PDA

View Full Version : Gloat in progress......

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
07-22-2006, 7:53 AM
I'm doing some mods to my lathe stand (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=39905), and while cutting off some old welds I managed to burn up one of my angle grinders, it was a cheaper one, so I'm not upset, but I also do not want to wear out my other better quality one.

I decided to get hold of one of the 6" units.

I went to 3 shops today, no one has one, they all have the smaller ones, but I don't want one of those, I want a big one to get the job done (the 6" discs will be better for getting into some of the corners to unweld them as well :rolleyes: ).

One of the shops I went to, the guy said sorry, they can order it next Monday, and it will come maybe on Thursday......:mad:

The other guy standing there, (the owner it turns out) said that he has one, if I don't mind buying a used one....:D

Sure thing, it is a Makita 9206, all metal, and a 6" unit......

Now new, here in Japan, they are about $350 US MSRP, I can get them at Joyful for about 65% of that or $228.

Now this unit is not "New" but it has never, or hardly been used. Heck, the only scratches I could find on it were on the nut you tighten that holds the disc.

I ask him how much, he says $200, I say that the guard is missing, so is one of the wrenches, and such, sure it is in new condition, but it is NOT a new unit. OK he says, how much are you willing to pay, I said $100 (expecting him to say $150) but he says, DEAL! :D

I know not a big gloat by US standards, but I'm pleased....... now I got to find somewhere that sells the 6" discs..... :rolleyes:

Cheers!

Bob Childress
07-22-2006, 8:08 AM
Great looking grinder for $100. You are a tough negotiator, although he might have traded you for a couple of cases of Kirin.;)

tod evans
07-22-2006, 8:10 AM
6" makita grinder for a hundred bucks.....nice score stu!

07-22-2006, 8:42 AM
OK, this thing is older than I though it was, should not be a problem, but funny.

I cannot find ANYTHING on the web about it, in fact, the way they even call it, the name on the tool is different than now a days :eek:

Works just fine, all I need is some disks, and maybe the guard thing, but the parts from newer ones should fit, no problem.

Cheers!

Julio Navarro
07-22-2006, 8:51 AM
Great gloat Stu. Now about those mods to your lathe stand....(looking around for the pic police):p

07-22-2006, 9:22 AM
Great gloat Stu. Now about those mods to your lathe stand....(looking around for the pic police):p

I'm working on it, did you not see the link (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=39905) <- it is a link.....click it......I dare ya... :D

Julio Navarro
07-22-2006, 10:53 AM
:cool::p:cool: