PDA

View Full Version : Put Together By Hand

Raymond Stanley
07-23-2006, 11:09 PM
Yet another newbie question from your resident pesky newbie.
Does anybody have any recommendations on how to figure out how things are put together with hand tools only?
I've seen some peices I like, but can't figure out how the darned things were put together (i.e., joints).
I'm interested in the "hand tools only" part because thats all I have, and all the type I will be able to acquire for quite some time (live in a 2nd floor condo, but am determined to work wood).
Books? Telltale signs of certain joints?
Most of the plans I've seen in modern woodworking magazines have biscuits and the like...
Thanks!
Ray

John Kempkes
07-23-2006, 11:20 PM
Buy or look at the library for Tage Frid's books, he has 3, one is on basic jointmaking. Once you've seen how these joints are made, you'll have a better idea when you see one of what they used.

Deirdre Saoirse Moen
07-23-2006, 11:34 PM
In addition to Frid's book, "Success with Joints" by Ralph Laughton is a wonderful book (all about hand tool techniques). I'd also recommend David Charlesworth's books, though none of his videos cover joinery.

For other videos of note: Frank Klausz and Rob Cosman both have videos on joinery using hand tools.

Alan DuBoff
07-24-2006, 3:02 AM
In addition to Frid's book, "Success with Joints" by Ralph Laughton is a wonderful book (all about hand tool techniques).This is a great book, especially for folks who have never ventured into hand cut joinery before. Lots us pics and good technique for the most part, I like this book a lot. Got it for Xmas from my kids.

Also a great book that you will need to pay through the nose for, but I was willing, is a book that was reccomended by Chris Schwartz, it's out of print so you would need to track it down on the used book market, I paid about $35-$40 for mine. "Woodwork Joints", by Charles Hayward (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0237447657/sr=1-3/qid=1153723063/ref=sr_1_3/102-1597801-7780957?ie=UTF8&s=books), but you'll need to track that one if you want to find it, none are available on the used bookstores that associate with Amazon, which is quite a few.

Dan Forman
07-24-2006, 5:37 AM
Another good book for hand tool use and joinery is "The Complete Woodworker" edited by Bernard E Jones. It's out of print too, but usually available used through Amazon. Amazon lists it as available new with delivery of 2-5 weeks, but that has been going on now for months. The publisher plans another printing sometime, but right now it's only available used, and for a very reasonable sum ($7-11). http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/1580080154/sr=1-1/qid=1153732426/ref=sr_1_1/102-2346258-4899325?ie=UTF8&s=books

Dan

George Sanders
07-24-2006, 8:10 AM
To find good out of print books go to Alibris.com and Bookfinder.com. The prices vary considerably by dealer, location and condition.

James Mittlefehldt
07-24-2006, 8:32 AM
There are a lot of excelent books from Taunton press, you could check their site, or go to Lee Valley, and look under books they have an extensive list.

From a personal point of view a book that was an invaluble aid to me when I started this whole woodworking lark, I wanted to use hand tools from the get go, was The Stanley Book Of Woodworking Tools, Techniques, And Projects by Mark Finney published by Betterway Books, and it is available from Amazon as we speak.

Don't be put off by the fact that Stanley is in the name. The author addresses hand tool and only hand tool use and covers most basic skills needed and the tools to do it, and how to do it with hand tools. He starts with a basic list of required tools, and discussions of techniques, and then offers a number of projects with measured drawings that employ the previous tools and techniques.

Obviously you can take the Stanley tools recomendations with a grain of salt, but for basic hand tool stuff this book is hard to top. I still refer to it occasionally, but less so since finding Sawmill Creek.

Alan DuBoff
07-24-2006, 8:33 AM
To find good out of print books go to Alibris.com and Bookfinder.com. The prices vary considerably by dealer, location and condition.Nice, I see a bunch of Hayward's book on there starting at about $32, about the bottom price you'll typically find it for.

It's a book that sold for $4.95 on the cover of the book originally. It is a great book, although I would like to see something modern that had excellent pics, which the Laughton book provides, but the Hayward book has most all joints that you would ever want to cut.

Don't forget the Joyce book, Encyclopedia of Woodworking or similar, it's a good one also, but a lot of folks don't care for the way it's written, it's a very useful book.

Mike Williams
07-24-2006, 3:21 PM
There also was an article in FWW # 53 titled 'Measuring Antiques' that would give some good hints on how furniture joints were made.

Raymond Stanley
07-25-2006, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the feedback everybody! I'll check'em out!