PDA

View Full Version : Jointer table mystery?

Kirk (KC) Constable
09-26-2003, 7:50 AM
Tables on our 8" Grizzly have been problematic lately. It simply won't stay in adjustment, and it's driving me crazy. Yesterday I was trying to face joint some 85" inch curly maple. No way did that work. With a straightedge it was quite obvious the outfeed table was out of whack and drooping at the outfeed end. So what I did was bump up both tables such that they looked co-planar (which means I used a 48" stick of MDF to check), reset the infeed table to give me a little cut and did the job beautifully...no fancy adjusting. The curious thing is that even when it was obviously not right, you'd never see it until you were working with longer material. No snipe front or rear, no indications on material up to perhaps 5' long. It will be out of whack again soon, and I really have no idea why. I seem to recall some mention of this sort of problem being more common on machines with dovetail ways, but I don't understand things like that (mechanical). Whatever the cause, I don't feel like we've moved the tables around enough to 'wear' anything to the point the problem can be as bad as it is. It occurs to me that some kind of support placed underneath the end of the outfeed table might alleviate (not fix) the problem. Anybody care to comment again?

KC

David Eisan
09-26-2003, 7:56 AM
Hello there,

Here is an article I wrote a while back on how to tune a jointer,

http://www.owwm.com/FAQ/JointerTune.asp

Let us know how you make out,

David.

JayStPeter
09-26-2003, 8:09 AM
Well, can't say for sure because I don't have an 8" Grizzly yet. But, on my old Rockwell/Delta 6", I have that problem every now and again. All I have to do is loosen the adjustment screws, hold the outfeed table up and retighten in the correct order (always have to look at the manual).
In my case, I should probably put some sort of thread lock on the adjustment screws so they vibrate loose less often.
Call Bill C at Grizzly and I'm sure he'll point you in the right direction. I'm pretty sure the Grizzly has the same adjustments.

Hope this helps in some way.