PDA

View Full Version : Completed Tavern Table

Calvin Hobbs
07-25-2006, 8:17 AM
All,

I just recently delivered my first actual furniture commission last weekend.

This dining table is built in the style of an early 18th century tavern table.

Materials: Cherry from Irion Lumber in Wellsboro, PA.

Dimensions of top: 48" wide x 90" long (this baby was heavy!).

The top was hand surfaced with hand planes and scrapers as the three boards were much too large for any of my equipment.

Learned a lot especially the finishing of a large top, which was a challenge. Finished with aniline dye, shellac, and waxed. Top was finished with a coat of shellac and Rock hard table top varnish.

Thanks for checking it out, Cal

Mark Singer
07-25-2006, 8:25 AM
Very nice work and simple design! Great finishing job as well!

Steve Strickler
07-25-2006, 8:26 AM
Cal,
Nice table...looks great.
Did you turn the legs?

Keep up the good work!

Chet Parks
07-25-2006, 8:30 AM
Great job! I'd like to build one for my daughter. I've got a whole bunch of cherry just sitting here and this would be a perfect use for some of it. Where did you get the plans, or did you just "wing it"?

Chet Parks

tod evans
07-25-2006, 8:30 AM
nice work cal!

Shelley Bolster
07-25-2006, 8:37 AM
The message is gone, so am I

Carl Eyman
07-25-2006, 8:58 AM
Tavern tables have always been one of my favorites from early Amerricana, and this one is a beautiful example. The top is great both in flatness and finish. Tell us if it is a reproduction of an old piece.

Calvin Hobbs
07-25-2006, 9:13 AM
Thanks to all of you-

The table was not a reproduction of any particular piece, I showed my customers several different examples. Based on their comments I sketched the leg turnings and they liked it. The size was also larger than any period piece I had references of, so I "winged" the plans as you might say, but it wasn't really a haphazard process.

I did turn the legs myself. The hardest part is that corner from square to round. "Catching" a skew can ruin a good day, to say the least.

It was a new feeling of pressure and anxiety as this was not for myself or a family member. I enjoyed it, but I also was relieved when they liked the product.

Thanks again, Cal

Bill Grumbine
07-25-2006, 9:17 AM
Very nice Cal! I can appreciate how much work went into building this, especially all those pommel cuts on the legs. It looks really good, and I am sure the owner is going to love it.

Bill

Roy Wall
07-25-2006, 9:33 AM
Calvin -

I like this long, wide table......the lower stretchers on the legs look just perfect!! NICE FINISH and excellent job - you've got a happy customer.

Peter Pedisich
07-25-2006, 10:14 AM
Great design & very nice color. Thanks for sharing.

Pete

Steve Roxberg
07-25-2006, 10:19 AM
Very pretty table, I love the color.

Did you consider bread board ends on the top? Just wondering because I see them on wide tops so often.

Sean Schwendinger
07-25-2006, 10:32 AM
Calvin that is one nice looking table!!! The Mrs. on you to get one done for your place? If you do, I want your old table!!

Sean

Ken Fitzgerald
07-25-2006, 10:49 AM
Beautiful table Calvin!

Mike Hill
07-25-2006, 10:50 AM
Calvin: An extremely nice looking table and a beautiful finish. Something we would all be proud to have in our home or business.
Mike

Lars Thomas
07-25-2006, 10:53 AM
Great looking table. I made one very similar a few years back. I love the style. Lars

Frank Howell
07-25-2006, 12:22 PM
Wonderful robust design that should out last it's owners several times over. Love the finish. Looks like you really took your time with it.

Jerry White
07-25-2006, 2:05 PM
Beautiful style and workmanship!!! I know your clients must be pleased.

Bruce Page
07-25-2006, 2:32 PM
Calvin, that'll get you more work! Beautiful craftsmanship on the table, I love the color!

Larry Cooke
07-25-2006, 3:14 PM
Beautiful job on the table Calvin, I like it a lot. You customer must have a very large area for it, 48 x 90 is one big table for sure.

Larry

john whittaker
07-25-2006, 4:28 PM
Calvin, great job on the table. I like all aspects of this one. Design, finish and execution are all superb.

Ben Grunow
07-25-2006, 9:14 PM
WOW. What a beauty and timeless design as well. Some folks around here build things like that with vises on them!

Chris Barton
07-25-2006, 9:22 PM
I did turn the legs myself. The hardest part is that corner from square to round. "Catching" a skew can ruin a good day, to say the least.

What a great table and beautiful finish. The transition from square to round is called a pommel and it is one of the hardest things in spindle turning and it looks like you did a great job!

Ted Jay
07-25-2006, 9:33 PM
Absolutely beautiful table, finish and color, I love it. Good Job!

You could probably be greatful they didn't ask for chairs..... OOOh... did I just jinx you?:rolleyes:
Ted

Ben Hobbs
07-25-2006, 10:08 PM
Another nice job, Calvin. You really learn alot when you have to satisfy a customer and do it with time restraints. By the way, I finished my cupboard and will post pictures in a day or two. Dad

Jim Becker
07-26-2006, 12:52 AM
Excellent job!

Corey Hallagan
07-26-2006, 1:14 AM
WOW! What a nice table and the finish is top notch. Beautiful!

Corey

Alan Turner
07-26-2006, 5:11 AM
Very nice work. For those who have not glued up and properly flattened a top of that size, I am not sure the difficulties are that apparent.

A friend bought a table of similar size in the NY and had it shipped here. Might even have been a bit larger. But, as it turned out, it could not simply be moved into the dining room becuase of the configuration of the house and its twists and turns. So, the delivery company fellows, none of whom spoke english, had to take apart the base and then reassemble it. Did you allow any way for this to be size reduced for moving?

Calvin Hobbs
07-26-2006, 9:17 AM
Thanks again for the comments everyone.

Alan,

The top can be taken off the base obviously, but that's about it. I did verify the measurements of the house it was being delivered too, however.

The top being 90" has a 10" overhang on each end, and the small feet turnings at the bottom can be removed (the client has low chairs, but I encouraged them to add the feet in case they ever went back to a standard height chair or if they ever gave or sold the table it would be more useable). So the base totals about 70" x 45" x 27" which by my reasoning should fit through most doorways.

The top indeed was a chore, just lifting the boards up and down to hand joint them to one another took some doing. But it turned out ok.

I considered breadboard ends but my customers didn't want them and really I didn't think I needed them. So I went with the less work option.

It is nice to hear the comments about the finishing, the base went really smoothly. However, I had to work and rework the top several times because of a disaster of wax (I know, Briwax has toluene, I got burned when I left too much on the top), I had to scrape off areas and recoat, then rubbing out I had witness lines, which had to be redone, etc, etc, so I seemed to only see the flaws by the time I was finished.

Cal

Ernie Hobbs
07-28-2006, 10:14 PM
The table looks great. How wide were your boards on the top?

Calvin Hobbs
07-29-2006, 1:13 AM
Ernie,

The boards were 18", 16" and 14". Not exactly what I could find at the local place. Irion custom pulled the boards for me for color match, figure match, etc., including the base.

Cal

lou sansone
07-30-2006, 2:17 PM
hi calvin

great job on the table. I am sure photos do not do it justice.
couple of questions
1. leg size ? 2.5x2.5" ?
2. top thickness 5/4?
3. did you use belhen RHTV ? if so how did you apply it and did you rub it out?
4. skirt pegged to legs?

best wishes
lou

Calvin Hobbs
07-31-2006, 8:08 AM
Lou,

1. Leg size 2.5 x 2.5. Check.
2.Top thickness 5/4. Check.
3. Rubbed out with wet/dry paper and water up to 1200 grit and waxed.
4. Didn't get around to pegging the apron to the legs. Was meaning to... Did wedge the through tenon on the stretcher, though.

Thanks for commenting on the table. What projects do you have going on now? I have a couple in progress and have the wood for another.

Cal