PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking Club in Georgetown / Round Rock Texas

Ben Roman
07-24-2006, 3:30 PM
Hello, I am interested in starting a woodworking club in Georgetown/Round Rock area and would like to see if I can drum up any interest in establishing one !

Ben Roman

Mike Hill
07-24-2006, 3:51 PM
Ben: Very interested in your idea and know there are some others that might be also. You might email Tim Solley here in Round Rock, he is a member of SMC. There are many shop jigs, plans, projects and tool information we could share.
Mike

Ben Roman
07-24-2006, 3:52 PM
There is also a gentleman in Georgetown that is interested. He has a wood meiser and is selling top notch Mesquite and Pecan !!! Woo hoo what a connection

Ben

Tim Solley
07-24-2006, 4:02 PM
Great timing! Just this morning I was looking to see if there are any woodworking clubs in Austin. There are a couple, but they're all down south. I wanted to start up something real informal up here on the north side of town.

I will definitely volunteer to host any get togethers at my place on the south side of Round Rock. I'm also a homebrewer, and my kegerator just happens to reside in my shop. It can be quite difficult to resist the temptation to indulge myself while woodworking. But alas, I resist until I'm done with the power tools. In any case though, it makes for a great way to attract visitors!

I'm expecting my first born child this week, so I of course will be busy changing diapers, fetching things for my wife, and just generally devoting all my waking time to taking care of others for a while. But things will calm down a bit in a few weeks and I'll definitely be up for a get together.

Oh, and I haven't brewed any beer since my wife got pregnant (I vowed to stop drinking for 9 months to show solidarity...don't ask why...I don't know :p). So I need to get brewing. Time from brewing to drinking is about four weeks. And I'm open to suggestions for styles to brew. I'll probably brew up two five gallon batches.

Okay, enough typing already.

Tim

Tim Solley
07-24-2006, 4:03 PM
There is also a gentleman in Georgetown that is interested. He has a wood meiser and is selling top notch Mesquite and Pecan !!! Woo hoo what a connection

Ben

Ben, now you REALLY have my attention!

Tim

Ben Roman
07-25-2006, 11:06 AM
We need a Name !!! Any Suggestions

Ben

Mike Hill
07-25-2006, 11:56 AM
Well, how about CTS or "Central Texas Woodworkers". Not very creative Huh? Maybe "Longhorn Woodworkers". OK, another lawsuit :) I will continue to give this some thought. Want to add that my home and garage shop is open for meetings also. No home brew, but I can smoke some very good ribs on the smoker.

Mike

Tim Solley
07-25-2006, 11:57 AM
I posed this one to Ben yesterday. He seemed to get a kick out of it.

Central Texas Woodpeckers

Tim

Mike Hill
07-25-2006, 12:46 PM
Tim: This one sounds fine to me!
Mike

Don Baer
07-25-2006, 12:50 PM
Your logo can be a woody woodpecker with a ten gallon hat on..:D

Luis Oliveira
07-25-2006, 2:55 PM
Sing me up. I think this is a fantastic idea.

Luis

Ben Roman
07-25-2006, 4:29 PM
That makes 7 people so far if we get to 10 then we have a real club of sorts. !!!

Ben Roman
07-25-2006, 5:23 PM
43469Here it is so far !!! Just going to go with the Woodpeckers Theme !!

Bryan Hunt
07-25-2006, 5:31 PM
I'm interested. I might even be able to offer up our new house for a meeting ... if they ever finish building the thing.

Don Baer
07-25-2006, 5:48 PM
43469Here it is so far !!! Just going to go with the Woodpeckers Theme !!

He needs a Ten Gallon Hat I'm telling ya..:D

Steve Clardy
07-25-2006, 7:13 PM
I got a stepson in, or used to be in Georgetown. He used to do a little woodworking.
He's moved, can't think of the town name. Around georgetown and roundrock.
He works for ASC or something like that. They make airplane controls, circuits, etc.

He's been a little busy lately hunting down women and such. Lol
If I had some of you alls email address I'll put him in contact with ya.

Charlie Plesums
07-26-2006, 1:11 AM
Great timing! Just this morning I was looking to see if there are any woodworking clubs in Austin. There are a couple, but they're all down south. I wanted to start up something real informal up here on the north side of town....Tim
Fine Woodworkers of Austin is a club on the North side of Austin, that meets the first Thursday of each month at the Woodcraft store classroom. We have members from as far as San Antonio and Salado. You are welcome to join us. See www.finewoodworkersofaustin.org (http://www.finewoodworkersofaustin.org) or drop me a note for details.

The Woodworkers Club of Austin, Texas is commonly called the "south" club, that meets at Hogans. A number of people are members of both clubs.

Derrell W Sloan
07-26-2006, 1:41 AM
I live in NW Austin. Count me in

Ben Roman
07-28-2006, 5:51 PM
Fine Woodworkers of Austin is a club on the North side of Austin, that meets the first Thursday of each month at the Woodcraft store classroom. We have members from as far as San Antonio and Salado. You are welcome to join us. See www.finewoodworkersofaustin.org (http://www.finewoodworkersofaustin.org) or drop me a note for details.

The Woodworkers Club of Austin, Texas is commonly called the "south" club, that meets at Hogans. A number of people are members of both clubs.
Can you pass the word on at the next meeting about the Texas Woodpeckers ???? Or maybe I can swing by the meeting and spread the word.

Ben

Fred Woodward
07-28-2006, 6:16 PM
I'd be interested too. Can't hurt to be in more than one woodworking club. :D

Mark Duksta
07-28-2006, 6:28 PM
I live south but I'd be interested in joining.

Mark

Harold Young
07-30-2006, 12:39 PM
Hello, I am interested in starting a woodworking club in Georgetown/Round Rock area and would like to see if I can drum up any interest in establishing one !

Ben Roman

I live in Georgetown and would be interested in joining a woodworking club.

Harold Young

Mike Hill
08-03-2006, 7:24 AM
I am willing to host a first meeting of the group some night next week. Would Thursday the 10th about 6 p.m. work out for everyone? Nothing real formal, just a shop tour, short meeting and then pitch a few washers and refreshments?

Mike

Fred Woodward
08-03-2006, 9:12 AM
Not to steal the thread but, the Fine Woodworkers of Austin club meeting is tonight at 7PM at Woodcraft. Meeting is usually over around 9PM.
Come meet some folks and spread the word about forming a new (additional) club in the Austin area.
Won't cost you anything to attend a meeting as a guest.

Mike,
Sounds great for a first meeting.

Ben Roman
08-03-2006, 10:18 AM
Can't make the 10th will be on vacation till the 12th. Maybe we can get together, loose meeting to organize meeting dates and setup a schedule for the club.

Ben

Mike Hill
08-03-2006, 10:55 AM
Ben: This sound's fine with me. Anytime is OK since I am off these days :)
512-585-2800
Mike

Mike Hill
08-03-2006, 10:57 AM
Not to steal the thread but, the Fine Woodworkers of Austin club meeting is tonight at 7PM at Woodcraft. Meeting is usually over around 9PM.
Come meet some folks and spread the word about forming a new (additional) club in the Austin area.
Won't cost you anything to attend a meeting as a guest.

Mike,
Sounds great for a first meeting.

Fred: Very nice of you to invite us. Basically though, we are for the most part trying to avoid the drive into Austin these days. I guess that's the reason for something up this way. I do get into shop at Woodcraft though and love just to roam around and look.
Mike

Robert Allison
09-11-2007, 1:28 AM
I am new here, but I am in Georgetown. I would be interested in something up in this area.