PDA

View Full Version : Cutting (Sawing) Acrylic (Slightly OT)

Bob Kline
07-24-2006, 2:10 PM
I have a 14" band saw and a 10" table saw and I'll be needing to cut 1/2" acrylic (Plexiglass). I'm reluctant to use my wood cutting blades. What saw and blade do you recommend?
Thanks,
Bob Kline

tod evans
07-24-2006, 2:23 PM
bob, most blade manufacturers offer blades to cut plastics for the tablesaw, check with your local supply house to see what they carry. i`ve never had much luck getting a clean cut in plastics on the bandsaw but any ol` 4 tooth blade will cut it.. be sure to wear safety glasses when cutting, plastic will explode and shoot shrapnel at you if you get in a bind.(first hand experience!) .02 tod

Lee DeRaud
07-24-2006, 3:23 PM
You're just chopping a big sheet up into laser-sized chunks, right?
For that, I use a jigsaw with a metal-cutting blade.

Jerry Allen
07-25-2006, 10:58 AM
I use a 7" hollow ground blade in my 10" table saw. I think it's an Irwin from Home Depot. Very inexpensive. It is rated for plastics and ply. Use a wax stick to lube it.
There are 10" TCG carbide blades with a negative hook for plastic, but they cost at least $100.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
07-25-2006, 11:19 AM
Half inch may be a bit thick for this, but for 1/4" I just tilt my TS blade at 45, and then have the tip of the corner of the blade just proud of the table top, maybe 1/16" of an inch? You then score the plexi and then snap it off.

I was shown this at a plastics place when I asked them how they cut the stuff.

My two cents worth!

Cheers!