PDA

View Full Version : Laserpro print driver Q

Mitchell Andrus
07-24-2006, 9:27 AM
I'm having a little trouble getting "pen settings" to stick to files. To vector cut (for example), I set the red pen to Vector, air, and set the power, speed, etc., and turn all other colors "off".

I know I can save this set of parameters in a file, and do so. I click "apply" to get these settings 'stuck' to the current file and the laser performs swell. No problem.

I find that the next time I open these files, some files held onto the settings, some didn't, and sometimes, even if I select a saved set of parameters and try to 'apply' them, the print file ignors me and I have to set everything manually in the 'pen' tab dialog box, as if it wasn't possible to save anything at all.

Any ideas? Or is this always a hit-or-miss thing?

Thanks, Mitch

George M. Perzel
07-24-2006, 10:13 AM
Hi Mitch;
Not quite sure I understand you right. The print settings for the Laserpro drivers are independent of the cdr file- wish there was a way to associate them with the file. Your driver settings can be saved as a .mer file to which you can assign a name. When you want to reuse the setting you "load" them in the driver dialog-using "apply" will associate them with the file which is open as long as it remains open.
I have had some issues where loading a setting file causes some of the parameters (speed, raster, advance) to change-always have to double check before lasering. Double clicking on a .mer file will sometimes load it fine-sometimes not. Hope this helps.
George

Mitchell Andrus
07-24-2006, 10:32 AM
Yea, that's the problem. I'd like to be able to get the 'pen' settings to stick to the file being printed, so I don't have to re-set those each time.

Also, do you store files on the laser itself? I got the 'Smart memory' option, but haven't yet fiddled with it.

Mitch

George M. Perzel
07-24-2006, 1:30 PM
Hi Mitch;
In order to save the print settings as part of the file, CorelDraw would need to have the capability to store the parameters. I know one of the beta testers for X3 would love this option and may have suggested it to Corel for the next version. I'm not sure what would have to be done to integrate them, but sense that it's not something simple.
I'm not sure what the smart memory option is or what is does. My files are stored in the laser as I print them, but are deleted when the unit is shut off. I think the Explorer has the ability to keep some in memory.
george

Mike Null
07-24-2006, 2:03 PM
Revision:
When I had a universal I was able to store my settings in My Docs/CorelDraw art as .las files. When I clicked on print, properties I could load the settings I wanted from the .las files stored in my corel draw art folder where my customer art files resided.

I do not mean to imply that this is a corel folder; it is a windows file folder.

Rodne Gold
07-24-2006, 7:08 PM
All you do is load the saved parameters and print , whatever you have saved in the mer or EXP file will apply to that job. The driver does not apply stuff willy nilly , you should have no problems at all with settings going amiss unless you resave the particular mer or exp file.
Your smart memory will enable you to store jobs with all their relevant parameters when the machine is switched off , so if there is a particular job you run often , you can store it and run it from that. Smart memory is useful if you have banks of lasers doing the same thing and dont want to hook em all up to puters.
We always write notes in our files as to what materials we used for a job , customer names , keywords etc , this is available in corel under the options when asking it to save , you can write down the settings there or the saved mer file name there too. alternatively , you can do it in the drawing. If you save info in "notes" , you can view it by clicking on document info in corel.
If you had an explorer , the parameter files (EXP) files are text and you could actually generate one from some text based application like an embeded spread sheet or doc file , but I don't see how this can be easier than just loading one.

Mitchell Andrus
07-25-2006, 10:10 AM
I realize now that the 'default' settings were being applied as if everything was a vector cut.

<learning curve - Sheesh!>

Mitch