PDA

View Full Version : Wood and Chainsaw Gloat

Vaughn McMillan
07-22-2006, 3:26 AM
Got to work this afternoon (I'm working really strange hours right now) and noticed a large branch (14" diameter) had broken on one of the trees on our company property. (Based on the shape and smell of the leaves I think it's some type of eucalyptus, but I'm too tree species-challenged to know for certain.) I sent a message to the Facilities Manager asking to have the tree service guys set a few big pieces aside for me when they removed the branch. He answered back that he was going to cut it up himself later, and I was welcome to have any of the bigger pieces I wanted. I went out later and checked, and he was on a ladder, trying to cut smaller (4") brances off with a Stanley carpenter's saw. Not very successfully, I might add. Realizing he was not going to get the tree cut up with that saw in my lifetime, I told him I'd go get a saw and cut up and haul away the big stuff, but I didn't have a way to get rid of the smaller branches and foliage. He jumped on the offer for me to cut up the big stuff and leave the rest for him to clean up later. This was about 4:30 in the afternoon, and the branch had fallen in such a way that it needed to be cut up today...it couldn't wait until Monday.

I have a 10" Craftsman electric chainsaw that was found in LOML's garage when we sold her house. It's probably 30 years old, and I'm sure the chain has never been sharpened. Not much faster than the handsaw. I decided it was time for a gas chainsaw. Since I had to buy on short notice, and on a somewhat limited budget (about $200), I went to the Lowe's that's about 5 minutes from work to pick out a saw. (Any shops that would sell pro chainsaws would be closed by 5:00, and I already figured a Stihl was out of my budget.) Among the saws Lowes offered, they had a $200 Husky that looked decent on paper, but they were out of stock. I couldn't spring for any of the bigger Husky models, so in blatant disregard for advice I'd seen here on SMC, I decided to buy a $150 Poulan model. I figure I might use a chainsaw three or four times a year, so I figured I'd chance it and get a "homeowner" saw. It's got a 40cc engine and an 18" bar, and it also came with a case. (I was planning to buy a case, since there's no way I'm hauling an oily chainsaw in my Lexus without one.) I figured I'll take a drubbing from the SMC gang for buying a Poulan chainsaw, but hey, I've got a Sears lathe and nobody's sent me threatening letters. Yet. :p

Anyway, enough of my making a long story longer. I'll cut to the chase. The saw worked great, and I got enough wood to keep myself busy, even though I divided the wood between me and co-worker who's also a woodturner. My haul doesn't hold a candle to most of the ones I've seen posted here (including Bernie's Elm/Walnut stuff today), but for Los Angeles logging and an out of shape nancy boy like me, it's a good load. Of course I picked a very hot and humid day to do it, and I was soaked with sweat by the time I was done. (Glad I went home to change clothes before cutting it all up.) I got several good crotches, and one little 8" burl (I think), so I'm pretty sure there's some nice stuff waiting to be found in the logs. I got everythig sealed up tonight with a nice thick coat of old Zinsser latex primer, since I really don't want to deal with any splits in this stuff.

Here's the proof...The complete haul, including the saw (in colors only a Marketing Department could love):

An example of the heartwood, and a bit of inclusion stuff:

The little burl:

A crotch that I think will be fun to open up:

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. Let the beatings begin. :D

- Vaughn

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
07-22-2006, 4:00 AM
The "Wild Thing"......:D

Oh lord, you are going to get it just for the name and the colors!

I think you done good, buy yourself a good chain sharpening guide jig, and learn to use it, you can even sharpen up that old C-man electric in no time flat (might be a different sized file?).

Have fun, stay safe, those "Wild Things" can bite! :eek:

I think you may have just earned a new nickname......

Vaughn "Wild Thing" McMillan 43238

:D:D:D:D

Cheers!

Barry Stratton
07-22-2006, 4:02 AM
Another great gloat, and a double at that. Well done Vaughn!!!

Vaughn McMillan
07-22-2006, 4:33 AM
...I think you may have just earned a new nickname......

Vaughn "Wild Thing" McMillan 43238

:D:D:D:D

Cheers!
Don't MAKE me come over there, Tokyo Boy! :p:D:p

- Vaughn

P.S. You get bonus points for use of color, I must say. :rolleyes:

Tom Sherman
07-22-2006, 5:08 AM
It's all good Vaughn, as long as it chews up the wood that's what counts.

Great gloats there "Wild Thing"

sorry bout that Vaughn just couldn't resist...the devil made me do it

Art Mulder
07-22-2006, 7:22 AM
Don't MAKE me come over there, Tokyo Boy!

Hey, don't single out pour Stu. Is there *anyone* reading this thread right now who *doesn't* have a certain song running through their heads?

Could be worse. lots worse songs out there than "Wild Thing..."

nice colour to that wood. It'll have some nice contrast.

tod evans
07-22-2006, 7:56 AM
geeze-la-pete! a longhair california boy wielding a flourescent green chainsaw with graphics on the bar driving a lexus............only in california!
nice score vaughn!
tod

Christopher K. Hartley
07-22-2006, 8:33 AM
Hey Vaughn, don't let em get to you, there's nothing wrong with a Poulan. Granted, it's no Stihl, but then on a $200 budget you did fine. I don't have all the colors on mine and it's only a 14" but it gets er done! I was working with a group of tree service guys here a while back when I got all the oak. All of them were using Stihl saws. I had to chuckle to myself when I saw how often they had to pull out the tool box to work on them.:p By the way great gloat!:)

Dick Parr
07-22-2006, 8:40 AM
Congrates on both gloats Vaughn:D

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
07-22-2006, 8:46 AM
Don't MAKE me come over there, Tokyo Boy! :p:D:p

- Vaughn

P.S. You get bonus points for use of color, I must say. :rolleyes:

Now come on, admit it, I made you laugh :D

Ken Fitzgerald
07-22-2006, 9:05 AM
Nice gloat Vaughn!...........and the new tag...."Wild Thing"....it so fits an LA boy!:D

Bernie Weishapl
07-22-2006, 10:46 AM
Hey Vaughn great gloat on both counts. I was like you on a budget and bought a C-man chain saw 18". It works for me. I bought a Dremel tool (400 I think) with the chain saw sharpening jig. Works great. Wood looks great especially free wood.

Now make some chips Wild Thing. :p :D

George Conklin
07-22-2006, 10:50 AM
I've got a Sears lathe and nobody's sent me threatening letters. Yet. :p

Listen up nancy boy! Turning on that c-man lathe is wrong and I have a mind to come out there and teach you a lesson!!!

I guess that was pretty weak for a threatening letter:rolleyes: , but you kinda asked for it:p

I need to work on my threatening skills and A-hole-ness.:D

George Conklin
07-22-2006, 10:51 AM
Oh! Almost forgot. Nice haul, Vaughn:)

Scott Donley
07-22-2006, 11:23 AM
geeze-la-pete! a longhair california boy wielding a flourescent green chainsaw with graphics on the bar driving a lexus............only in california!
nice score vaughn!
todTod, that is priceless :) Now to clean the coffee of the keyboard.
Vaughn, great gloat and I like the colors, then again, I am color blind :)

Russ Massery
07-22-2006, 11:55 AM
Do I see a Vaughn the "Wild Thing" Video in the near furture? :rolleyes: Congrats on both.

Dick Strauss
07-22-2006, 12:05 PM
Vaughn,
Nice haul you got there! I can't tell if it is 'lyptus but if the leaves look like this
you're in luck.

Keep the electric chainsaw in mind for insitu trimming. Every once in a while I use a 14" electric chainsaw to knock off the corners of big pieces of wood while they are mounted on the lathe (using indexing).

Curt Fuller
07-22-2006, 1:29 PM
Nice Wood Vaughn, I mean Wild Thing.

But that saw, now that makes my heart sing. In fact if makes me everything 'Groovy".

Frank Hagan
07-22-2006, 2:09 PM
Got to work this afternoon (I'm working really strange hours right now) and noticed a large branch (14" diameter) had broken on one of the trees on our company property. (Based on the shape and smell of the leaves I think it's some type of eucalyptus, but I'm too tree species-challenged to know for certain.)
Nice score, looks like valuable stuff, although I wouldn't know until it was surfaced on two sides and ripped on one!

It might be a Red Ironbark Euc, or Eucalyptus sideroxylon, which has that distinctive bark pattern. Here's a few pics of it, showing a tree, the bark, and the foliage. Eucs are generally hard stuff, and the page at http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/dpi/nreninf.nsf/LinkView/721033C8742A8E27CA256CAE0008E6545F35DFAFEA9EE75E4A 256DEA00276C0F
has a description of the density and hardness.

Frank Chaffee
07-22-2006, 3:27 PM
Hey "Wild Thing"
Congrats on the scores.
You gonna be a real logger soon!

Frank

Lee DeRaud
07-22-2006, 3:35 PM
Hey, don't single out pour Stu. Is there *anyone* reading this thread right now who *doesn't* have a certain song running through their heads?Not only that, I've got a mental image of Vaughn kneeling in front of the chainsaw with a can of lighter fluid... :eek:

Vaughn McMillan
07-22-2006, 3:52 PM
You guys slay me. :p Stu, Tod, and George all get extra points for keyboard spray...literally made me laugh out loud. All three of y'all are welcome to come by the place any time for some lattes and biscotti. We can also have avocado and sprout sandwiches, then go do yoga. :D

Frank, I'd say you nailed the identification. The seed pods, bark, leaves, and wood tones all match to a "T". Red Ironbark Eucalyptus it is.

I'm itching to get some of the new wood turned, but it's about a bazillion degrees in my shop today and humid (for here, at least), plus I have a ton of "work" work to get done between now and Monday, so I'll be staying in the air conditioned house and out of the shop today.

Anybody remember Sam Kinison's screaming version of Wild Thing? That'd be me. :p

- Vaughn

Vaughn McMillan
07-22-2006, 3:55 PM
Not only that, I've got a mental image of Vaughn kneeling in front of the chainsaw with a can of lighter fluid... :eek:
LOL...Hard to get good sustained feedback out of a chainsaw, though, even with a big ol' stack of Marshalls. :cool:

- Vaughn

Andy Hoyt
07-22-2006, 5:53 PM
I'm confused.

Are we talking about:

Mr. Rick Vaughn "Wild Thing" McMillan or

Mrs. Rick Vaughn "Wild Thing" McMillan?

Corey Hallagan
07-22-2006, 8:18 PM
Congrats Vaughn! Enjoy the wood and the saw! Be safe.

Corey