PDA

View Full Version : Lessons with Bill Grumbine

Bart Leetch
07-24-2006, 1:56 PM
I took some lessons on turning from Bill Grumbine right here in my own shop. Watch the DVD try technique watch the DVD try some more. On this little piece of Sassafras.

It has a little crack that seems to radiate out from the area of the pith. I couldn't see the crack on the face side that is against the face plate so I don't know how deep it goes. Should I try thin liquid CA glue?

Bart Leetch
07-24-2006, 3:20 PM
After looking at this bowl a little more I think I'll try turning it a little smaller & see if I run out of this crack.:eek: :)

Bernie Weishapl
07-24-2006, 3:21 PM
Hey Bart I have did it two ways. One is with thin CA if the crack is not to bad or like hair line. Otherwise I mix epoxy with some sanding dust then add DNA so it is like milk or the consistancy of milk. Paint it on until it won't take anymore. Make sure you soak the pith so it doesn't crack anymore. Let it dry overnight and either finish turning or sanding depending where I am at. Haven't lost one yet using either method. I just finished a cedar bowl that crack straight across from each other. I used the epoxy mix on it and finish turning yesterday. It is being finished now.

Bart Leetch
07-24-2006, 3:29 PM
Thanks Bernie

The pith is as thin as a fingernail right out at the edge read almost not there, so it would just be the crack that I'd have to take care of.

Bart Leetch
07-24-2006, 8:31 PM
I tried a little thin CA & the crack just disappeared. It was a vary small crack. I guess we will see what happens as I continue to turn it.

Thanks Bernie

Tyler Howell
07-24-2006, 9:00 PM
I got to see the master at work this past weekend . Asked lots of questions, getting geared up for the long slide.:o

Dale Thompson
07-24-2006, 9:44 PM
Asked lots of questions, :o

Hi Howl,
I know that it is none of my business but did ANY of your questions have ANYTHING to do with turning? :cool: :D :) :)

By the way, from your avatar, you get better looking all the time. :) Do you have a personal makeup artist? :confused: If so, please send him/her to Spring, Arena, and Dells!! ;) :)

Dale T.

Bart Leetch
07-24-2006, 11:51 PM
Wow Tyler what nose job & cute ears to. I know you still wear a thong & I don't even want to know how with a tail.:D Maybe something like this -o- tail in the hole.:eek: :eek: :eek: :D