PDA

View Full Version : TS blade guard and dust hood

Julio Navarro
07-21-2006, 6:05 PM
Finally finished the blade guard and armature.
Update of this post:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=39810

I used two adjustable bearing roller supports that I bought from HD that just simply seemed to be conxtantly in the way in my small shop. But boy did they come in handy for this project.

If you can make out the arm of the hood you can see the parts of the bearing roller stand I cut and welded to become a cantalevered arm for the hood.

Some of the welds

you can make out the silver (steel) arm extension holding the blade guard brackets. This is the blade guard in the highest possition.

The knob on the front bolt allows adjustment of the blade guard. This is of the guard in its ready to cut position.

I used aluminum for the guard bracket for its light weight.

This is almost the last connection to the cyclone. I only need a trunk down to the jointer and planner. Then of course I need to build the router table but at least now I will have the big tools hooked up.

Mike Cutler
07-21-2006, 7:49 PM
Julio.

I haven't been pleased with my overhead DC for the TS since I added a Jess-Em slider.
I was thinking about modifying it to better suit the current setup.
I had an idea for the blade guard. Really simple. Easy to make. and not to expensive.
I realized that it couldn't have been an original idea of my own. I over complicate everything.
Now I know where my "vision" came from.... It was your idea.:eek:

Oh well. It will save me a lot of brain work if ya'd let me copy your design.

Very nice work. I think that you will really be pleased with it. Thanks for sharing the post with us.

Julio Navarro
07-21-2006, 10:03 PM
Not sure I can take credit for this idea, I am certain Ive seen it posted here. I've looked at so many different designs and this shape just seemed more in keeping with "form follows function"

Thanks for the encouragement.

Frank Chaffee
07-21-2006, 11:31 PM
Nice work Julio!
Isn’t it nice being able to weld?:cool:
Frank

Art Davis
07-22-2006, 12:29 AM
Julio,

What do you intend to do with the bottom of the saw? I am currently beginning to install my own collection system and have been puzzling about this. If you bring the duct down from above it has to intersect the plane of the saw somewhere. It seems to me that it has to come down well back of the saw to avoid interfering with being able to crosscut long boards and has to be far to the right to avoid interfering with rips. What will you do to solve this problem?

Thanks.

Art

P.S. Your system is looking great. I think that I, too, will steal the idea of your guard, though I don't know how to weld so the rest of the setup will probably have to be different.

Dan Forman
07-22-2006, 4:07 AM
Julio.

I haven't been pleased with my overhead DC for the TS since I added a Jess-Em slider.
I was thinking about modifying it to better suit the current setup.
I had an idea for the blade guard. Really simple. Easy to make. and not to expensive.
I realized that it couldn't have been an original idea of my own. I over complicate everything.
Now I know where my "vision" came from.... It was your idea.:eek:

Mike---I have the JessEm slider, want to make an overhead DC setup as well. What is different about Julio's outfit that lends itself to the JessEm slider?

Dan

Mike Cutler
07-22-2006, 6:25 AM
Dan.

The overhead dust collector that I made is about 4 1/2" wide. it is based on a design from the Archives section of the Woodcentral board. Due to it's width, I can't get the end of the Jess-Em slider fence close to the blade without raising the DC Hood off of the table too far
Julio's design differs in that it is much "slimmer" than mine. It will allow me to position the end of the Jess-Em fence much closer to the blade.

In the following thread are some pic's of my current DC hood. It works very well actually. It just doesn't work too well with the Jess-Em.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=32926

Julio Navarro
07-22-2006, 8:39 AM
I looked at many blade guards before I came up with that design. I especially liked the blade guard that comes with laguna saws. LIke the one that Paul Cristi has on his saw, it just seemed natural. Of course his is probably a 12" blade and I left a small bump on the back of my guard for the splitter when I get it:

Julio Navarro
07-22-2006, 8:43 AM
Julio,

What do you intend to do with the bottom of the saw? I am currently beginning to install my own collection system and have been puzzling about this. If you bring the duct down from above it has to intersect the plane of the saw somewhere. It seems to me that it has to come down well back of the saw to avoid interfering with being able to crosscut long boards and has to be far to the right to avoid interfering with rips. What will you do to solve this problem?

Thanks.

Art

P.S. Your system is looking great. I think that I, too, will steal the idea of your guard, though I don't know how to weld so the rest of the setup will probably have to be different.
Art:

My saw has a 3" dust port on the back that I have a 3" plastic hose attatached to my shop vac. I too am trying to figure out how to address that so I can connect that port to my cyclone but you are right, a hose would interfere with any cuts.

One thing though, the way this cyclone sucks I might not need the dust port in the back, the 4" hose on my blade guard is positioned to catch any dust as it is being made. There might not be any dust coming out of the back of the saw.

I may have to drill some holes on the facing side of the guard from the hose. If I seal the system and have only the blade guard open the motor shorts out. It must be trying to draw too many amps.

Julio Navarro
07-25-2006, 11:11 AM
I had a chance to use the new guard I made for my TS and heres an update:

Pro:
1.) It really handles the dust collection very well, nigh a spec of dust escapes when rip cutting.
2.) Solid, there is no vibration.

Cons:
1.) The hose located on the side of the guard interferes with the mitre guage when cross cutting. My original design called fo the hose to angle upwards rather than extend horizontaly.
2.) Making angle cuts diminishes the dust collection of the guard. I will rethink how to handle this issue.