PDA

View Full Version : Chest of drawers progress.....

chris del
07-22-2006, 10:16 AM
I have been working on this chest of drawers for a while now and the casework is all done.
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i309/pickeringwoodworker/Picture572.jpg
I had about 25 BF of birdseye maple kicking around that I had planned to use for the drawer fronts, but yesterday when I dressed the rough BE maple I descovered that it was much higher quality than I thought. Now I am not sure that I want to waste it on a simple chest of drawers....
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i309/pickeringwoodworker/Picture573.jpg

What should I do?????

Tim Solley
07-22-2006, 10:28 AM
I say go for it. That BE maple will make your chest look awesome! Are you planning to make the case a darker color? If so, the contrast of a little darker case with unstained BE drawers will look fantastic. Just my opinion though. I just finished a dresser that has curly maple drawers, and I really like the outcome.

Tim

tod evans
07-22-2006, 10:30 AM
go ahead chris, wood grows on trees:rolleyes:

Russ Massery
07-22-2006, 12:53 PM
I for one wouldn't think for a moment that it would be a "waste" on that chest. Another vote for Going fo it! If it need to be darken I would dye the Birdseye.

Jerry Olexa
07-22-2006, 2:44 PM
Use it on the ch of drawers!! Already looks good..That wood will complete the qua;ity look...

Jeffrey Makiel
07-22-2006, 7:02 PM
Chris...Are you kiddin'???? That's a perfect use for this wood! The only recommendation that I can make is that you post pictures of the finished product! Otherwise, I'll sick the moderators on you!

Keep us informed (with pics).

That's why I log into this forum...for inspiration!

cheers, Jeff :)

John Miliunas
07-22-2006, 7:10 PM
In its infancy, BE Maple was considered "scrap" wood, due to its "flaws"!!!:eek: People finally learned of its rarity and it came into fashion on fine furniture pieces and has remained as a mark for fine furniture and craftsmanship. That chest has already got all the makings of a fine piece of furniture. Figure it out, Chris!!! :D Go for it!!! :) :cool:

chris del
07-31-2006, 6:55 PM
Well. I have not had much time to work on it. but I did decide to use the BE maple for the drawer fronts, and glad I did! . Some of my drawer boxes still have to be made, but I wanted to get the case and the drawer fronts finished so that the coat of boiled linseed can sit a week or so before I shoot a couple of coats of 2 lb shellac. This down time will be usefull to finish the drawer boxes and back......

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i309/pickeringwoodworker/wood005.jpg

Martin Shupe
07-31-2006, 7:00 PM
Beautiful! You have made an excellent choice! Nothing like BE maple drawer fronts. Outstanding workmanship and execution.

Don't forget to post pics after you complete the finish.

Thanks for sharing, truly motivating!

John Miliunas
07-31-2006, 7:15 PM
Lookin' good, Chris! Real, real good!!! :) Yup, I agree...Me thinks you made the perfect choice and the detail on that whole piece is beautiful. Gonna' be waiting on "final product" pics real soon!!! :) :cool:

Vaughn McMillan
07-31-2006, 7:22 PM
Great choice, Chris. I can hardly wait to see the finished version.

- Vaughn

Ron Jones near Indy
07-31-2006, 7:50 PM
Chris,
You have changed a simple chest of drawers into a CHEST OF DRAWERS! Excellent use of BE. This chest will be a source of pride for the lucky owner for generations.

Gail O'Rourke
08-01-2006, 7:26 AM
Gorgeous wood and an awesome project. Beautiful.

Mark Singer
08-01-2006, 7:44 AM
Very nice! Beautiful wood!

Martin Lutz
08-01-2006, 10:30 AM
That is awesome!! great choice, nice work. I hope to see pics when you have it finished.

Julio Navarro
08-01-2006, 10:41 AM
Beautiful work Chris.

I would be interested to know how you made the jointery. Is mortise and tenon for the sides of the chest and the rest?

Roy Wall
08-01-2006, 10:46 AM
Absolutely Terrific Chris!!!!

We're all glad you used the BEM ......what a great LOOK!!!

Shelley Bolster
08-01-2006, 11:05 AM
The message is gone, so am I

chris del
08-01-2006, 11:43 AM
Thanks you all the kind words......
As a person, I have always lacked paitence so it was natural for me when woodworking to stick to the projects that can be finished in a weekend.
This chest of drawers has taught me allot about taking my time, doing things properly and sequencially... With a new baby in our house I have only been about to spend a couple hours in the shop here and there and this chest has been in progress for a couple of months but it is all worth it!!!

As for Julio's question, construction is mortice and tennon. Dust frames are connected to the carcass with a tennon in the front, biscuit on the back. All stock is a full 1". Dust frames are built with Cherry and poplar with 3/8" baltic birch panels. All drawer boxes are 3/4" poplar with 3/8" baltic birch bottoms. Excluding the 2 small drawers that are built with 1/2" poplar and 1/4" bottoms.

Size is 20" deep, 40" wide, 50" tall.

Rich Torino
08-01-2006, 11:43 AM
That is going to be on great looking chest of draws.. Well spent Birds Eye...

chris del
08-21-2006, 7:22 AM
Well, its all done.

The finish is boiled linseed oil, 3 coats of poly and wax.
The combination of the maple center guides and the formika wear strips make even the largest drawers open with ease.
This is my first chest of drawers and it is decieving how many pieces are involved and how big a project this really is. I am very happy and proud of the final result.
I have decided to make matching night stands.
Finished dimentions are 40" wide x 20" deep x 50" tall.

John Miliunas
08-21-2006, 8:12 AM
Chris, I hereby "officially" declare that as being: Kick-butt!!! :D Well done job on a piece destined to become a family heirloom! :) Great job, Chris! :) :cool:

Jim Becker
08-21-2006, 9:03 AM
Wow...that's really lovely, Chris! Good choice on the BE...it really makes the piece special.

Corey Hallagan
08-21-2006, 10:18 AM
Wow, that is a spectacular piece Chris. Nice work all around!

corey

Dave Shively
08-21-2006, 11:55 AM
Chris it looks fantastic so far! I think you did right by using the birdseye maple for the drawer fronts, you will be happy with it I'm sure.

Dave

Lon LeBlanc
08-21-2006, 1:24 PM
Wow!!!! It's beautiful.

Lon

Brett Baldwin
08-21-2006, 1:44 PM
Great piece Chris. The contrast is great and workmanship looks outstanding. For someone who professes to like weekend projects, I think you've definitely spent your time well here.

David Duke
08-21-2006, 1:48 PM
Really nice looking piece Chris, as has already been stated I don't think you could of found a mor appropriate place for use ot the BE Maple.

scott spencer
08-21-2006, 1:59 PM
Looking good Chris...I'd definitely go for the birdseye. ...."a birdseye in hand beats two in the bush" :rolleyes:

chris del
08-21-2006, 2:07 PM
Thanks for all the kind and positive words about my latest project....
The craftsmanship is far from flawless, but I couldnt be happier with the end result..... I feel this was a great project to develope/sharpen my skills as it requires so many different skills to complete.
I look forward to building those side tables!

Chris

Dave Shively
08-21-2006, 8:52 PM
Chris you will be happy with the birdseye maple. Can't wait to see it when it is done.

Dave

Jim Tobias
08-21-2006, 8:58 PM
That is absolutely gorgeous! The bird's eye maple just makes such a streong statement on the front of the chest. I think yu will look back at this as one of your favorite pieces ever, even as you make other nice furniture.

Jim