PDA

View Full Version : Surge Protection for Laser

James & Zelma Litzmann
07-24-2006, 5:06 PM
Does anyone know of good surge protector for a laser that is ran on 220? I've been looking but not sure what I am looking for, the weather here in Texas is a tad unpredictable? :) I've just always unplugged everything, but the other night I woke up to a severe thunderstorm, wondering if I remember to do that . . . or not?

Thanks for any help given.

Z

Bobby McCarley
07-24-2006, 5:27 PM
Hello James,
I don't own a laser, so I'm not 100% sure if this would work. But most utility companies offer a surge protection device for the whole house that offer better protection than a regular surge protector. I don't know if you have your laser in your home or in an seperate shop, but I would check in to this. I've looked at lasers and at the cost of them, this extra protection would be worth it.

Bobby
Louisiana

James & Zelma Litzmann
07-24-2006, 5:31 PM
Yes it would, thanks for the help.

J & Z

Dave Jones
07-24-2006, 5:40 PM
What type of power connectors are you using? Here's a guide:

http://www.tripplite.com/shared/pdf/plugs_outlets.pdf

John Minton
07-25-2006, 1:23 PM
Hello and God Bless

On the Metal side of my business I have a 1500 watt & 2600 watt lasers that are in the Tampa Bay area (the lighting strike capital of the US). We called Tampa Elect. and talked to them about surge protection and here is what they told me.

If the strike is a mile away they can stop it with the surge protection system they sell. If the strike is on your block they are not sure. If the strike is to your building they said ------------->

Nothing made by man can stop it from entering your equip.:(

In the Milli sec. it takes to react the damage is done.:eek:

They told us that when a thunderstorm is in the area to power down and turn off the breaker or unplug. The system they sell does offer protection from spikes and dips which can give you fits anyway.

In the 13 years we have been in business we had one hit before protection it caused $25,000.00 damage to one machine (2 power supplies). Also check into lighting insurance we got it and it was not very much.

Hope this helps

John

James & Zelma Litzmann
08-07-2006, 5:23 PM
Hey, everybody, sorry I haven't answered any of the questions, that would be because I don't know the answer. The type of plug is hard because we have some sort of converter or adjuster on it. I've been waiting for J to be here where I can get him to help me reply to this but he's working now, to help keep the shop open until it can support its self :confused: and I give up on getting him here to help reply to this. So, I will continue to unplug until we can figure this out, thanks a million for all your responses, you are still a great bunch of people! I just didn't want you all to think I was being neglectful.

Thanks again,
J&Z

Ken Garlock
08-07-2006, 5:56 PM
HI J&Z. The best thing to do when lightning is in the area is to unplug your equipment. The best protection for line surges is an air gap between your gear and the power line. Consider that the lightning has already jumped a mile or two from the cloud, and anything near the strike is fair game, the lightning will go where it wants regardless of your attempts to prevent it. Your just can't compete with millions of volts and tens of thousands of amperes.:eek:

John Minton is right on the money. IF the hit is not right in your immediate area, surge suppressors will help. I see that you are down near the state 'graduate school'. If you happen to be on a co-op power company, you may have already have fuses on the power pole where the pole transformer is mounted. I am on the Grayson Collin Electric Coop, and we had a nearby strike that blew two of the 'fuses' on our 7200V line, but didn't harm anything in the house- computers, TVs, appliances.