PDA

View Full Version : OT Windows XP networking headache....

Chuck Wintle
07-23-2006, 8:36 AM
I need help with networking in winxp because it is not working properly(like it did once) and the more I mess with it the uglier it seems to get.
What I have are 2 computers connected back to back via a network crossover cable. My modem is an internal dsl modem that completes the connection to the internet.

/Rant on/ I wish to high heavens that Microsoft could make their products straightforward and easy to use. Its complicated for no reason!
/Rant off/

OK the problem. If for some reason I disconnect the network cable the modem disconnects and then reconnects after 60 seconds. I have no idea why that should happen. :(

Curt Harms
07-23-2006, 2:01 PM
I need help with networking in winxp because it is not working properly(like it did once) and the more I mess with it the uglier it seems to get.
What I have are 2 computers connected back to back via a network crossover cable. My modem is an internal dsl modem that completes the connection to the internet.

/Rant on/ I wish to high heavens that Microsoft could make their products straightforward and easy to use. Its complicated for no reason!
/Rant off/

OK the problem. If for some reason I disconnect the network cable the modem disconnects and then reconnects after 60 seconds. I have no idea why that should happen. :(

Hi Charles,

I don't know what to do about your problem, but for me I just bought a router. A decent router adds another roadblock for the bad guys and makes connecting multiple computers to the internet a no-brainer. A wireless router does require some knowledge to make it reasonably secure, but I have mine pretty secure according to Steve Gibson's Sheilds Up! and I'm no networking genius (or any other type genius for that matter:o ) I wish I could help with your problem.

Curt

skip coyne
07-23-2006, 2:58 PM
Why are you disconnecting the cable ?

what am I missing , everything is up and working , you disconnect the cable , the modem resets then reconnects ?

whats the problem ?

like Charles said , buy a router , they are cheap these days , I buy them here for $39.00 . It will pretty much do the networking for you .

For what its worth XP is a snap to network compared to '98 and '95 , networking is complex XP makes it less so .

Chuck Wintle
07-24-2006, 6:05 AM
Why are you disconnecting the cable ?

what am I missing , everything is up and working , you disconnect the cable , the modem resets then reconnects ?

whats the problem ?

like Charles said , buy a router , they are cheap these days , I buy them here for $39.00 . It will pretty much do the networking for you .

For what its worth XP is a snap to network compared to '98 and '95 , networking is complex XP makes it less so .
Skip,
The reason for disconnecting the cable(at the second computer) is so my kids could connect their laptops to the cable and connect to the internet through this computer. Up to now it was working fine but now, all of a sudden, its decided to act up, and the more I have messed with "network setup wizard" the less near I find myself getting it all back to normal. :confused:

John Miliunas
07-24-2006, 7:58 AM
Charles, just for the heck of it, try disconnecting the second computer for 10 seconds or so and then reconnecting the same one. If you're not losing your modem connection, then I'd be prone to say it's some weirdness happening at your kid's laptop, which is causing the disconnect. Could be spyware or some funky trojan. :) :cool:

skip coyne
07-24-2006, 8:00 AM
Charles

I have done a lot of networking , I can only recall using the direct method once and that was years ago when routers where still high priced , so I really cant advise you

a router really dose a lot to help simplify the networking , process

other than that you could try posting the issues here http://www.dslreports.com/forums/all

Larry Browning
07-24-2006, 9:39 AM
Charles,
Is there a particular reason you do not have/want a router? After you explained why you wanted to disconnect the cable in the first place, a router makes even more since. If the laptop has wireless capabilities (which you could easily add if it didn't) they could use the laptop all over the house and not have to bother with connecting and disconnecting a cable. If you didn't want to mess with wireless, almost all routers have a minimum of 4 wired network ports so all 3 computers could be wired to the network and share the Internet connection at the same time. Plus, a router is always recommended for use with a broadband connection eve if there is only 1 computer connected. The router provides a very good builtin firewall to the Internet. Believe me Charles, a router IS the solution to your problem. Take a look at what Amazon has to offer. My bet is that you will be able to find a router for $20-$30 and you could probably find a router AND wireless network card for that laptop for less the $50. Save yourself some grief and just get a router, you WILL NOT be sorry.

Chip Charnley
07-24-2006, 10:04 AM
Or watch www.edealinfo.com (http://www.edealinfo.com) for a few days to a couple weeks. I see routers fly by there now and then for $15 or less after rebates.

Chuck Wintle
07-24-2006, 2:36 PM
I will be looking at a combination modem/router soon. Too many headaches and questions with my current setup to continue with it. :)

Chris Rosenberger
07-25-2006, 12:38 AM
Charles I just added a broadband router & kept the modem seperate. It works fine.

Russ Filtz
07-25-2006, 7:43 AM
Unless the internal modem has an external jack, you need to get an external modem to get full benefit of the router. I would get a hardware firewall router with VPN capability (even if you don't use it). Still not that expensive. I got a Linksys BEFSX41, $70 at Amazon or $60 at newegg.

Setup would be;
wall jack > DSL modem > Router >> all PCs hooked into router

This way, your PC would benefit from the router firewall too. Not sure how an internal modem would do that, if it even could?

Chuck Wintle
07-25-2006, 9:06 AM
Unless the internal modem has an external jack, you need to get an external modem to get full benefit of the router. I would get a hardware firewall router with VPN capability (even if you don't use it). Still not that expensive. I got a Linksys BEFSX41, $70 at Amazon or $60 at newegg.

Setup would be;
wall jack > DSL modem > Router >> all PCs hooked into router

This way, your PC would benefit from the router firewall too. Not sure how an internal modem would do that, if it even could?
My internal modem can connect to a network but I still would not have the benefit of my computer going through a router.

Don Baer
07-25-2006, 1:19 PM
I have a D Link router. and have had up to 4 machines networked through my cable modem. Piece of cake.

Steven Wilson
07-25-2006, 9:34 PM
I will be looking at a combination modem/router soon. Too many headaches and questions with my current setup to continue with it. :)
Charles, skip the combination and go with separates. When you have broadband connection problems to debug it sometimes helps to connect one machine to the modem directly and bypass the router. The other reason is then you can go with the modem recommended by your broadband provider. When problems occur, and they will, your broadband provider will be a lot more responsive when you're using equipment that they are familiar with and recommend. Besides, sometimes you can get great rebates and the modem will be free. I use a Motorola SurfBoard modem and a Linksys Wireless G Broadband router with two computers and 1 HDTV wired direct and 3 wireless PC's running around the house (I can share DASD with the TV so I can display photos on the 55" plazma from the TV - cool)

Chuck Wintle
07-26-2006, 7:24 AM
I basically have decided to purchase a D-Link DI 604 router and a dsl external modem. From what I have read the 604 is a good basic router suited for home/small office use. The modem will be a gnet model 2060.

Don Baer
07-26-2006, 11:07 AM
I basically have decided to purchase a D-Link DI 604 router and a dsl external modem. From what I have read the 604 is a good basic router suited for home/small office use. The modem will be a gnet model 2060.

Thats the same router i have both hear in California and at my sons house in Arizona.

Chuck Wintle
07-29-2006, 11:24 AM
Well finally I have am setup with a router and external modem. It all seems to work properly and I was able to get rid of zonealarm since the router has a built in firewall. But in messing around with the previous setup I somehow did something to the TCP/IP stack and that will have to be repaired. :D

Question for Don Baer:
In your DI-604 are you able to set the time and date? It seems not to be settable/working on my router although the router seems to work just fine otherwise.:)

Don Baer
07-29-2006, 11:37 AM
Well finally I have am setup with a router and external modem. It all seems to work properly and I was able to get rid of zonealarm since the router has a built in firewall. But in messing around with the previous setup I somehow did something to the TCP/IP stack and that will have to be repaired. :D

Question for Don Baer:
In your DI-604 are you able to set the time and date? It seems not to be settable/working on my router although the router seems to work just fine otherwise.:)

Charles,

yes. Go into your router setup and under tools theres a tab for tools. There is where you set the time and date.