PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments...

Dennis Peacock
07-24-2006, 8:52 AM
Good Morning Everyone,

I'm on vacation this week.....Imagine that!!!! Me. On Vacation. Who'd-uh thunk it? Well...The BIL, SIL and they're two kids are here with us for the week. So we have a house full. They are great people and I love being around them.

Friday night was working on the computer desk WITH the owner in the shop helping to give me the final placements of keyboards, monitors, cable holes, actual desk layout, and placement in his home. With all these details, I should be able to get a lot done now that I've tossed all this into DeltaCAD (sure wish I could afford Sketchup.)

Saturday was working with Zahid Naqvi on making a wooden handplane and working on the desk some more. Then the LOML was tired of my turning stock being out in the yard next to the shop, so I fired up the Stihl and commenced to wacking the pecan I had sitting out there. Well, I put up about 30 Pecan turning blanks, anchorsealed and ready for turning down the road a bit.

Sunday was playing bass at church again, family time, and in the bed after a very long day.

I'm off this week, will be visiting with the BIL and SIL and maybe plan a trip up to Mount Magazine (highest point and park in the state of Arkansas). Most of all? I'm just so HAPPY to NOT be at WORK!!!!!!

So what did YOU do this weekend?????

Best of weeks to you all.!!!!!

Ken Fitzgerald
07-24-2006, 9:02 AM
Dennis..........Why haven't you downloaded the free version of Sketchup now available?

Saturday..........Grocery shopping, laundry (pay attentin Karl), general housework..........temps in the 100s.....too hot to work outside....

Sunday......spent the day turning a pecan NE and getting the first coat of danish oil on it.

Dennis Peacock
07-24-2006, 9:18 AM
Dennis..........Why haven't you downloaded the free version of Sketchup now available?

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????? I'll be right back. ;)

Steve Roxberg
07-24-2006, 9:41 AM
Here is the link, it Google Sketchup which is a limited version. I'm not missing anything from the version I'm using that I miss.

http://sketchup.google.com/

Karl Laustrup
07-24-2006, 9:42 AM
Busy weekend here. Our youngest son, Matt, brought our grand daughter back from camp Friday. He also brought his 3 kids so we had a full house over the weekend and will have for most of the week.

Did get a chance to get some carpet for the cat house/scratching post and get some of it on before it got to hot to continue.

Played golf Sunday and then watched the British Open and the Pocono race Sunday afternoon. Dale Jr. is not doing to good now. From 3rd in the points to 11th in two weeks. Had to watch Tiger, as he grew up about a mile from us when we lived in Cypress, CA. The first I ever saw him he was 5 and he played at the course where I was a member. Should have given up the game then as he was just about out driving me then.

Have a good week all.

Time is running short Ken. Gotta keep it clean now. ;) :D

Karl

Chuck Trisdale
07-24-2006, 9:52 AM
2 words - Stomach virus: Saturday I was in bed all day... Holy Moly it was bad. Yesterday I was somewhat better, so I did get out to help a neighbor make some cuts on a desk I am helping him with (I am building - he is painting). But Saturday was BAD, and I didnt get anything at all done on my project.

BTW I am downloading the free version of Sketchup. Thanks for the tip.

Bryan Ferguson
07-24-2006, 11:06 AM
Hunted that pesky arbor nut I posted about earlier. I have a feel I'll find it tuesday evening on my front porch in a UPS envelope. Insulated garage ceiling, anf enclosed it.

Don Baer
07-24-2006, 11:13 AM
I finished packing up the shop :( . I'll take the last load to Phoenix on Thr. Now it a matter of cleaning up waiting for escrow to close on Monday or tue of next week and the movers on wed. I do have all of the big machinery already in AZ and set up as a temp shop in my sons garage. So I won't be missing shop time ;) . The new house won't be ready for some time.

So tell me Dennis have you finished downloading the free version of sketchup yet..:D

Terry Hatfield
07-24-2006, 11:23 AM
Dennis,

Vacation????? What is that? :D

I mowed, worked in the garden etc...on Saturday. Went to church...napped...and then went to church again on Sunday. All in all it was a nice weekend. It sure helped that it wasn't 105 degrees!!!!!

t

Bart Leetch
07-24-2006, 11:28 AM
Terry Hatfield who's he where did he come from. Oh Hi ya Terry glad to see you back.

I took some lessons on turning from Bill Grumbine right here in my own shop. Watch the DVD try technique watch the DVD try some more. On this little piece of Sassafras.

It has a little crack that seems to radiate out from the area of the pith. I couldn't see the crack on the face side that is against the face plate so I don't know how deep it goes. Should I try thin liquid CA glue?

JayStPeter
07-24-2006, 11:32 AM
Started some garage shelves last weekend and completed this weekend. Sweated through about 10 t-shirts, but now have a 4'x20'x3'high shelf over the garage door. Cleaned up the garage, then headed for the basement.
I'm starting to lay out the basement for finishing the half that isn't my shop. So, I started to clean that also. Wound up building some more storage for the shop as I have been storing some shop related stuff over there. Just added some shelves to a cabinet so far, but more to come (drawers). Anything to put off the inevitable start of the basement finish project ... which involves plumbing :(

Terry Hatfield
07-24-2006, 11:32 AM
"Terry Hatfield who's he where did he come from. Oh Hi ya Terry glad to see you back."

Thanks Bart. It's good to be seen!!!

t

Jim O'Dell
07-24-2006, 1:42 PM
I did yard work Sat. am, got finished and got lunch before a young couple came over to visit the rescue dogs. I was amazed that the wild child they were interested in was so very good with their kids, the youngest is 8 month and still crawling. Charlie came up to her with a toy, dropped it, then laid down and slowly crawled toward her and gave her a kiss! I would have bet money that he would have pawed her or knocked her over, or otherwise just been too rough.
Spent Sunday morning watching the Tour de France, and Sunday afternoon cutting down an old RAS open stand and installed a Rigid Herc-U-Lift on it in preparation of putting my dads old RAS on it. His has the closed stand and the mobility kit on it stinks. Spent the early evening watching the truck jacker on TV. Wish there had been something else to watch. Oh, I did watch the travelling sprinkler some, it was just about as entertaining. Jim.

Mark Pruitt
07-24-2006, 2:01 PM
Took the day off on Friday and went to Bill Grumbine's place....
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=404048#post404048

...then LOML and I went to church and out to lunch with my MIL, headed home, and arrived in time to put in a couple hours of lathe practice. Great weekend.:)
Mark

Tom Hamilton
07-24-2006, 2:18 PM
A wonderful weekend celebrating Sharon's (wife) 60th birthday. Son, wife and 2 year old came down from Dallas, friends from California and the local family (daughter, husband and three granddaughters were are present for a variety of activities.

Saturday night the adults rode in a limo provided by son to Brennan's in Houston for a wonderful dinner.

Sunday, SIL preached all four services at church and we all sat together as a family to hear him.

Now we are settling back into reality: limited food and beverage intake, household chores and some chill time.

Hope your's was as nice.

Tom, in Houston, heading to the shop ;)

Dave Right
07-24-2006, 3:35 PM
Not much woodworking but.....
drove a NASCAR - Mark Martin's busch car #60 6 laps around Michigan Intl speedway - what fun!

Chip Olson
07-24-2006, 4:23 PM
Took Thursday off (my aforementioned mental health day) and spent most of it in the shop, getting three more cabinets built, including the 45° upper corner cabinet, which is by far the most complicated of the lot. Determined that my miter gauge is a piece of junk (or rather, the standard miter gauge design is a piece of junk); one of the 45° stops was a degree of two off and correcting it was an incredible pain in the neck. The Incra miter gauge I have my eye on just moved up the priority list.

Saturday I built the base corner cabinet. Only one left is the sink cabinet, which I was hoping to do yesterday, but didn't get the time. Did get to the orange box for drawer lumber, though. Had the kidlet with me, so I had a shopping cart for him and a lumber cart for the lumber. Next time I take him lumber-shopping I'm bringing the backpack.

This has been one of the more rewarding phases of the project. I love watching the plans I spent so much time making transmute themselves into 3D reality beneath my hands.

Jim Becker
07-24-2006, 9:50 PM
The family vacation ended on Saturday after a nice time at Five Barns...including meeting the inimitable Tyler Howell. :D :D :D Sunday was spent laboring to get some "disturbed soil" areas due to our driveway project contoured, seeded and mulched to avoid problems with the state soil conservation folks that the township conveniently forgot to make mention of when they reviewed and approved the (detailed) plans in March... :( Fortunately, most of the real work was done with a big, orange, diesel motivated, power tool...but I'm still sore from raking, etc.) Of course, now I need to get the mower deck back on the machine when I return home from Miami on Wednesday to get the field, err...lawn...back down to 3.5" or so...

Tyler Howell
07-24-2006, 10:07 PM
Five Barns,
What a great time!
Lots of hand tool work at Daughter's place:eek: .
We went to Cirque Du Soleil in Philly yesterday:cool: .
Always a treat.

Larry Fox
07-24-2006, 11:28 PM
Went to Hearne Hardwoods on Saturday and my truck broke down on the way home.

Sunday: Ruined a $50.00 piece of perfectly good Cherry. :(

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=40176

Sunday Evening: Took my oldest son (4 1/2) to his first pro baseball game. :)