PDA

View Full Version : Resaw Fence for Band Saw

Mike Hill
07-22-2006, 3:58 PM
Does anyone have a plan or know of one on-line to build a re-sawing fence for a band saw??

Mike

Jeffrey Makiel
07-22-2006, 5:48 PM
Mike,
From what I've seen, there are two ways to do this. One way is to add an auxiliary fence onto your existing fence that is taller to accommodate the taller stock. The other is use a tall 'pipe like' attachment to your existing fence. Either way, it is something you add to your existing fence, assuming it is rigid enough.

As for me, I add a taller board to my existing fence for support. The other option (i.e., the pipe) is suppose to help you compensate for blade drift. But I never really had this situation, and I don't like the thought of manually guiding the board along a vertical pipe; too much human error involved.

For me, it all requires an attach-able board to a decent quality fence. Perhaps other will chime-in and enlighten both of us.

cheers, Jeff :)

Steven Evans
07-22-2006, 7:51 PM
I would say it would depend on whether you fence has an adjustment for drift. If you can adj then go with a fence add on board. If you fence is in a fixed position then go for the pipe idea or some variant that allow for blade drift.

Fred Woodward
07-22-2006, 8:44 PM
The "pipe" is a center point and it is positioned centered in the width of the blade or just a bit forward of that. Depends alot on how wide the blade is. This point acts as a pivot point for contact between the wood and the fence.
It works well for compensating for drift.
I have a Kreg fence and use an auxillary fence with it for taller re-saws.
I have one of the center points for the Kreg fence but never use it. Adjust the fence for drift and the resawing goes easily. That's my experience with a 14" Rikon and 6" resaw capacity.

I just got a new MM16 :D and have not got it set up yet but I'm pretty sure it will work the same way and even better. Still plan to use an auxillary fence for the tall re-saws.

Pete Bradley
07-23-2006, 12:24 AM
I made one out of MDF. Two 6" (or whatever dimension you want) strips slightly longer than the table joined at a 90 degree angle. I screwed the two pieces together, then clamped it down and epoxied in triangular braces to hold it at exactly 90. It was tedious to get just right, but it has lasted a long time.

Dan Forman
07-23-2006, 3:24 AM
Here is a link to a nice one that Paul Cresti posted a while ago. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=33070

Mike Hill
07-23-2006, 9:10 AM
Thanks to all who replied. My Bandsaw is a Rikon 14". The fence is adjustable for drift, so I think adding a higher fence will work for me. Got some good ideas from the link to the examples of a fence system pictured here on SMC. Again, thanks to all for the help.
Mike