PDA

View Full Version : Keeping walnut straight

Jim Guy
07-22-2006, 6:23 AM
I have a fair amount of walnut I have had stickered for about 3 years in a hay loft. I am moving and had someone else more it to the new location and they did not sticker it at all. It is however stacked pretty straight.

Will I have a problem with this as is, or should I resticker it?

Thanks

Ian Abraham
07-22-2006, 6:37 AM
If it's air dried for 3 years it's about as dry as it's going to get air dried.

Unless you are moving it to a much different climate it will be fine flat stacked.

Stickers are only needed to allow even airflow when the wood is drying, if there is no drying happening.. not needed

Cheers

Ian

Steve Strickler
07-22-2006, 7:16 AM
You didn't mention how thick the walnut is.
If it's REAL thick, it might not be dry.

Jim Guy
07-22-2006, 7:46 AM
Almost all the wood is 1 in thick.

Ian Abraham
07-22-2006, 7:52 AM
Almost all the wood is 1 in thick.

It was probably dry 2 years ago then ;)

Unless it's like 6" beams then it will be dry. The 1 year per inch is a worst case combination of wood / climate, usually it's dry before then.

Cheers

Ian

Steve Strickler
07-22-2006, 9:07 AM
It is as dry as it will get via air-drying.

You will find that your air-dried walnut will have superior color and workability as compared to kiln-dried material as well. It should cut like butter!

Get some out and enjoy it!

Jim Guy
07-22-2006, 9:21 AM
Thanks for the replies. I will leave it as is.

Frank Fusco
07-22-2006, 9:55 AM
What do you mean by "stickered" ? When I first read your post I thought you meant labeled so you would know date first cut and stored.

Corey Hallagan
07-22-2006, 10:23 AM
Frank, using sticks between the layers of wood as it is stacked allows air flow throughout the whole stack and allows even drying thru the stack.

Corey

Frank Fusco
07-22-2006, 1:36 PM
Frank, using sticks between the layers of wood as it is stacked allows air flow throughout the whole stack and allows even drying thru the stack.

Corey

Oh! I do that, just didn't know I was doing "stickers". Sticking the sticks makes them stickers. OK. :p

Jim Becker
07-22-2006, 10:38 PM
I find that my black walnut (air dried on the property) has been very stable, even when still slightly green a few years ago. I do still tend to use very thin stickers on my racks just to let air circulate, however. Personal preference and not required if the wood is dry to an appropriate MC.

David Rose
07-22-2006, 11:09 PM
Actually, Frank, I think it is stacking the stock on the stickers which are sticks that is stickering. :D

David

Oh! I do that, just didn't know I was doing "stickers". Sticking the sticks makes them stickers. OK. :p

Vaughn McMillan
07-23-2006, 12:30 AM
Actually, Frank, I think it is stacking the stock on the stickers which are sticks that is stickering. :D

David
Stick it in your stock and stack it. :p

- Vaughn

Robert Mickley
07-23-2006, 7:42 AM
you know this is beginning to sound like a sticky situation :D

Frank Fusco
07-23-2006, 7:58 AM
Is this topic a 'sticky'? ;)

Jim Becker
07-23-2006, 9:37 AM
I think you folks have been sniffing too much of Mark Singer's Schlamaca stock...black walnut doesn't usually have this effect... :D