PDA

View Full Version : Companies and Brand Names?

Mark Aho
07-25-2006, 12:29 AM
I know I saw a thread on here some time back with a discussion of the various tool making companies and which brand names they owned. I've searched and cant seem to find it anywhere. So...

I am trying to figure out which brands are made by the same companies, and which tools are generally considered "high end" and which are "lower end" and which fall in between.

If I am not mistaken, Powermatic and Jet are made by the same company, and Powermatic is on the "higher end." I am mainly interested in facts, not just "brand loyalty" based opinions. I know brand loyalty, most my hand tools are yellow, but I didn't research my purchases ahead of time, I just went with the company I know.

From what I've gathered, DeWalt and PorterCable are both made by Black and Decker? Is there a relationship between Grizzly and Shopfox? Where do Bosch, Delta, Makita, Milwaukee, Yorkcraft, General Int., and Ridgid, etc... all fit in? Thanks in advance for helping me sort all this out.

John Callahan
07-25-2006, 4:41 AM
It's not so easy anymore...........
Ownership- Pentair sold Porter Cable and Delta about two years ago to Black and Decker. Papa Grizz (Shiraz Balolia) owns Grizzly and Woodstock International (Shop Fox). TTI (TechTronic Industries Co Ltd) a Hong Kong based holding company owns Milwaukee, Ryobi, and iirc makes Rigid power tools for Home Depot. Wilke Machinery in Pennsylvania owns the Bridgewood and Yorkcraft names. Makita is headquartered in Japan as is Hitachi. General Int. is based in Canada. Bosch (Robert Bosch Corporation) is headquartered in Germany. Jet and Powermatic are owned by WMH (Walter Meier Holding AG), a Swiss based holding company. As for high end/low end it's not so clear these days. For really high end I'd look to Europe and brands like Felder, Knapp, Minimax, Mafell etc. Low low end Harbor Freight, Ryobi, B&D. As to where they're made, it truly is a world economy. Makita, Bosch, Hitachi, and Ryobi have plants in the US as well as elsewhere in the world. Delta has plants in Taiwan and China. It's entirely possible that you might see Powermatic, Bridgewood, Jet, Grizzly, Shop Fox, and General International tools come out of the same machinery
plant(s) in Taiwan.

Mark Aho
07-25-2006, 12:41 PM
Thanks for all the information. I didn't realize it was that complicated.

David Miller
07-25-2006, 1:43 PM
I think woodworking machinery is a lot like bicycles (another one of my hobbies). A single plant may make bikes for several different brands, but the specifications vary. And that can make a big difference. So you can't assume that because "plant A" makes a low end "brand X" that everything that comes out of "plant A" is low end. The brand sets the requirements.

So, Powermatic and Jet can be made in the same plant and yet Powermatic commands a higher price tag. The Powermatic brand sets a higher standard and/or additional features.

That being said I've had good luck with the European brands (mainly hand power tools). I'm a big fan of Bosch. I know at one time Bosch made some of the Ridgid drills.

-Dave

Bruce Benjamin
07-25-2006, 2:11 PM
It's not so easy anymore...........

it truly is a world economy. Makita, Bosch, Hitachi, and Ryobi have plants in the US as well as elsewhere in the world. plant(s) in Taiwan.

But are there any major U.S. owned companies that still build the majority of their tools in the U.S.? If there are I don't know of any. At least there are still smaller companies that do but if you're looking for a major floor machine I think the pickin's are pretty slim. The only tool that I use all the time that's American made and owned is my EZ Smart system. My other major tools are either older Craftsman, (American owned, at least) or Taiwanese. General International is Canadian owned but made overseas and for my money, owned by Canada might as well be owned by Taiwan or China. The money is leaving the U.S. so does it really mater where it goes after that? I would've bought American if it was available.

Bruce

tod evans
07-25-2006, 2:22 PM
But are there any major U.S. owned companies that still build the majority of their tools in the U.S.? If there are I don't know of any. The money is leaving the U.S. so does it really mater where it goes after that? I would've bought American if it was available.

Bruce

bruce, northfield and oakly are still making tools in the same spot they`ve been in. a new u.s.a. company that makes good stuff is unique mfg., williams-n-hussey moved locations----down the street from what i hear.
read this thread just for a little insite on my perspective of import tools;
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=30002&highlight=whining

here`s another about tai/chi tools;

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=27572&highlight=importer

it`ll take a bit to read those two but maybe it`ll give you food for thought? .02 tod

John Kain
07-25-2006, 3:11 PM
.....and don't forget about older tools in these same lines.

I have a B&D circ saw and drill I can't break no matter what I do. These tools were given to me by my father, and are probably 40 years old and still kick arse. No way the B&Ds of today live up to it's predecessor tools.

Ian Barley
07-25-2006, 4:00 PM
Does it matter? If my pension fund owns shares in the compnay making the tools in the USA and therefore some of the profits made by making the tools in the USA end up in my hands in the UK is anybody worse off?

I can only say that when I look at the purchase of a tool I look at what is the best quality and value comensurate with the demands that I will put on the tool. If my next door neighbour made tools and they were rubbish I wouldn't buy any off him.

Not trying to stir things up but if its OK to make a post that says that tools made in xyzland are intrinsically more worthwhile than tools made elsewhere it ought to be reasonable to allow a contrary post.

Mark Rios
07-25-2006, 4:08 PM
Does it matter? If my pension fund owns shares in the compnay making the tools in the USA and therefore some of the profits made by making the tools in the USA end up in my hands in the UK is anybody worse off?

I can only say that when I look at the purchase of a tool I look at what is the best quality and value comensurate with the demands that I will put on the tool. If my next door neighbour made tools and they were rubbish I wouldn't buy any off him.

Not trying to stir things up but if its OK to make a post that says that tools made in xyzland are intrinsically more worthwhile than tools made elsewhere it ought to be reasonable to allow a contrary post.

OH YEAH?!?!?!.........well I happen to come from XYZland and our tools ARE the best. If you're nice, I'll let you buy some.

Ian...you keep right on posting brother.

:D

Tom Jones III
07-25-2006, 4:10 PM
tools made in xyzland are intrinsically more worthwhile

To the best of my knowledge the only current export of xyzland is zippers.

Mark Rios
07-25-2006, 4:24 PM

No offense Tom but I think you might be reffering to xyzland developement. They're based out of Kamframistan. It's a common mistake. They make zippers, we make tools.

In fact, they used to be a subsidiary but they went out on their own after they got a big contract with a golf bag manufacturer.

Ian Barley
07-25-2006, 6:31 PM
I thought that zippers were all made in PRC these days - long live the button fly!??

tod evans
07-25-2006, 6:33 PM
zippers/jointers/tablesaws/ fishheads it`s all the same ....

Steve Clardy
07-25-2006, 7:01 PM
zippers/jointers/tablesaws/ fishheads it`s all the same ....

Yea. But the hillbillie's got a permanent place in MO. and Ark.:D
I don't think we're manufactured anywhere else in the world are we Tod?

:D :D :D ;)

tod evans
07-25-2006, 7:04 PM
Yea. But the hillbillie's got a permanent place in MO. and Ark.:D
I don't think we're manufactured anywhere else in the world are we Tod?

:D :D :D ;)

probably better that way don`t ya` think?

Steve Clardy
07-25-2006, 7:59 PM
probably better that way don`t ya` think?

Yep. Nobody else would have us:eek: ;)