PDA

View Full Version : Weed Identification?

Art Davis
07-22-2006, 1:01 PM
Can someone help in identifying this weed?
Is it:
a. crabgrass
b. bermuda grass
c. something else?

This thing has taken over my lawn and it drinks Ortho crabgrass killer and asks for more. I'm afraid that it is going to turn into the "creature that et Chicago" if I don't do something. What do you think?

Art

Brian Hale
07-22-2006, 4:01 PM
Does it get little blue flowers?

Brian :)

Dennis Peacock
07-22-2006, 4:04 PM
Art,

That looks like crabgrass to me. Maybe a little boiled crab for dinner? :p :rolleyes:

Frankie Hunt
07-22-2006, 5:03 PM
Looks like crab grass to me also. It sends out long underground shoots that spring up. It's heck to get out of flower beds. When removing by hand you must get the underground shoots when you pull it up, or else you are just wasting your time.

Joe Mioux
07-22-2006, 5:47 PM
It's crabgrass.

John Kain
07-22-2006, 6:05 PM
I can definitely rule out Bermuda grass for you.

My lawn is Tifway Bermuda. Bermuda is beautiful grass, not that thing.

My vote is crabgrass as well.

Crabgrass can only really be controlled by using a pre-emergent crabgrass treatment down here in the south. Once you've got it, you really have to pull 'em as they come up, or be really anal about putting the preemergent treatment on every spring, sometimes twice.

Mark Singer
07-22-2006, 8:58 PM
I had it last night with salad dressing....balsamic vinegar:confused:

Joe Mioux
07-22-2006, 10:13 PM

I am not so sure about the crabgrass salad, but pass me some Dandelions or Purslane and I'll enjoy a salad with you Mark.

I bet you have some really really good Balsamic!

Joe

Frank Hagan
07-23-2006, 1:41 AM
Looks like crabgrass ... it has a bit of a similar look to St. Augustine, but nothing like bermuda grass!

You can spot kill it with Round-Up, but it kills nearly everything it touches. So you have to either take the time to pin-point spray it or use a dauber to swab it with. It will die off in the winter, and you can use something like Scotts with Halts (a pre-emergent weed killer) in the spring to minimize the infestation.

If its really bad, you can spray the whole lawn with Round Up, wait 7 days, rake the dying stuff out as much as possible and overseed with a bluegrass/rye mixture (or whatever grows in your area). In about 3 weeks (with ryegrass) you have a lawn again. But depending on where you live, that might be a very short term option!

Joe Pelonio
07-23-2006, 1:11 PM
100% white vinegar sprayed on it while hot and sunny will kill it fast too, but any overspray will kill the good grass that it touches.

John Lohmann
07-23-2006, 8:53 PM
I'll buy it by the ounce or pound, I don't think you should sell it on the internet though.:p

Eddie Watkins
07-24-2006, 2:40 PM
I vote crabgrass. Pre-emergent is the easiest cure before the last freeze and again in about 90 days to keep you weed free all summer. Once it's up you can get MSMA and spray the lawn. It will kill the crabgrass but it will also make bermuda and fescue turn yellow and get really sickly for a few weeks. If it gets too hot it could possibly kill the good grasses. I have been trying to kill sand burs for nearly three years now and that is the treatment we have used for them as well since they are a grass. We have gone from totally infested to just a few plants here and there. Supposedly it takes 3-5 years for the seeds to die so we keep putting the pre-emergent down to prevent germination.

Eddie

Dennis Peacock
07-24-2006, 5:44 PM

Eeewwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!! :p :D