PDA

View Full Version : First Hollow Form

Jeff Myers
07-25-2006, 8:39 AM
I've been putting it off far too long,,,just turning bottle stoppers and oil lamps was getting old quick,,,especially after seeing all you guys and gals'
nice hollow forms and me wanting to take a stab at it but unsure if i could
do it or not. Well here's my first attempt with wrestling that Hollowmaster,,,I sure need a LOT more practice with THAT tool,,,i just couldn't get the hang of it,,,lots of skipping,jumping,grabbing no matter how easy i approached it, i'm sure it's my technique so i'll keep at it.
Anyhow,,here's the outcome of a piece of spalted sycamore i had with an
inclusion on the top that made things even more interesting for my first attempt.
Finished out about 5" x 3", sanded through MM and Hut friction polish/wax.
Feedback(good or bad) welcomed.
Thanks for looking.

Jeff Myers
07-25-2006, 8:40 AM
sorry about the second picture's quality,,,not too good at the digital camera either.:eek:

Mark Cothren
07-25-2006, 8:43 AM
Hey Jeff, that looks like a great first hollow form! My first one was/is so ugly that I keep it hid behind a big picture on a bookshelf...:D

Nice work! I like the Sycamore, too!

Don Orr
07-25-2006, 8:46 AM
Looks real good from here Jeff. You sure this is your first HF? I think you might be a ringer. I'm not familiar with the Hollowmaster, but keep practicing. Remember to cut at or slightly above center when hollowing.
Keep em coming!

Jeff Myers
07-25-2006, 9:00 AM
Thanks guys, i believe it's called the hollowmaster(actually not sure,,had
it for a while, just never got to it, it's got the curved neck and i do believe i was positioning the tip too low,,,so used to setting up at or below center a bit. After seeing some others' comments on the tool, i think i had the tool rest too close to the wood also, so it's practice time
for me.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
07-25-2006, 9:34 AM
Geez Jeff, that will do nicely!

Love the wood as well!

I've not yet gone there, but I'm trying to build a good base for my lathe first.....:rolleyes:

So what are you doing for an encore :D

Ken Fitzgerald
07-25-2006, 9:53 AM
Jeff.........That's one fine looking HF!

Jeff Myers
07-25-2006, 9:54 AM
Thanks Stu,
No encore for a while,,,i'm pushing my Jet mini to the max turning out
stoppers and lamps,,,gearing up for my first craft show so i can hopefully
add a "real" lathe to my arsenal. I do want to attempt more hollow forms
and definately bowls(tried two bowls on my own before and blew through
the bottom of each one:( ) but that'll have to wait until after the show
in August.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
07-25-2006, 9:56 AM
............................I do want to attempt more hollow forms
and definately bowls(tried two bowls on my own before and blew through
the bottom of each one:( )

Oh, so you made some funnels.......... heck, I think we have all done that a time or two...........:rolleyes: :D

George Conklin
07-25-2006, 9:57 AM
Hey, Jeff. That looks pretty darn good for a first. Be sure to post a follow up on your next attempt with the Hollow Master. This inquiring mind wants to know. I own a HM, but have not used it yet:rolleyes: .

Keith Burns
07-25-2006, 10:12 AM
Jeff, that is a fine piece, especially for you first:) :) Good luck with your show.

Rich Stewart
07-25-2006, 10:26 AM
Nice lookin' HF. I like the wood. I'm starting to really like the knotty gnarled wood. Sort of half natural edge and half not natural edge. Nice job.

Lee DeRaud
07-25-2006, 12:00 PM
Hey, Jeff. That looks pretty darn good for a first. Be sure to post a follow up on your next attempt with the Hollow Master. This inquiring mind wants to know. I own a HM, but have not used it yet:rolleyes: .There are times in the ongoing battle to tame mine that I am convinced that the tool's only redeeming feature is that it won't roll off the bench. :eek:

Tom Sherman
07-25-2006, 12:21 PM
First attempt or not that is a nice looking hollowform I like the Sycamore and the finish is good.

Dick Parr
07-25-2006, 5:01 PM
Very nice Jeff, that baby really shines.

Jim Ketron
07-25-2006, 5:54 PM
Great Job! Beautiful piece of wood, love the inclusions!

Bernie Weishapl
07-25-2006, 7:09 PM
Jeff that is a beauty. Great work.

Ed Scolforo
07-25-2006, 7:39 PM
Jeff, you did a great job on that hollowform. The finish is beautiful.
Ed

Bruce Shiverdecker
07-25-2006, 7:49 PM
Well, Jeff, I'm not going to comment on your picture taking, as I have problems sometimes, too.

The hollow form, on the other hand is outstanding, not just for a first effort.

Bruce

Ernie Nyvall
07-25-2006, 9:50 PM
Jeff, very nice first HF. As to the other side of the feedback, and for a possible future reference, the opening looks a bit unfinished. The bark inclusion on one side looks great, but to balance the opening out a bit, some sort of texturing like burning or a natural collar might look nice. The collar or texture wouldn't go all the way around because the inclusion is lower than the rest, but that would give the balance that I am talking about. I'm certainly no expert, but that is what I see. Did I make any sense?

Ernie

Travis Stinson
07-25-2006, 11:35 PM
Great job Jeff! Keep it up, these things are addicting.;)

Joe Tonich
07-25-2006, 11:49 PM
Sweet!!!! For a 1st, or 10th.....that looks good! :D

Ya done that piece proud. :D

Barry Stratton
07-26-2006, 3:35 AM
I seea great piece of wood and an awesome HF. Well done. I can only hope my 20th is close to that nice!!

Vaughn McMillan
07-26-2006, 3:43 AM
Great job, Jeff. I can only hope my first hollow form comes out that nice.

- Vaughn

Jeff Myers
07-26-2006, 8:47 AM
That inclusion went straight across the center of that blank, i tried leaving a raised opening but that missing piece of the inclusion was loose
and fell out in several pieces and the raised portion looked unfinished so i turned it down to the level it is now,,,i couldn't figure a "fix" as it does look unfinished around that opening,,i might play with it some when i have
a chance and see if i can get creative.