PDA

View Full Version : Hey Ernie Nyvall..................

Ken Fitzgerald
07-23-2006, 4:40 PM
Is there any chance there is some spalting in that piece of pecan you sent me? 2nd question.....Is there any chance there's some concrete in that same piece?:D ..........That's the heaviest piece of wood I've worked with to date. I've got the outside finished sanded and it's going to be gorgeous when I get some finish on it. I wrapped it in plastic long enough to come in and get a sandwich. It's approaching 100 F outside but my shop is running about 17 degrees cooler. I want that thing done and I want to get the first coat of finish on it this afternoon.

Thanks again!

Forrest Price
07-23-2006, 4:58 PM
Ken, don't over do it! It's well over 100 now. In fact, it IS 100 in my shop. Ick...Way too hot for anything, especially sweating over a lathe!

This is me...hiding inside with the AC set on Cryogenics!

Forrest

Christopher K. Hartley
07-23-2006, 5:20 PM
Oh no Ernie! You didn't send him the piece with that grew around that hunk of rock did you? You promised not to pull that trick on anyone.:o

Ken Fitzgerald
07-23-2006, 6:21 PM
Forrest..........It's well over 105 outside but only 88 in my shop as of 5 minutes ago. Tell me insulation and housewrap don't make a difference! I've got all the doors and windows closed in there and it's 17 degrees cooler! That piece of pecan sure is pretty. I'm just finishing it up and then slop on some danish oil. First time using danish oil.....wish me luck! Came in to cool off and get some fluids. Back at it! It's all these Creekers fault. If you call and I don't answer the phone Forrest.....you'll probably find my dead body laying over my lathe............With a smile on my face of course!:D

Karl Laustrup
07-23-2006, 6:46 PM
Get back in the house and do the laundry and dishes.

And vacuum while you're at it.
:D :D :D :D :D :D

Karl

Ken Fitzgerald
07-23-2006, 8:08 PM
Karl...........You sorry Rascal!

Ken Fitzgerald
07-24-2006, 12:54 AM
Ernie............I finished that NE from that piece of pecan. I found out another definition for NE........kNuckle Eater! It turned out nice. It'll take me a couple of days to get the finish on it. The bark started coming lose just as I was finish sanding it, so I broke out the Super Glue. I then sanded and the super glue held the bark on. I put on a coat of danish oil. I"ve not used that before. We'll see how this goes.....Thanks again Ernie....that's one pretty piece of wood. When the LOML returns next week I'll post some photos.

Barry Stratton
07-24-2006, 3:12 AM
Can't wait to see it Ken. Mine's in the DNA bath and must have came from close to yours....really hard. Nothing like the butter smooth pieces I did earlier.......

Ernie Nyvall
07-25-2006, 6:17 PM
Sorry for the late reply Ken, but I've been out of town. I don't remember any spalting in that piece. It was from the fresh green part of the tree. Glad you could use it. You certainly are bringing it to a finish in a hurry. Let us know if it warps.

Ernie

Ken Fitzgerald
07-25-2006, 10:44 PM
Ernie...........That's one of the reasons I turned it green and immediately started applying a finish. I want to see if it'll warp and if so how much? I've been applying danish oil to it lightly since Sunday evening.

I elected to leave the walls of the bowl a little thick ...about 3/8-1/2". As it was starting to get near the thickness where I start taking really light cuts, I noticed a vibration. I stopped and a very large portion of the bark was trying to break free. I used super glue and glued it and then went a little thinner and decided to stop. I wanted the bark intact more than I wanted thin walls. It's starting to really look pretty as the danish oil performs it's magic. I've not used danish oil before. We'll see if I use it again based on the outcome of this bowl.

Thanks again for the wood Ernie!