PDA

View Full Version : Texas size porch rocker

Bryan Cowing
07-21-2006, 4:13 PM
Inspired by an article in a old Wood magazine, I used another plan for the basic size of the chair. Made from shop scraps, all I bought was the dowels.43190
Lots of lathe and mortising work, I may build a few as gifts to the kids.:D

Bruce Page
07-21-2006, 4:53 PM
Very nice Bryan. I have a lot of respect for people who can build chairs. Why do you call it a "Texas size porch rocker ", is it larger than normal? Can't tell from the pic.

Bob Childress
07-21-2006, 5:20 PM
I obviously don't have nearly enough shop scraps!:eek:

Very nice rocker. The kids will love them.:)

Gary Herrmann
07-21-2006, 9:03 PM
Nice chair, when I first glanced at it I thought the back of it was nearly to the top of the garage door, then I noticed it was up on a table.

Bryan Cowing
07-23-2006, 9:27 PM
Very nice Bryan. I have a lot of respect for people who can build chairs. Why do you call it a "Texas size porch rocker ", is it larger than normal? Can't tell from the pic.
From a 1977 "Wood" magazine article I have. It's an oversize,wider and taller chair with the legs at a large 2 and 3/8" diameter. Mine starts out a few inches shorter as the lathe does only 46" so the I turn knobs and dowel them in the ends for the back legs. Actually this chair is easy to build. My biggest problem was I had no plan, only a few pictures in that old article. I found another "Wood" plan for a hickory bark seat and back rocker and used the general dimensions and tried to make it look like the Texas rocker in the article.

Shelley Bolster
07-23-2006, 10:01 PM
The message is gone, so am I

Jim Becker
07-23-2006, 10:07 PM
Outstanding, Bryan! And out of scraps, too...sheesh!

Bryan Cowing
07-24-2006, 7:29 AM
Outstanding, Bryan! And out of scraps, too...sheesh! Yes, most of the chair is left over soft maple. I even cut up a Pressure treated 2x6 :eek: to make the runners when the maple ran out. Some pine and spruce was used used to make the seat. This was my prototype, to learn how to put it together, work out the mistakes . Painting it hides the mistakes ! Next chair will have some changes. I picked up some western cedar 5/4 deck boards and 2x4, 2x6 cull from Home Depot for chair #2 :D . I may try white ash as I can get 10/4 for turning the legs.

Corey Hallagan
07-24-2006, 8:46 AM
Excellent work and a great looking chair!

corey