PDA

View Full Version : Small scraper tip.....

Mark Singer
07-23-2006, 6:52 PM
Sometimes it is difficult to use a card scraper because the piece is assembled and you need to detail a small area...
2 tips....first use the edge of a scraper and draw a burr the same way...that is about 2" or so wide.

2nd tip is wrap some duct tape around a utility knife blade...it will work well as a scarper or a knife....removes glue...scratches etc..
It is a great cheap tool!

Mike Wenzloff
07-23-2006, 7:02 PM
Hi Mark--great tips.

I also use inexpensive chisels, narrow plane blades, etc. as scrapers for hard to get areas.

Another tip I might add is taking some of those yard-sale chisels to grind profiles into for molding scrapers...as well, I have heated chisels to the point of being easy to bend to an angle of about 80 degrees, with the chisel back being the inside part of the bend, reheating to or just past cherry red and quencing. A slow heat again to temper. You now have a custom, handled scraper. You can also introduce an offset to the shaft and have clearance for reaching into drawer corners, etc.

Take care, Mike

Deirdre Saoirse Moen
07-23-2006, 7:05 PM
Here's my goto small scraper, converted from a broken 192:

http://i12.ebayimg.com/04/i/06/ec/23/8b_12.JPG

It has an "age-appropriate" cutter, but I also have a cheap one I use for other stuff.

Mark Singer
07-23-2006, 8:10 PM
Hi Mark--great tips.

I also use inexpensive chisels, narrow plane blades, etc. as scrapers for hard to get areas.

Another tip I might add is taking some of those yard-sale chisels to grind profiles into for molding scrapers...as well, I have heated chisels to the point of being easy to bend to an angle of about 80 degrees, with the chisel back being the inside part of the bend, reheating to or just past cherry red and quencing. A slow heat again to temper. You now have a custom, handled scraper. You can also introduce an offset to the shaft and have clearance for reaching into drawer corners, etc.

Take care, Mike

Mike,
I do that to...I grind a couple of chisels at 80 degrees or so for getting in corners

Mark Singer
07-23-2006, 8:11 PM
Here's my goto small scraper, converted from a broken 192:

http://i12.ebayimg.com/04/i/06/ec/23/8b_12.JPG

It has an "age-appropriate" cutter, but I also have a cheap one I use for other stuff.

That is what I call a chisel plane

Alan Turner
07-23-2006, 8:58 PM
Mark,
Yup to the smaller scrapers. And, for the lazy, LV sells a set of 3 1" x 2" scrapers for about $3. Or some old bandsaw blade stock, filed and burnished.

Maurice Metzger
07-23-2006, 9:16 PM
Mark, thanks for the tip, I'll try those.

BTW a tip you posted a while ago about holding a dovetail saw loosely made a world of differences in my dovetails. With a loose hold if I'm letting the blade get out of alignment the blade will bind. Instant feedback.

Maurice

Deirdre Saoirse Moen
07-23-2006, 10:26 PM
Yeah, it really is a chisel plane, but I use it for removing glue and a number of things one might typically use a scraper for.

It's more comfy than most chisel planes, too.