PDA

View Full Version : When you buy sheet goods, do you go through the stack?

Todd Burch
09-25-2003, 11:27 AM
Sometimes I do, and sometimes I don't. I have on occasion found some REALLY interesting grain patterns, and several times found flitch-matched sheets. If I need one sheet, I'll usually just get the first non-scratched (etc) sheet off the top. Other times, I've gone through two units (fork lift loads) to get the required look.

Last night, I went to the local Home Depot to get a piece of pre-primed crown for some cabinets, and when "browsing my way" back to the check out, I noticed some quarter-sawn red oak plywood, sitting in the birch plywood bin. I figured - WOW! Let's have a looksy...

To make a long story short, I snagged 6 sheets of $35 Birch ply and each one has a quarter-sawn red oak back. Guess which side will be the top?!! I realize what I bought - E4 ply, but at $35 for QSRO... it's still a deal.

Here's an example:

Ted Shrader
09-25-2003, 11:36 AM
Todd -

Nice find in the browse back to the front.

To answer your question, I do search through at least a few sheets eliminating the scratches and other defects. The picking out a few that will be OK. Then from those few, I pick the ones I need looking at grain pattern, color, etc. Generally, if the pile hasn't been shuffled too much, there are several very smilar in appearance - probably from the same tree.

Ted

Don Farr
09-25-2003, 11:48 AM
I almost always dig through the pile Todd. That stuff is to high to pay for a lousy sheet.
I never found a deal like that. I need to start looking harder.

Glenn Clabo
09-25-2003, 12:40 PM
Todd,
I always go through as many sheets as I can. I'm always looking for that "special" one. But I never had this one happen to me.

Makes me wonder how that could have happened. They must have been shifting over to oak veneer and missed a few sides.

Nice save.

Bobby Hatfield
09-25-2003, 12:49 PM
Sometimes I do, and sometimes I don't. I have on occasion found some REALLY interesting grain patterns, and several times found flitch-matched sheets. If I need one sheet, I'll usually just get the first non-scratched (etc) sheet off the top. Other times, I've gone through two units (fork lift loads) to get the required look.

Last night, I went to the local Home Depot to get a piece of pre-primed crown for some cabinets, and when "browsing my way" back to the check out, I noticed some quarter-sawn red oak plywood, sitting in the birch plywood bin. I figured - WOW! Let's have a looksy...

To make a long story short, I snagged 6 sheets of $35 Birch ply and each one has a quarter-sawn red oak back. Guess which side will be the top?!! I realize what I bought - E4 ply, but at $35 for QSRO... it's still a deal.

Here's an example:

Don't even ask me if I have found what looked like 3/4" Mohogany in the 3/4" Luan stack, and this at my cabinet material supplier, where I sometimes load my own and always look it over as its loaded. Of course I am always asked if I need any of this stuff that has bad corners for a song, and I can't carry a tune in a bucket, but I got the truck and charge account.

Glenn Clabo
09-25-2003, 1:26 PM
I was wondering what happened to you Bobby. You got all that new iron and disappeared for a week. Is it up and making dust for those jet engine fans to blow around?

Lynn Sonier
09-25-2003, 2:17 PM
One of the problems I have dealing with places like HD is that you have to go through everyone else's rejects to find something that not too bad. Yes, it saves money.

Bobby Hatfield
09-25-2003, 2:21 PM
I was wondering what happened to you Bobby. You got all that new iron and disappeared for a week. Is it up and making dust for those jet engine fans to blow around?

Yeah Glenn, been working hard ! The fans are off, having a nor-easter here in Arkansas, about to freeze, did warm up yesterday but today is nice, just finished up another set of cabinet doors. The electrician is running conduit today, starting a 14' solid wood, southern maple, butcher block countertop soon to test the new woodmaster drum sander.

Lee Schierer
09-25-2003, 2:26 PM
Good find. Someone must have goofed.

I also go through the stacks to find the better pieces. I feel for the people that come in later and take the top one off the stack.

Charles McKinley
09-26-2003, 11:03 AM
What I hate is when the previous searcher put 10 sheets from the adjcent pile on top of the pile I want to go through! I then have to move it all back so I can move the top sheet that the have all scratched and beat up.

Rant off.