PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum Pumps....

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
07-24-2006, 9:27 AM
Well, I'm looking at getting myself further into things via a Vacuum chuck.

I know I can make the chuck part, but the pump is something I'll have to buy.....

Now remember that I'm in Japan.....

.............is this the kind of thing I'm looking for?

$170 here in Japan.

Cheers!

George Conklin
07-24-2006, 9:45 AM
Stu continues to fall farther and farther and farther into the abyss;) .

The vac is truly a nice piece for doing bottom work. You'll be happy you made the plunge.

07-24-2006, 9:57 AM
Stu continues to fall farther and farther and farther into the abyss;) .

The vac is truly a nice piece for doing bottom work. You'll be happy you made the plunge.

I guess I could partly blame you, but that would have to be after I thank you again! :D

Yeah, the Vac chuck just makes so much sense to me, I'll build one at some point.

One the Modified Stand (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=39905&page=4) is done, then it will be on to a Hollowing Rig.....:rolleyes:

Charlie Hans
07-24-2006, 10:29 AM
Yep Stu that be the one, or at least one like it. You will be glad that you invested in the Vacuum system for your lathe.
I also use my pump for template routing on my router table when I have multiple pieces to shape. I use a template to shape the top and bottom of pen boxes that I make and it really works like a charm.
Charlie

tod evans
07-24-2006, 10:44 AM
stu, 1cfm is going to be small for use on a lathe, especially knowing you`re going to get leakage around the piece. see if you can find a piston pump that`ll deliver at least 2-3cfm....02 tod

Cecil Arnold
07-24-2006, 11:19 AM
Being a slave to the imperial system I'm not sure how much vacuum 1 Pa is, but you should be able to pull at least 20 inches of vacuum and 23-25 is better. Just don't go too thin, I've seen the bottom of a thin bowl get sucked in.

07-24-2006, 11:20 AM
stu, 1cfm is going to be small for use on a lathe, especially knowing you`re going to get leakage around the piece. see if you can find a piston pump that`ll deliver at least 2-3cfm....02 tod

Thanks Tod, that is the info I'm looking for!

Cheers!

Brad Schmid
07-24-2006, 11:33 AM
Stu,

Below are the specs on the Gast I'm using. Many others here at SMC are using this same one. The key is at what vacuum it is flowing 1cfm. The pump you show I'm assuming has 1 cfm@ 10Pa (??) which I think would equate to 1 cfm @ .003 "Hg max. (if I did the conversion right). I guess that means it flows 1 cfm with nothing attached. That seems not enough when compared to the specs below.

This is the site I used to do the conversion:
http://unit-converter.org/index.php?u_id=13

Gast 1/4 HP Rotary Compressor Vacuum Pump
• New GAST 0523. Direct drive, oil-less, rotary vane vacuum pump. Motor is thermally protected and will restart automatically after the coils cool.
SPECIFICATIONS
• HP 1/4
• Voltage 220 AC
• Amps 1.5
• RPM 1725
• 4.5 CFM at 0 PSI
• 3.6 CFM at 10 PSI cont.
• PSI 15 int.
• 0.5 CFM at 26" Hg max.
• Ports 1/4" NPT
• Duty continuous
• Thermal protection on motor
• Size 5 5/8" x 13 1/4" x 6"
• Shpg. 31 lbs.

07-24-2006, 11:51 AM
Stu,

Below are the specs on the Gast I'm using. Many others here at SMC are using this same one. The key is at what vacuum it is flowing 1cfm. The pump you show I'm assuming has 1 cfm@ 10Pa (??) which I think would equate to 1 cfm @ .003 "Hg max. (if I did the conversion right). I guess that means it flows 1 cfm with nothing attached. That seems not enough when compared to the specs below.

This is the site I used to do the conversion:
http://unit-converter.org/index.php?u_id=13

Gast 1/4 HP Rotary Compressor Vacuum Pump
• New GAST 0523. Direct drive, oil-less, rotary vane vacuum pump. Motor is thermally protected and will restart automatically after the coils cool.
SPECIFICATIONS
• HP 1/4
• Voltage 220 AC
• Amps 1.5
• RPM 1725
• 4.5 CFM at 0 PSI
• 3.6 CFM at 10 PSI cont.
• PSI 15 int.
• 0.5 CFM at 26" Hg max.
• Ports 1/4" NPT
• Duty continuous
• Thermal protection on motor
• Size 5 5/8" x 13 1/4" x 6"
• Shpg. 31 lbs.

Thanks Brad, great info.

Can these be had on E-bay etc?

Not looking right now, but in the next month or two.

Cheers!

tod evans
07-24-2006, 12:01 PM
stu, the pumps used on concrete core drills are the ticket, try the local rental center or drilling crew the drills usually shoot their wad long before the pumps give up. most use a gast 2 cylinder 3/4 hp motor...02 tod

07-24-2006, 12:06 PM
Thanks Tod, for the amount I'll be using it, I'm sure a good used unit will be fine.

Cheers!

Brad Schmid
07-24-2006, 12:16 PM
Thanks Brad, great info.

Can these be had on E-bay etc?

Not looking right now, but in the next month or two.

Cheers!

Stu,
They can be had on ebay, i'm sure; but many of us have been getting them from Surplus Center. I don't know about shipping to Tokyo though. This link should get you there.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2006072410550904&item=4-1540&catname=

I guess you would need to make sure all the power requirements match up to whatever you have there.
Cheers,
Brad

07-24-2006, 12:42 PM
Stu,
They can be had on ebay, i'm sure; but many of us have been getting them from Surplus Center. I don't know about shipping to Tokyo though. This link should get you there.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2006072410550904&item=4-1540&catname=

I guess you would need to make sure all the power requirements match up to whatever you have there.
Cheers,
Brad

Thanks Brad, I sent them an e-mail about shipping.

The motor is rated at 220, I have 200, but at 50 Hz, so it would turn slower.....a step up transformer sure would add to the cost.....

Cheers!