PDA

View Full Version : Layout question

Robert Mickley
07-21-2006, 4:08 PM
I'm working on 4 sets of bookshelves for my sister. Now if it had been up to me I would have used plywood backs but she wants solid wood. The back panels need to be 31.25 X 77 I'm toying with the idea of using my cabinet door set to make styles and rails and use floating panels. Which would help greatly with wood movement. That and I can make narrow panels that fit through the planer.The question is which way to layout the styles and rails. I'm leaning towards the left diagram, since that way I could asemble 1/2 of it, let it dry then assemble the other half.
what do you think?

Excuse the poor mspaint drafting work :D

Tom Jones III
07-21-2006, 4:14 PM
I believe that the left picture is more traditional.

I forget the name, but what about stacking narrow boards in a slot (no glue) to cover the back? ... Shiplap, thanks Larry that is the term I was looking for.

Larry Fox
07-21-2006, 4:43 PM
I agree with Tom that the left one looks more traditional. However, there is a permutation that you did not show which is the right one with the long middle piece being one piece and the middle horizontal ones being shorties. Might also be interesting. As far as the back goes, you could also shiplap them which might give a nice effect.

Ron Blaise
07-21-2006, 5:21 PM
Robert:
If you sister insist on solid wood back and you are concerned about wood movement. Why not dado some boards and lap joint them to allow wood movement yet still look good and be plenty strong?

Robert Mickley
07-21-2006, 5:22 PM
someone els handed me another layout, which I think is better, the one on the right,

jack duren
07-21-2006, 9:16 PM
Far right:) ...Jack

Julio Navarro
07-21-2006, 10:06 PM
Just a question.. wouldnt you carry the top and bottom styles all the way across so you would not see the end grain of the rail?

OOps, never mind you said you were using your door set. My bad.\

in which case I vote far right

glenn bradley
07-22-2006, 1:22 AM
I assume the backs need to be show quality because these won't be standing against a wall(?). Otherwise, once they're full of books and such, who sees the back (inside)?

I vote for dados with free stacked T&G boards.

Dennis Peacock
07-22-2006, 1:38 AM
I vote for the far right drawing. Seems a better choice to me.

Alan Turner
07-22-2006, 6:56 AM
For a bookcase, I am assuming that the back is somewhat structural. If so, then the drawing on the far right is what I believe is the traditional way to construct the frame and panel assembly.

Robert Mickley
07-22-2006, 9:36 AM
The reason I decided to use the door set is Sis doesn't put out very many books. Mostly will be a bunch of odds and ends so the inside is going to be fairly visable.

Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree. Just though it would be something differant and its not that hard to do