PDA

View Full Version : OT-Glas Block

Jim Cunningham
02-24-2003, 9:00 AM
I have demolished a 48"high by 33" wide knee wall between my toilet and my sunken shower. We have pretty much decided to replaace it with a comparably sized glass block wall. My primary question is how secure will it be considering that it will only be attached to the one wall, and the floor. In talking to someone at the tile store, he pointed out that there are two thicknesses of block--3 & 4 inch. The 4 inch will be much more stable. There are a few things I saw for installation that i am not sure of in terms of importance. There is a vinyl U channel, a metal perforated strip for between courses and a vinyl strip with a slot top and bottom, also for between courses. I plan on using silicone rather than grout for a seamless, more watertight, and hopefully more durable wall.

Your thoughts, experience, and guidance are greatly appreciated.

Joe Suelter
02-24-2003, 1:20 PM
Hi Jim. I used glass block in place of my old coal shute. I used the 3" blocks, and the vinyl channel, with clear silicone holding everything in place. This setup I was a little concerned about, I was intending on using mortar, but I was told silicone is easier, plus 100% waterproof, and these blocks are level with my driveway, so I surely didn't want water runoff seeping into the mortar. I'll tell you that these are very stable, with the channels installed properly, I doubt you could kick these in. They have concrete block under them, and they tie into the sill plate on top. I'm sure your wall will have a little more play in them, as there is a larger area--mine are 3 blocks tall and 4 blocks wide. Good luck with this, I really like the look of glass blocks!