PDA

View Full Version : Hock Blades and Craftsman Studio.????

Mark Rios
07-22-2006, 12:32 AM
Does anyone know much about Craftsman Studio? Bought anything? Customer service?

They have special pricing on Hock irons and chipbreakers right now.

I'm looking to upgrade my new/old Stanley Baileys that I just got.

Hock blades and cap irons or Lie Nielsen blades and cap irons?

Any advice and/or suggestions?

Thanks very much for your advice.

Mike Wenzloff
07-22-2006, 12:53 AM
Does anyone know much about Craftsman Studio? Bought anything? Customer service?
They have special pricing on Hock irons and chipbreakers right now.
I'm looking to upgrade my new/old Stanley Baileys that I just got.
Hock blades and cap irons or Lie Nielsen blades and cap irons?
Any advice and/or suggestions?
Thanks very much for your advice.
Craftsman Studio is a good bunch. Hock blades are great blades in either HC or A2--but I prefer HC because it is easier/quicker to hone, even though I need to hone a little more often.

LN blades are also great and I have one in my Ohio #8.

Make sure you order the proper thickness for a vintage plane as the thick OEM LN and the thick Hocks may not fit.

Take care, Mike

Mike Henderson
07-22-2006, 1:01 AM
And don't forget the LV blades - they're good and a bit less expensive. See here (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=53844&cat=1,41182,43698&ap=1). But no chipbreakers.

Mike

Mike Wenzloff
07-22-2006, 2:21 AM
Slightly more cost effective--and I do usually forget LV has them available, so thanks for the link.

Me...I'll wait for Rob to make the HC ones available.

Take care, Mike

Gary Curtis
07-22-2006, 12:52 PM
I visited Ron Hock's studio in Ft. Bragg California. I bought irons for all my 8 planes. And I got a lesson in sharpening from the master himself. Wow, what a day that was!

Gary Curtis

rick fulton
07-22-2006, 6:37 PM
Mark –

I’ve purchased several tools from Craftsman Studio, and have had no problems with quality, service, or timely delivery.

As with most retailers of quality woodworking products, the vendors have to advertise the MSRP to continue as a distributor in good standing. So make your purchase wherever you can find a good deal, it won’t last long.

Rick

Bret Olmsted
07-22-2006, 9:43 PM
I ordered a chipbreaker and A2 blade for my 607 plane. No problems with the order or the product. I would not hesitate to buy from Craftsman Studio again.

I have also ordered from Hock tools directly because I needed a size that normally is not carried by most of the sellers. No problems and I would do it again.

Corvin Alstot
07-22-2006, 10:15 PM
Hock and LN make a great blade. The finish on the LN blade is a little
better ( a least they polish the blades sides), but they both cut wood
and create a very smooth surface equally in my view, YMMV.

I however like the sloped shoulders on the LN blades (like the old
Stanley blades) and have taken to grinding the square edges off on the Hock.