PDA

View Full Version : Saying goodbye to my friend.

Richard Wolf
07-24-2006, 6:05 PM
Had to take my dog to the Vet today, he has not been himself. The news was devastating, he has a large tumor in his lungs. A few weeks to make him comfortable and the dreaded reality which must be faced.
What a heartbreaking day.

Richard

Lars Thomas
07-24-2006, 6:17 PM
Richard, that's a beautiful dog. Enjoy the ensuing weeks. Lars

Cecil Arnold
07-24-2006, 6:19 PM
Richard, we have a 16 year old dog that is approching that day all too fast, I know how you must feel.

Ian Barley
07-24-2006, 6:19 PM
Had to take my dog to the Vet today, he has not been himself. The news was devastating, he has a large tumor in his lungs. A few weeks to make him comfortable and the dreaded reality which must be faced.
What a heartbreaking day.

Richard
Richard - I know how tough it has been in my own life when this sad decision has to be faced. There is no good way to deal with it. You have had a special relationship with a great friend and now it is coming to an end. I think it is even tougher because you are making a choice for him. But he (and you) knows that you have always made the best choices for him for the best reasons so far and this is the next one of them and you will make it for the same reasons. Still hurts like anything though - my thoughts are with you.

Mark Rios
07-24-2006, 6:21 PM
My sympathies and condolences to you Richard. I hate thinking about the days that will inevitably come when I have to say goodbye to my two faithful friends. Very sad days indeed.

A big hug from me to you and yours Richard.

tod evans
07-24-2006, 6:22 PM
my condolences richard, my guys are getting gray in the muzzle and i`m not looking forward to the day....tod

Joe Pelonio
07-24-2006, 6:27 PM
My sympathy, Richard. From the pic he looks like a true dog gentleman.
Give him lots of hugs until the time comes.

Al Willits
07-24-2006, 6:29 PM
Having already to put down three dogs and crying like a baby each time, I can only say I feel your pain, enjoy the time you have left.

Al

Scott Donley
07-24-2006, 6:42 PM
Richard, they truly are our best friends and I understand your sorrow, and yes, a grown man can cry. Take care.

Fred Voorhees
07-24-2006, 7:12 PM
Richard, my condolences. I fully understand where your coming from. In fact, its pretty ironic, just today, I was talking with a co-worker about the time that I had to put a cat of mine down becuase of feline leukemia. She was with us for eight years and was the little love of my life. I cried like a baby at the vets just before we took her into the room where they would do the deed. Keep a stiff upper lip there guy. Remember the great times and be thankful for them.

Greg Ladd
07-24-2006, 7:14 PM
We have a 12 year old Golden that has been a faithful member of our family. We all know that day is coming and it will be a terrible loss for us.

Enjoy the time you have left with your friend and cherish the memories from the past.

Greg

Frank Chaffee
07-24-2006, 7:14 PM
I sure feel for you Richard.

One thing that will endure is the love between the two of you.

Be well through this trying time my friend, and feel your pain as fully as your love.

Frank

Bruce Page
07-24-2006, 7:17 PM
Richard, I feel your pain. I went through a similar situation 1œ years ago and it still hurts.

Vaughn McMillan
07-24-2006, 8:05 PM
Sorry to hear the news, Richard. As Joe said, yours looks like a true gentleman of a dog. I look at our two fuzzy children and dread the inevitable time when they won't be around. May you find strength in the weeks to come, and comfort in the remembrances of the past.

- Vaughn

Matt Meiser
07-24-2006, 8:11 PM
Sorry to hear about your dog. My first dog as an adult died a few years ago. He was scheduled to go to the vet, which I suspected would result in a similar finding, but he died the night before.

Ray Bersch
07-24-2006, 8:35 PM
sorry, my friend, I know how you feel.
Ray

Mark Singer
07-24-2006, 8:42 PM
I am very sorry to hear the news.....we fall in love with them and they return real love....we all must part at some time from our dogs....be well

Jim King
07-24-2006, 8:44 PM
She Is Gone

You Can Shed Tears That She Is Gone
Or You Can Smile Because She Lived
You Can Close Your Eyes And Pray That She Comes Back
Or You Can Open Your Eyes And See All That Shes Left
Your Heart Can Be Unhappy Because You Cant See Her
Or You Can Be Full Of The Love You Shared
You Can Turn Your Back On Tomorrow Because Of Yesterday
Or You Can Be Happy For Tomorrow Because Of Yesterday
You Can Remember Her And Only That She Is Gone
Or You Can Cherish Her Memory And Let It Live On
You Can Cry And Lose Your Mind
Be Empty And Turn Your Back
Or You Can Do What SheŽd Want
Smile, Open Your Eyes Love And Go On

Andy Hoyt
07-24-2006, 8:47 PM
This is always so sad, Richard. Like others, I've been in these particular shoes myself and it thoroughly stinks. Take heart that your buddy will demonstrably love you right to the end and that he won't suffer.

In the meantime, spend a lot of time down on the floor and in the grass with him. Wrestle, tug, play, and frolic. He deserves it - and so do you.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-24-2006, 9:01 PM
Richard.........my sincere sympathy..........I've been there and done that and it's painful............my sincere sympathy. Little kids and dogs..........their love is unconditional!

Tyler Howell
07-24-2006, 9:03 PM
I feel your pain. Best Wishes

Shelley Bolster
07-24-2006, 9:15 PM
The message is gone, so am I

Doug Shepard
07-24-2006, 9:16 PM
Richard
I feel for you buddy. Not much feels worse that having one of your "kids" be in that situation. I've lost 2 cats to cancer over the past few years. I really dread the day when my dog reaches the end of her life. Having to put one of your buddies to sleep is the hardest thing I've ever had to do. They have a way of telling you when it's time though and seem to understand and welcome what you're doing for them. Hope all goes as well as possible.

Robert Mickley
07-24-2006, 9:31 PM
Man Richard my heart goes out to you man, I've had to put a couple down and it tears me up big time.

Dar Lounsbury
07-24-2006, 9:49 PM
Best Wishes, I understand your sorrow. After two times like this, I said no more dogs. The family won me over and we have two more that are getting old. As hard as these times are, I would not have chosen to miss having a dog or two or three............ They are the best of friends. Dar

Bob Noles
07-24-2006, 9:54 PM
How heartbreaking Richard.... My thoughts and prayers go your way. He looks like he has been a true friend for a long time. I love dogs but have not had the heart to press for another one after losing my last one.

Best wishes and be strong during this sad time.

Don Baer
07-24-2006, 9:55 PM
Richard,
I know your sorrow. Take heart and know that you and this pet are forever joined. I have lost a few and as much as it hurts, the good memories far outweight the loss.

Jim Becker
07-24-2006, 10:03 PM
Bummer, Richard. Sometimes we sorta forget these wonderful creatures are just like family members until the prospect of them no longer being there arises. Truly a sad time...

Ron Jones near Indy
07-24-2006, 10:21 PM
You have my deepest sympathy Richard. Been there; done that. That last trip was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. Make the most of the time you have left together. It is most precious.

Jim O'Dell
07-24-2006, 11:26 PM
Richard, as the other have said, I send my condolences. He is a beautiful boy. One thing I tell people to do when they lose a special friend, is to make a file in the computer, and title it something like one we have, Portia's Life.
In this file, write down all the fun, cute, loving things the animal did in it's life. Little one line rememberances. It helps to dwell on the good things that the animal has been part of, and helps to take away a little of the sting of losing them. Usually for a year after we have lost one of our Irish, we will pop the file open, and add something we remembered, but failed to put in before.
Glenna and I have 2 that turned 11 in June. They were bred and born in our house. There were 6 in the litter. Four of the 6 earned their AKC Championships, including the two we kept. The boy was originally not supposed to stay here, but I fell in love with him, and was allowed to keep him. He is my heart dog. One of the 6 is already gone to the Bridge, so we know that time is not on our side.
Be with your friend, hold him while the Dr. does what is needed when the time comes. Cry like a baby and let your tears fall on your friend. He deserves the same love from you that he gave you all these years. And remember:

The Rainbow Bridge
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Peace...Jim.

Jerry Olexa
07-24-2006, 11:52 PM
Richard, a truly difficult time for you and your beloved pet. I understand the bond that forms and its so tough to have to let go. Its a time which is inevitable but which we all dread. Spend as much time with her these next few weeks. Sorry, I've been there and its not easy....

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
07-25-2006, 4:17 AM
Richard, that just sucks, I feel for you, and your friend.

David Wilson
07-25-2006, 9:03 AM
Richard
You have our deepest sympathy. Remember the good times.

Don Baer
07-25-2006, 1:53 PM
Richard,
I am so sorry. I can feel your pain.

Jeff Moffett
07-25-2006, 2:52 PM
Richard,
I'm so sorry to hear about your beloved companion. Giving up my previous golden retriever was one of the hardest things I've ever done. I spent a month after she died pouring through all of her pictures and created a memorial website for her. I cried a lot of tears, but looking back through all of our great times together really helped me process my grief.

www.moffsoft.com/baylor (http://www.moffsoft.com/baylor)

Richard Wolf
07-25-2006, 4:29 PM
I just wanted to say thank you to all my friends and your words of comfort.
Thanks to all.

Richard

john whittaker
07-25-2006, 4:39 PM
Richard,
What a fine looking friend you have. Our thoughts go out to you.

John & Terri

Jim Tobias
07-25-2006, 6:13 PM
I've been through that more times than I want to remember and I still have 3 dogs now. I'm 56 and have had a dog continuously since I was 11. I know how hard it is to make that tough decision. No matter why, it still hurts more than anyone else can understand. My condolences are with you. Enjoy the days and spoil your "best friend" all you can.
One of the best prayers that I have ever heard is: "Lord, please make me half the man my dog thinks I am".

Jim

Ed Breen
07-25-2006, 10:03 PM
Richard,
I'm sitting here with a lump in my throat. We had to help our Buddy end his pain a month ago, and I feel your sorrow and pain.

Ed.