PDA

View Full Version : cordless drill chargers

Mike Evertsen
09-25-2003, 1:11 AM
I 'm having to replace my cordless drills my 5 year ago 12v. and my 7 year old 16.8 both have bad chargers and the 16.8 the batterys won't charge with a new charger I bought,,,I geuss I got my use out of them,,
what my question is how do you shut off the charger when it's done charger?
what I've done in the past is when I remember to unplug it sometimes hours sometimes days,,,what I'm trying now is using a timer with two movable trips I took out the one that turns it on and move the other one to shut off the charger after 5 hours or 1 hour depending which cordless drill I'm charging,,,
this seems to work ok but I thought maybe someone might have another way,,,,

Jason Roehl
09-25-2003, 7:59 AM
Mike, any good charger today should be microprocessor-controlled, and leaving it plugged in for long periods of time should not be an issue, as it will automatically cycle to maintain a full charge on the battery. That being said, I'm not a big fan of leaving things like that plugged in for very long when I'm not around (the ol' fire hazard thingy), so if it needs to be fully charged, I usually won't leave mine plugged in longer than overnight.

Tony Falotico
09-25-2003, 9:09 PM
I 'm having to replace my cordless drills my 5 year ago 12v. and my 7 year old 16.8 both have bad chargers and the 16.8 the batterys won't charge with a new charger I bought,,,I geuss I got my use out of them,,[/font]

Mike, if the drills are still good and you like them, check out http://www.primecell.com/ to have your batteries rebuilt. I sent four off to them earlier this month (two of mine, two of my buddy's) and they seem to be doing very well with new cells in them.

David Rose
09-26-2003, 12:59 AM
Mike, I just picked up a rechargable Milwaukee Sawzall. (stealth gloat... I hope/think :rolleyes:) The charger instructions with it recommend leaving it plugged in and a battery in it all the time. It is suppose to have a low trickle charge that will best maintain the battery. I won't do on purpose, but if I do it by accident now I won't worry. My Makita drill charger is also the "new breed" and it doesn't say to do that.

Maybe the manufacturer can tell you about their specific unit.

David