PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G0409 Movability

Martin Gerber
07-22-2006, 8:31 AM
I am considering buying a G0490 but will need to move it in and out of position when I use it due to my shop size. How easy is it to move? Main movement will be pulling it straight out.

Russ Massery
07-22-2006, 8:43 AM
I have one for the size and weight. It moves rather easily.

Jeff Kerr
07-22-2006, 10:38 AM
I agree with Russ. I have one and even though it is a heavy bugger, it rolls pretty easy on those 3 casters. :p

Allen Bookout
07-22-2006, 10:50 AM
Welcome Martin,

I have a spring scale and I just hooked it to my GO490 and gave it the test. I have a concrete floor that is pretty smooth. The scale shows approx. 25 lbs of pull to move it both in a straight line lengthwise and ninety degrees to the length of the beds.

I had never really thought about it but it is easier to move than I would have said off of the top of my head. I don't know why as I move it around quite a bit. I think that it is easier to move than my 3hp cabinet saw which is on a mobile base.

As Russ and Jeff indicated----a piece of cake.

Allen

Jim O'Dell
07-22-2006, 2:11 PM
Martin, will you be able to move this length wise? (as in the length of the bed) or do you need to pull it straight out from the wall with the beds parallel to the wall? The reason I ask is when I get a jointer, and I thought I would get the G0490 this year, but won't be able to now, I questioned several with them about being able to move it out from the wall, while keeping the beds parallel to the wall. What I understood is that this is not as easy. The bed outfeed bed would need room to swing as the infeed bed is pulled from the wall. I had asked several if the casters would rotate 90 degrees to accomplish what I needed, and again understood that they would not. I'm still leaning toward this jointer, as the comments from it's users were all positive after the bent motor bracket problems the first several shipments had. I've not seen any problems with that in the last 2 months or so on any of the forums I visit, so I'm thinking they got that transprtation problem resolved. I will have to modify the base somehow to get it to slide parallel away from the wall, as I don't have the room on either end of it to do otherwise. Once I get it 4 feet from the wall, I have clear path to run long boards through it. Something to think about. Jim.

Scott Vigder
07-22-2006, 5:07 PM
I had asked several if the casters would rotate 90 degrees to accomplish what I needed, and again understood that they would not.

I have the G0490 (since nov 05), and I am not aware of any 8" jointer that has swivel casters like the ones you have described. This huge aircraft carrier is incredibly easy to manuever.

Jim O'Dell
07-22-2006, 5:35 PM
Scott, my question at that time was could the casters be mounted 90 degrees so that they would roll the direction I wanted them. I didn't expect swivel casters. Hope this clears up what I so badly tried to describe. :o
You say it is easy to move, if it was against the wall for storage so that other machines would be usuable, beds parallel with the wall, with another wall 12" from the end of the infeed table, and a BS 12" away from the end of the outfeed table, and you needed to move it 4 feet out from the wall to use it, would it be that manueverable? Jim.

Allen Bookout
07-22-2006, 6:56 PM
Jim,

I currently have mine stored between my dust collector and a table that holds my planner. I do not have more than 6 inches clearance on each end. It is no problem. Just like parallel parking a car. The wall might be a little bit of a problem. You might not be able to easily get it right up against the wall but should not be a problem to get close. I am going to be tied up most of the rest of the night and most of tomorrow or I would set up a temporary wall and give it a try. I will try when I get a chance and let you know.

Allen

Jim O'Dell
07-22-2006, 7:26 PM
Thanks, Allen! In my mind I envision pulling out on the infeed end with the swivel, and the back end against the wall digging into the wall as it pulls out. Maybe it wouldn't be a problem and possibly I wouldn't need to have it touching the wall. I'll look when I get into the shop tomorrow, IF I get to get into the shop. I had originally planned to get and install the roof venting this weekend with the lower temp (mid 90's:eek: ), but today was shot fixing lawn mowers, mowing, and doing some maintenance on the computers. I appreciate you going thru that step for me. I'm in no hurry, really.
Martin, I turn the thread back over to you!!:eek: ;) I really didn't mean to hijack it, honest. Jim.

Scott Vigder
07-22-2006, 8:55 PM
You say it is easy to move, if it was against the wall for storage so that other machines would be usuable, beds parallel with the wall, with another wall 12" from the end of the infeed table, and a BS 12" away from the end of the outfeed table, and you needed to move it 4 feet out from the wall to use it, would it be that manueverable? Jim.

Yes and no. if you have equipment a foot away from either end of the jointer, you are going to have to walk it back and forth a few times to get it out. You also need to allocate a solid 12"-18" from the back to the wall to account for the back of the fence.

Bottom line is for the money, you cannot find a better jointer, mobile or not!

Allen Bookout
07-23-2006, 1:45 PM
Martin and Jim,

I just got back in from moving my GO490 in and out a few times with minimal room on each end and it was no problem. I can do it with one movement with less than 6" leeway on both ends and not hit the back wall. This is due to the fact that the two fixed wheels on the outfeed end of the base are within 15" of the end of the outfeed table end (vertical plane). You could probably do it with 2" on each end. The jointer from back to front when sitting against the wall is 24" or about the standard width of a cabinet or basic tool.

Logically it just did not seen that it would be able to make this maneuver but it will.

I hope that this is good news for you.

Allen

Jim O'Dell
07-23-2006, 3:24 PM
Allen, Thank You!! You know, the fact that the base/fence, as someone on this thread mentioned (yeah, things sink in slowly sometimes with me :rolleyes: ) would allow the swing in the beds that I was worried about. I've been out in the shop half the morning cutting down an old stand so I can mount my dads old RAS on, and mount a Herc-U-Lift under it for mobility, and never once thaought about the jointer! I appreciate you taking the time to play with this. Hopefully it will help Martin and others. Enjoy the rest of yor weekend! Jim.