PDA

View Full Version : When it all comes together

Curt Fuller
07-24-2006, 12:36 PM
It's been hot this summer everywhere and the world has been full of turmoil and strife. There's been no shortage of things to make a guy cranky and ornery for sure. But there's always one special time when everything comes together. I'm not talking about the planets being in alignment or a certain phase of the moon. What I'm talking about it when the home grown tomatoes start getting ripe. Depending on where you live it happens at a different date but here in northern Utah the tomatoes are coming on. And as the Guy Clark song says, "There's only two things that money can't buy and that's true love and home grown tomatoes".

Now you mix those home grown tomatoes with some fresh zuchinni, bell peppers, jalapeno peppers, a little eggplant, an onion, and a few carrots and you chop it all together and sit a big hand turned bowl of that stuff next to a bigger hand turned bowl tortilla chips and you get a little taste of what heaven is going to be like. You can stir a little into your scrambled eggs, spred some over top of a grilled burger or a piece of grilled chicken, you could even mix some into a plate of grits and make those go down with ease.

I'm telling you, when the home grown tomatoes start coming on that's when it all comes together!

Rob Russell
07-24-2006, 1:11 PM
Sounds good. Our "patio pot" tomatoes are still coming. My version would include a few bottles of hot sauce to plop on the chip 'n salsa too - probably some of the chipotle or habanero ones from the collection.

Lee DeRaud
07-24-2006, 1:13 PM
I think you guys got lucky on the timing and temperature: everybody here is complaining because their tomato plants won't throw fruit in this heat.

Joe Pelonio
07-24-2006, 1:44 PM
I'm with you on this, but we're not there yet. The tomato plants are loaded but all green so far. At my Mom's this weekend the huge garden I planted for them Mother's day weekend was amazing, tons of cucumbers, zuccini, cabage, peas, beans cauliflower, artichokes and more. They've been eating stuff for weeks now. Amazing what a difference being in the rain shadow makes. I just have too many trees shading the yard and too many overcast days (until last week anyway). I brought back plenty of theirs for us to eat though.

Bruce Volden
07-24-2006, 2:53 PM
Now you mix those home grown tomatoes with some fresh zuchinni, bell peppers, jalapeno peppers, a little eggplant, an onion, and a few carrots and you chop it all together and sit a big hand turned bowl of that stuff next to a bigger hand turned bowl tortilla chips and you get a little taste of what heaven is going to be like.

DON'T (please) forget the thick sliced bacon, and some lettuce on toasted whole wheat with a slathering of Miracle Whip~~~well, as long as we're talking about heaven and all.........

Bruce

Mark Rios
07-24-2006, 2:56 PM
I think you guys got lucky on the timing and temperature: everybody here is complaining because their tomato plants won't throw fruit in this heat.

GOSHDANGIT!!!.........I hate it when those stinkin' fruits and vegatables get a mind of their own and think that they know better than we do when they should or shouldn't grow. Makes me want to go out and invite some snails over.

:D :D :D

Bob Childress
07-24-2006, 3:29 PM
Bruce, be quiet!! You're making me very hungry.:)

Yesterday, we harvested these. Roma, Beefsteak and whatever the yellow ones are but I love 'em. Plenty more still coming. Okra too, and peppers and squash. We are freezing a good bit against the winter.:D

John Bailey
07-24-2006, 4:05 PM
There just starting in Northern Michigan too. I've got a couple tomatoes that will turn red for this weekend.

John

Ian Barley
07-24-2006, 4:29 PM
I hace some "tumbler" in a hanging basket outside the front of my shop. The first few are gonna go fully red and ripe in the next day or two. There is nothing in the world sweeter than a just picked tomato, picked a moment ago, placed whole in your mouth and crushed between your tongue and the roof of your mouth.

Joe Pelonio
07-24-2006, 4:38 PM
My biggest tomato is about baseball size but no color yet. I heard something interesting the other day. If you leave the first one to ripen on the vine, as tempting as it may be, until it's nearly rotten, the others will ripen faster. Apparently it gives off a gas that helps the others. Someone please try it and report back. That big boy is going under the knife as soon as it's red.

Robert Mickley
07-24-2006, 9:40 PM
I had cherry tomatos today, and My peach and amish paste tomatos are just loaded down!!!!

Peas didn't do worth a hoot but the wife picked about 1/2 of a 5 galln bucket of yellow beans today. My dry beans, Great northern, kidney, Red Mexican, Black coco and the jacobs cattle are just loaded down big time.

Peppers are starting to come on, probably have 30 out of 70 plants that have peppers ont them all ready some of them will be ready in a few weeks.

Potatos are going gang busters, the early row has 3 feet of mulch around them.

Zuchinni, yellow squash, Broccilol, egg plant and cukes we have been eating for weeks now.

First crop of carrots are done we pulled them today, probably got 10 pounds, the second crop gets transplanted next week. Been through 4 plantings of radishes all ready

Joe Pelonio
07-25-2006, 8:13 AM
Must be nice to have a long growing season. Here we can't put out plants until early may, and may get the first frost in October.

Tyler Howell
07-25-2006, 8:24 AM
"Only 2 things money can't buy, That's true love and home grown tomatoes" (Guy Clark):D

Tyler Howell
07-25-2006, 8:26 AM
I hace some "tumbler" in a hanging basket outside the front of my shop. The first few are gonna go fully red and ripe in the next day or two. There is nothing in the world sweeter than a just picked tomato, picked a moment ago, placed whole in your mouth and crushed between your tongue and the roof of your mouth.
Juice squirting out your ears is great too:D

Curt Harms
07-25-2006, 10:46 AM
Now you mix those home grown tomatoes with some fresh zuchinni, bell peppers, jalapeno peppers, a little eggplant, an onion, and a few carrots and you chop it all together and sit a big hand turned bowl of that stuff next to a bigger hand turned bowl tortilla chips and you get a little taste of what heaven is going to be like. You can stir a little into your scrambled eggs, spred some over top of a grilled burger or a piece of grilled chicken, you could even mix some into a plate of grits and make those go down with ease.

I'm telling you, when the home grown tomatoes start coming on that's when it all comes together!

I'M DROOLING!!!:D

Curt

skip coyne
07-25-2006, 10:52 AM
last tomato here was in mid april , we did get a few strawberrys up untill early june.

not much will grow here now untill early oct . evan the herbs are dying back.

the vegetable crops thrive here in the winter , summers are just to hot