PDA

View Full Version : The Computer Desk

Ian Abraham
07-22-2006, 4:16 AM
You know how computers are boring beige boxes.. and we build desks to hold them up off the floor.

Well I got to thinking...

Then I got to cutting...

To Be continued

Ian Abraham
07-22-2006, 4:22 AM
These pics show..

The wooden cradle that holds the computer 'bits' in the desktop. It's easily removable for repair or upgrade. If computer parts change radically in the future I will only need to change the cradle.

Then starting to build the desk itself.

The top frame of the desk.

With the PC cradle fitted.

And the desktop sitting over that.

TBC....

Ian Abraham
07-22-2006, 4:27 AM
The back of the desk has all the usual computer ports, video, network, USB etc.

Then the desk ready to finishing.

A couple of shots of the 'completed' PC.. it even runs :D Still got a bit of work with wiring and some more lights to go under the glass, but it's all go as a PC now.

The main cooling fan is a 'glow in the dark' LED one, so thats a start :D

Cheers

Ian

Tom Sherman
07-22-2006, 5:35 AM
Ian that is thinking outside the box, great computer desk.

Curt Harms
07-22-2006, 6:51 AM
Good job! That box is not boring. The power supply, MOBO, and drives don't appear to be attached to metal. Did You run into any issues with stray RF or grounding?

Curt

Ian Abraham
07-22-2006, 7:01 AM
The power supply, MOBO, and drives don't appear to be attached to metal. Did You run into any issues with stray RF or grounding?

I'm guessing it probably puts out 10X the RF that a normal metal cased PC does, but my radio / TV / phones aren't affected and none of my neighbours are Ham radio nuts.. so .. No issues :rolleyes:

Ian

Art Mulder
07-22-2006, 7:06 AM
Ian,

I love the rough/natural edge on the front of the desk.
I also like how you have the CD drive hidden, yet still easily accessible from the front. (Really, they're used, but not THAT often).

The legs seem a bit plain, though, considering the lovely sculpted rough edge of the top and the kbd tray. I think I would have given them a bit of a taper.

Have you checked the BIOS to see how hot the system is running? Got enough cooling action going on?

One suggestion I would make would be for front-accessible USB ports. Those are used constantly, for hooking up cameras and USB Memory Sticks.
Oh, and also, what about a front-accessible reset button? (or are you running Linux and never need to worry about locked up computers? :p)

best,
...art

ps: EDIT - HOLY SMOKES that is a THICK top! I just went back and saw the picture that had your hand in it. Wow. This could double as a work bench!

Karl Laustrup
07-22-2006, 7:07 AM
Ian, that is way KEWEL!!:cool: :cool:

Great looking 'puter desk. :)

Karl

Ian Abraham
07-22-2006, 7:34 AM
Hi Art

Yes I agree with you about the legs... they are.. ummm.. functional.. Some more elegent tapered ones will be incorporated into MKII ;)

The cooling seems fine.. I've run it for a few hours.. popped the glass out and the CPU is still cool. Also it's only a Celeron, so less heat generated anyway.

I have thought about the front USB and will probably rig something up from the extra onboard ports, or mount a USB hub under the keyboard shelf. Thats on the list with the rest of the lights and tidying up the wiring in general.

I've attached a couple more pics, one is the switch panel under the left side of the keyboard shelf. Switches for power, reset, and lights. And at the right side is the CD drive, hidden but accessable from the front.

And yes.. the top is about 2 1/2 " thick. I must post some pics of the other desk I did for LOML's office. Same thickness top, but 11 ft long x 2 1/2 ft wide. That is a serious computer desk ;)

Cheers

Ian

Ray Bersch
07-22-2006, 11:30 AM
I like the glass top so you can actually watch the computer working! That would give me something to do after the paint dries and during the winter when grass does not grow!

Great fun job - hope you enjoy it.
Ray

Peter Stahl
07-22-2006, 2:03 PM
Ian that really cool. I'd like to see you do a laptop.

Vaughn McMillan
07-22-2006, 4:30 PM
Neat idea, Ian. Like Tom said, it's thinking outside the box...literally. What kind of wood did you use? (And of course we'll look at pics of your bigger desk if you've got some.)

And to think you built the whole thing with just a chain saw. Man, you Kiwis sure are a resourceful lot. :D

- Vaughn

Scott Vigder
07-22-2006, 5:01 PM
The World's First True Computer Desk! Hello, patent office......

Ian Abraham
07-22-2006, 6:02 PM
This is some pics of the BIG computer desk.

It was designed to fit in the small office with 1/2" spare each end, so getting it into place was interesting. I machined the top and transported it to site in two pieces, glued it up and finished it there for ease of handling and to prevent damage during transit. Then the 6 individual pieces were assembled in place.

Anyway it holds the 2 PCs, space for the filing cabinets at each end and large shelves above each end.

Oh.. and this was actually my first paying woodwork project. :)

Ian Abraham
07-22-2006, 6:11 PM
Some construction pics.

Used to sawmill to rip a straight edge on the 2 slabs, then mounted the router onto the mill frame to joint / plane the slabs. So I do have a couple of tools other than my chainsaw ;)

I routed some slots in the two faces to be joined and used some small loose tenons to align the boards as I glued them up. Sorta like home made biscuit joints. Clamped them together with cargo strops. Last pic is filling the knot holes and other dings in the top prior to a final sand and finishing.

Ian Abraham
07-22-2006, 6:15 PM
The last 2 pics show the construction of the legs. The top and bottom rails are made from 3 x 3/4" boards laminated together. I cut the mortises in the centre piece of the glue up before assembly, then the uprights were just inserted into the top and bottom rail and glue in place. A bit crude, but it worked well. :)

Cheers

Ian

Jeffrey Makiel
07-22-2006, 6:56 PM
I don't know which is more difficult, getting the computer work properly, or getting the wood working joints nice and snug.

I'm guessing the woodworking is more skilled. But it doesn't matter, you possess both skills!

cheers, Jeff