PDA

View Full Version : My Bandsaur rebuild (part 1)

David Eisan
09-25-2003, 11:03 PM
Dear All,

Here is how my Wadkin Bursgreen C5 20" bandsaw is coming along. It is over at my neighbour/buddy Mikes place right now as he is a skilled finisher and just happens to have a full paint set-up in his garage.

http://members.rogers.com/moreweb/images/primer.jpg

It is in grey primer right now and will get its first coat of Vista Green
tomorrow.

I am very eager to get it back together and fire it up, Seventeen inches of resaw, Carter precision guides and three horsepower, I cannot wait to fire it up and do some serious resawing. Weighs 600+ pounds all dressed.

Thanks,

David.

Every neighbourhood has one, in mine, I'm him.

Jerry Crawford
09-25-2003, 11:19 PM
Dear All,

Here is how my Wadkin Bursgreen C5 20" bandsaw is coming along. It is over at my neighbour/buddy Mikes place right now as he is a skilled finisher and just happens to have a full paint set-up in his garage.

It is in grey primer right now and will get its first coat of Vista Green
tomorrow.

I am very eager to get it back together and fire it up, Seventeen inches of resaw, Carter precision guides and three horsepower, I cannot wait to fire it up and do some serious resawing. Weighs 600+ pounds all dressed.

David.

That's a satisfying event dave. Congratulations on your rebuild. How did you come across this beauty, what condition was it in when you found it andhow much did you get it for? It probably will be "better" than factory new when your done. I've a Delta/Rockwell 14" I rehabbed a few years ago and I recall how proud I was the first time I fired it up and made dust. It's almost a sacrelige to dirty up that beautiful clean machine the first time.

I offer this, use those red urethane band saw tires on your wheels and segmented "link" belt's to drive the power wheel. Your saw will love you. I bought my tires Suffolk Machine but I suppose others market them too.

David Eisan
09-27-2003, 8:21 AM
That's a satisfying event dave. Congratulations on your rebuild. How did you come across this beauty, what condition was it in when you found it andhow much did you get it for? It probably will be "better" than factory new when your done. I've a Delta/Rockwell 14" I rehabbed a few years ago and I recall how proud I was the first time I fired it up and made dust. It's almost a sacrelige to dirty up that beautiful clean machine the first time.

I offer this, use those red urethane band saw tires on your wheels and segmented "link" belt's to drive the power wheel. Your saw will love you. I bought my tires Suffolk Machine but I suppose others market them too.

Iwork at one of Canada's largest power tool stores (anyone in London Ontario knows who that is). A window company wanted to trade this bandsaw in on a new one. This saw had seen daily use for 30+ years. The tires were shot (one was actually missing), the Carter guides were in poor shape, it needed some serious TLC, but worst of all, it was three phase so I had no intention of offering them any trade in value against a new machine. I suggested they sell it privately in any of the many used machinery rags. But, then I thought, hey, I could use this machine, so I offered them $200 for it, which they jumped at.

I cannot use the red urethane tires, these wheels have a groove in them. I did find that the tires off a really old Delta 20" bandsaw would fit, and I acquired a set of those.

I also agree that link belt is a wonderful, but it cannot be used on this machine. The proper name for this type of belt escapes me right now, but it uses a single wider than normal ribbed belt. It is not a common type of belt, I am going to have to wait a *month* to get one from my regular belt supplier.

David.