PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw overhaul

Joe Meazle
07-25-2006, 12:22 AM
I recently replaced my BS motor and Am thinking I should go ahead and do a compledte overhaul. I have a 16" Tannewitz that saw some heavy industrial use in a past life. The guides and bearings seem to be in good shape. I need some new tires, thery are grooved and cracked. Anyone have any suggestions on where to get 16" tires? Urathane oer Rubber? I contacted Tannewitz but there tires are very expensive (as are all parts for this saw). Any trick for geting old tiers off and new ones on?
Thanks,
joe

Bobby Wartman
07-25-2006, 1:38 AM
You can get the tire's here:

http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/band_saw_tires.asp

Steve Clardy
07-25-2006, 7:39 PM
I've switched my 12 and 20 to urethane tires.

Have 3-4 friends over and have a tire replacement party when you get ready to put them on.
Soaking in hot water helps out also.

Pete Bradley
07-25-2006, 8:21 PM
Check out Bob Vaughan's article on band saw tire replacement in the Articles section of the Old Woodworking Machines site:

http://www.owwm.com/files/PDF/FAQ/1992-FWW-BandsawTires.pdf

It's a good workout for your hands.

Pete

Joe Meazle
07-25-2006, 11:03 PM
Thanks guys,

Steve,

Not sure i have that many friends.

;) ;) ;)

Joe Meazle
07-25-2006, 11:14 PM
I think I am going to go wioth the urathane. Suffolk seems to be the cheapest. $22 for 16"x1 1/4". Carter makes some "16x 1 1/2" that WWSupply sells but they are $35. Anyone know of anymor 16 inchers worth looking into?

Joe

Steve Clardy
07-26-2006, 1:38 AM
Got mine off ebay from--------------name has escaped my brain at the moment.
Same urethane tires that Hartville Tool sells.

You may have to invite Peacock and Cothran over for a wheel party.

Joe Meazle
07-26-2006, 1:53 AM
Yep, saw a couple of vendors on Ebay good prices.

I don't know Steve I am probally running short on favors with Mark and Dennis. They helped me move a piano a couple of months ago. Got to see the famous Dennis Peacock olympic weightlifiting face though.:eek:

Steve Clardy
07-26-2006, 2:04 AM
Oh:eek: I hear the ol' piano move:eek:

I think I killed off a couple of friends that way several years ago.

Last one the WIFE:( :rolleyes: purchased, I had it delivered.
No friends involved:o ;) :D

Vaughn McMillan
07-26-2006, 3:24 AM
Oh:eek: I hear the ol' piano move:eek:

I think I killed off a couple of friends that way several years ago.

Last one the WIFE:( :rolleyes: purchased, I had it delivered.
No friends involved:o ;) :D
Anybody who moves a piano for me is my friend, even if I've never met them before in my life. :p

- Vaughn

Al Willits
07-26-2006, 8:43 AM
Wondering if those piano movers would be interested in moving a wood stove out of my basement and to anywhere they want?? :)

I don't pay much, but I have lots of beer......

Anybody know if Mr. Vaughn has a video for setting up ban saws like the Jointer/Planer one???

Seems mine cuts about 10 degree's off and would like it a bit closer anyway.

Al who wonders if 7 beers in the fridge is a lot??

Steve Clardy
07-26-2006, 9:21 AM
7 beers. If one friend is over, you may squeek by. now if 5-6 are over, I think you got problems:D

Al Willits
07-26-2006, 10:16 AM
I'm thinking one person ain't gonna get this woodstove outta the basement, might have to buy a keg.....:)

You know it ain't gonna be easy if you can't give away a wood stove in Minn...

Al who was much younger when it went in.

Steve Clardy
07-26-2006, 10:39 AM
We've heated with wood for about 30 years I guess.
Back in about 1980 we had a drafty old house that consumed propane gas like crazy.
I built one wood stove and installed it in the living room.
Still cold, and still paying for LP.
So we had gone to an auction, I was goggling the tools and such, and the wife was goggling, buying the usual woman stuff.
We had talked about buying, building another woodstove for one of the downstairs rooms, for added heat.
We got seperated at the auction for a spell.
I found her down in the basement of the house at the auction, bidding on an old cookstove.:eek: :confused:

I stood there a bit, and she got the stove for something like 15.00.

She was excited:D , I was a tad peeved.:(

Basement entrance was from the outside of the house. Just as soon as you opened the door, the staircase made a 90 degree turn. Staircase was 24" wide.

Here was a 22-24" wide stove for me to get out of the basement.
I was NOT too pleased.
I got ahold of it, got it scooted to the steps, had to turn it on its side to clear the wall and railing, when the whole bottom fell out of the stove:eek: :mad: :eek: :mad:

Well that lightened the load somewhat I guess.
Got it up the stairs, into the pickup, where it stayed for a week till I took it to the iron yard and dumped it off