at finer woodworking so the best that I can provide to the forum is fourth grade humor, and it's not even very good at that.

You seem to be a very good sport and quite adept at fending off and refuting comments stemming from those leary of your new-fangled equipment; Well done.

I am, in fact, planning to go to the show in San Mateo in October and appreciate your offer and look forward to meeting you and seeing your product.

(Ahh man.........I'm so embarrassed. I'm such a bonehead.) :o :D :o :D :o :D

Ian Abraham
07-30-2006, 7:50 PM

Frank.. I'm guessing you are used to how an bandsaw mill operates, where the operator contually flips the log, first to square up a cant, then to remove boards from various faces.
The swingmills work very differently, the log is usually not moved at all and simply sawn from top to bottom removing dimensioned timber as you go. The initial slab may be taken off in several strips to open the top of the log. Then each layer of boards is sawn and removed, edging the log as you go untill only the bottom slab is left.
The 'double cutting' is simply sliding the sawhead across to the other side of the log and making another pass, giving an 8" wide board. No moving of the log or saw frame. Takes 5 secs to set up for the next pass.
The videos only show the mill making single passes, not the whole log sawing operation, but once you see one in use it becomes clear how simple the mill is to operate.

As far as taking your logs to a sawmill service.. fair call :)
But some of us just like sawing up logs ourselves. And this little mill is an easy / affordable / safe way to do it.

Cheers

Ian

Jim Andrew
07-30-2006, 8:05 PM
Steve, the guy has had the LT 30 for years. I think he just trys to get too much out of his blades, and winds up ruining them by overheating etc.
Then he has them resharpened and they are still no good. Jim

Layla Robinson
07-30-2006, 8:08 PM
Hey Mark,

No apology necessary, thank you, my misunderstanding.

Stu the Tokyo Canadian sounds like a very innovative guy, I'll keep an eye out for his stories now I am a member here.

Hey, fourth grade humor is great, it's a couple of steps above the 'toilet humor' I have when not representing Skillmill and Petersons. :D

Thank you for the compliment (re:comments made), I am very open to feedback, in fact, it is a necessary part of bringing a new product to the international market. I know it's a great mill, so I am never discouraged by those who don't.

It will be great to meet you at our show by the way. I am enjoying meeting people from around the world that I get to meet in person! :)

Robert Mickley
07-31-2006, 7:19 AM
Steve, the guy has had the LT 30 for years. I think he just trys to get too much out of his blades, and winds up ruining them by overheating etc.
Then he has them resharpened and they are still no good. Jim

Well that’s his fault not woodmizers. I saw with a 16 year old Breezewood that was well used before I got it and I very seldom get a wavy board. When I do its my fault not the mills.

Not all logs can be sawn from top to bottom. IF the log is under tension, as you saw it and remove boards it will bow. You can do one of two things
Flip the log and take boards from both sides.
Or as the log bows, straighten the top up every couple cuts. Personally I've had better luck drying the boards from the log that was flipped every couple of cuts

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
07-31-2006, 10:15 AM
Well now that I've been mentioned a few times here I guess I should jump in and say something............. ah....."Hi"......... ;)

I had a great time, learned a lot and got a pile of great wood out of my.......
Logging in Tokyo Adventure (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=27490&highlight=Logging+Tokyo)
(that is a link to the L-O-N-G thread here at SMC and here is the link to my website (http://www.ablett.jp/workshop/woodlot.htm) for the shorter version)

....... heck I now own three chainsaws, what more could I ask for? ;)

Your product sure looks like it would be the answer for those who do not want or cannot afford a full mill, swing or bandsaw, but don't want the labour of a chainsaw mill (and trust me it is LABOUR!!).

Here is hoping you guys the best in business in the future!

Good on ya! :D

Layla Robinson
07-31-2006, 4:49 PM
Hi Stu, thanks for posting!

I checked out your website, and your record breaking (?) thread.

You have a fantastic setup, I've passed it around the office here, hope you don't mind. We love seeing how people are doing things around the world. I know some of these guys would rather be out and about, making the most of a land clearance instead of sitting at their computers all day designing!

Thanks for the compliment re: the saw. And I wish you the best of luck with all of your future endeavours too! :)

Travis Johnson
07-31-2006, 5:03 PM
I have my reservations about this sawmill personally. Perhaps in the right application...but then again I have heard that before.

Our first sawmill was a Lane from the turn on the century. It worked well and continues to do so. We even mut our fabrication and machining sklils to use and built out own chainsawmill. Next we got a Thomas Bandsaw Mill.

Well despite the three working sawmills we now have, the old circle saw blade Lane can still out-cut, out-perform and make quality lumber better than the others. I guess in the end, the more things change, the more they stay the same. I'll pass on this one.

Ian Abraham
08-21-2006, 5:15 AM
Was a quiet weekend so we did a roadtrip to the Peterson open day and had a good look at the Skillmill (and the REAL sawmills ;) )

Met up with Layla and the rest of the team at Peterson Sawmills :)

I've attached some pics of it in action, thats my lady MJ driving it (under the watchfull eye of Jake Peterson) and the first board she sawed with it. Yes she had to bring it home so I could make something out of it. :rolleyes:

We were only cutting pine, so no real test on hardwoods, but although you had to slow the cut when going through big knots, there was no deviation of the cut. Jake was just back from shows in Aussie where they tried it on some REAL hardwood. He said it was slow going, but the locals were amazed that it cut it AT ALL :D

Travis, I agree, for guys that are used to a real sawmill it's not going to cut the mustard. But the number of posts we see about how to cut up logs with chainsaws and workshop bandsaws, or finding a commmercial sawyer that will just saw a couple of logs shows there are people out there that sure could use it.

Cheers

Ian

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
08-21-2006, 5:45 AM
Thanks for the report Ian.

This was with the 10" swing blade set-up?

How do you think this would work with the chainsaw attachment? The guide system looks good.......?

Cheers!

PS. make a shelf to put stuff on in the kitchen or hallway out of that precious piece of pine :D

Ian Abraham
08-21-2006, 6:44 AM
Hi Stu

Yeah, that is the little 10" blade mill.

They have a jig so you can sit an Alaskan style chainsaw mill on the same rails. Seems to work well and you could alternate between cutting slabs and boards on the same log.

Picture frame was mentioned in the same sentance as THE board, so I guess with a new baby on the way that idea has possibilities ;) The kitchen remodel has gone on the back burner with the baby cot and stuff taking priority :cool:

Cheers

Ian

Mark Rios
08-21-2006, 9:49 AM
Thanks for the update Ian.

No pics of Layla though?.......dang.

:D

Layla Robinson
08-23-2006, 7:55 PM
Hey Mark, hi again everyone :-),

No, the Skillmill is much better looking than me!

It was great to meet Ian and MJ at our open day, we had a few laughs, and it was cool of MJ to have a go on the baby mill, she's a natural (or has had very good training from Ian).

We are all gearing up for the US Roadshow to commence from the 29th of September. Our mate Tom will be kicking it off with a show in KY on the 15-16 September though. That should be great, Tom will be running his Peterson ATS, and his wife Kate will be operating the Skillmill. Cool!

Mark Rios
08-23-2006, 8:00 PM
Thanks for the update Ian.

No pics of Layla though?.......dang.

Hey Mark, hi again everyone :-),

No, the Skillmill is much better looking than me!

(Dang it..............I got caught AGAIN!!!!) :o :o :o

Layla Robinson
09-04-2006, 11:29 PM
I won't be coming to San Mateo anymore, my trip is being cut short. My last show on our US Roadshow (http://www.skillmill.com/showschedule.htm) will be Georgia, the Sunbelt festival.
Never fear though, the Skillmill will still be coming to San Mateo, with the elegant Kerris Browne (CEO) and sawyer extraordinaire, Chris Browne.
Sorry I won't get to meet you Mark, and anyone else who is going to the OR or CA shows. Maybe next time. :)

Mark Rios
09-05-2006, 1:02 AM
I won't be coming to San Mateo anymore, my trip is being cut short. My last show on our US Roadshow (http://www.skillmill.com/showschedule.htm) will be Georgia, the Sunbelt festival.
Never fear though, the Skillmill will still be coming to San Mateo, with the elegant Kerris Browne (CEO) and sawyer extraordinaire, Chris Browne.
Sorry I won't get to meet you Mark, and anyone else who is going to the OR or CA shows. Maybe next time. :)

OH NO....sorry everybody, I made her not want to come to the west coast. :o :o :o

Scott Kilroy
11-22-2007, 12:57 PM
Hey Mark,

No apology necessary, thank you, my misunderstanding.

Stu the Tokyo Canadian sounds like a very innovative guy, I'll keep an eye out for his stories now I am a member here.

Hey, fourth grade humor is great, it's a couple of steps above the 'toilet humor' I have when not representing Skillmill and Petersons. :D

Thank you for the compliment (re:comments made), I am very open to feedback, in fact, it is a necessary part of bringing a new product to the international market. I know it's a great mill, so I am never discouraged by those who don't.

It will be great to meet you at our show by the way. I am enjoying meeting people from around the world that I get to meet in person! :)

A co-worker from NZ and has described the country "crawling with hobbits, where everyone lives in tiny round homes, but it's a great place to live now that the orcs have been killed off". I always wonder how woodworkers hut the trees since they seem to walk around a lot.

Seriously, the tool seems like a nice small mill solution.

Bill Bryant
11-22-2007, 1:22 PM
I'm not sure I'll ever be in the market for my own mill, but I'd love to know where the demo video was taped. That is a beautiful property!