PDA

View Full Version : Regulator Bleed

Jerry Solomon
09-25-2003, 1:09 PM
I noticed that there is a bleed hole on the regulator on my air compressor. Further I noted that there is always a small flow of air coming out of this hole. This causes the compressor to cycle on and off every 5 minutes or so even when I am not using air. Is this normal or is there something faulty in the regulator?

Dave Richards
09-25-2003, 1:30 PM
It isn't right. Could be one of a couple of things. First, it could be a slit in the diaphragm because the diaphragm is old and dried out or (we had this last week on a patient transport cart) the screw that holds the diaphragm to the stem could be loose aloowing air to leak through. The second one is easier to fix than the first. If it's the first, just replace the regulator.

Lee Schierer
09-25-2003, 1:36 PM
Some regulators do that to maintian their pressure. Otherwise they will creep up if there is no air flow at all.

Gene Collison
09-25-2003, 2:01 PM
Some regulators do that to maintian their pressure. Otherwise they will creep up if there is no air flow at all.

Lee,

That would be a real safety issue if regulators leaked, eg. hydrogen, propane, acetylene etc. and more. Explosive atmospheres, toxic gases etc. The bleed hole in the back of a regulator is to take pressure off of the backside of the diaphragm. Virtually all single stage regulators will creep, it's in the design, an unnecessary evil if you will. Two stage regulators will not creep at all. He has a leak in the diaphragm, that's what's causing the compressor to recycle and air flow out of the bleed hole. Fix is to replace the reg or rebuild it.

Gene, an ex regulator salesman for 40 years! LOL

Jerry Solomon
09-25-2003, 2:23 PM
Thanks for the help. The regulator is pretty old (20 years maybe). I'll see what a new one costs.

Lee Schierer
09-26-2003, 8:44 AM
Gas regulators and air regulators are different. Some air regulators do relieve pressure to stay adjusted. We use them all teh time on our machines. Pressure relieving regulators work the same way.

Gene Collison
09-26-2003, 11:58 AM
[ Pressure relieving regulators work the same way.[/QUOTE]

I think your talking applications not design. How are air and gas regulators different? Air is gas.

Gene

Jason Roehl
09-26-2003, 6:33 PM
This is going off on a slight tangent, but here's my question. I have a small 3hp(claimed)/4gal P-C compressor whose regulator creeps and is generally finicky. Is there a regulator out there with which I could replace it, say, one of those aforemetioned 2-stage regulators to eliminate the guesswork and the creep? Thanks.

Gene Collison
09-26-2003, 8:20 PM
This is going off on a slight tangent, but here's my question. I have a small 3hp(claimed)/4gal P-C compressor whose regulator creeps and is generally finicky. Is there a regulator out there with which I could replace it, say, one of those aforemetioned 2-stage regulators to eliminate the guesswork and the creep? Thanks.

Hi Jason,

Two stage regulators typically cost over $100.00, probably more than your willing to spend, I don't know. I assume this is for a nailer application considering the size of the tank. Here's what I do, I have a Sears compressor about 25 years old with a 20 gallon tank. I set the pressure so that it kicks off at 100 PSI, it kicks on at 80. I removed the regulator and work straight off of the tank, the 20 psi spread doesn't seem to affect my nailers much. I installed quick disconnects on the regulator, when I want to reduce the pressure say for spraying, I connect it to the compressor and my hose on to the reg. The main problem with regulators on an air compressor is water in the tank, the regulators corrode. So you might want to consider narrowing the pressure cycle and getting rid of the reg. Also, its good to drain the tank often.

Gene

Dave Richards
09-30-2003, 8:24 AM
Hey Jerry, I want to know what you found inside your regulator. Was it a rotted diaphragm or a loose screw or both?

Dave

Jerry Solomon
09-30-2003, 10:00 AM
Dave - I took the easy way out. I bought a new regulator. The old one got pitched. In hindsight, I wish I had dismantled it to see what was causing the leak. It was purchased at Sears and was about 25 years old so I guess I got my money's worth.