PDA

View Full Version : Working with Spalted wood… Need help!!!!!

Tony Sizemore
07-24-2006, 5:33 PM
I don’t post much on this side of town but I need some help. I have just received some wood form a customer to start a entertainment center. The Red Oak came from the farm she had grown up on. It is nice and dry, but as I started planning down over the weekend I found that a bunch of it has started to Spalt. I have never done any flat work with spalted wood, but I have turned it. Can anyone tell me how it would react to staining? I can only imagine that someone out there has tried this and can give me some input on it. ANY (Is that better?) help would be great.:D

Forrest Price
07-24-2006, 6:41 PM
. Ant help would be great.:D
If you say so..here he is to save the day!!:D Sorry folks, couldn't help it!

Hang in there Tony, someone will be along that can actually help!

Dick Strauss
07-24-2006, 8:04 PM
Tony,
A friend turned a spalted HF and sprayed brightly colored dyes over the surface. He then sprayed lacquer over that. The well defined black spalting lines cut right through the color in the finished piece. I assume the same will be true for you unless your stain is very dark.

Good luck

Matt Meiser
07-24-2006, 8:13 PM
I haven't worked with it at all, but wonder if you will need additional planning for structural issues?

Tony Sizemore
07-24-2006, 9:05 PM
The wood has just begun to spalt. It is completely sound. Only a small portion, maybe ¼ to 1/8<SUP>th</SUP> of an inch of the surface after being sized to ¾ of and inch has any sign of spalting, and only on small portions of the board.
I am just going to go ahead with what I have planed and do some testing on scrap. It’s not that big a deal.